Travel cat crates for multiple cats?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Looking for some ideas of some travel pet crates that could for two cats. One 14 lb and one 10 lb cat.

We've done some evacuation tests and on my own it's difficult to grab 3 carriers, and 2 backpacks. Magnus needs a specific one for his knees as he as luxating patellas, so he's in a backpack.

I'd like Calcifer and Ghost to be in one together, preferably with wheels and a way to pull it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good idea since my 2 cats that get along need their shots
Amazon.com : cat carrier for 2 cats

Amazon.com

That one has wheels
Cool!
Hmmm. Pretty neat. Unfortunately those are much too small..I measured and it's not much bigger than our regular cat carrier...so for 12 and 10 lbs I don't think it would work.

Two smaller cats around 6lbs would fit comfortably!

Maybe someone will be able to recommend a larger one that they've tested for us to review 😹

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you actually placed two of your cats into one carrier?

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking for some ideas of some travel pet crates that could for two cats. One 14 lb and one 10 lb cat.

We've done some evacuation tests and on my own it's difficult to grab 3 carriers, and 2 backpacks. Magnus needs a specific one for his knees as he as luxating patellas, so he's in a backpack.

I'd like Calcifer and Ghost to be in one together, preferably with wheels and a way to pull it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VSWLY3J/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C6R4H8HP/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08S6M7K15/?tag=thecatsite

I actually have one similar to the last one. I have the stroller and the top carrier. I love that carrier and this kind definitely makes it way easier when it comes to getting kitty in and out for vet appointments.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you actually placed two of your cats into one carrier?
Formerly I did have Nobel and Lily use a single carrier.

Magnus's backpack carrier has a weight limit and cannot take two cats.

I can place all 3 in the crate and close the door. The crate is metal and very heavy...plus I don't like that the bottom isn't secure and the holes are large. So I have a lot of concerns for this method.

What I'm thinking is a large dog crate with wheels and I'm hopeful that someone else has something similar they used for emergencies and can recommend.

It just needs to get as outside, and be able to fit in the back of our neighbors van or keep them secure until our friend or family arrive, and again fit in the back of the car.

But I need to be able to get it out of the house easily, with varying ability as I have periodic mobility issues.

Were going to move the emergency supplies to a single camping backpack. Then Magnus in one backpack (which I usually wear so that he's on my chest). If I have my cane in my other hand, that leaves one hand free for carrying or pulling a single carrier.

Once we arrive at my MIL's she keeps a XL dog crate for the cats and we have their leashes and harnesses. We can even switch to a harness in the car.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Amazon.com

Amazon.com

Amazon.com

I actually have one similar to the last one. I have the stroller and the top carrier. I love that carrier and this kind definitely makes it way easier when it comes to getting kitty in and out for vet appointments.
A playpen might be nice to have in the bag but would be hard to move with cats inside because it's a soft bottom.

I'll definitely consider the stroller if I don't end up finding a large dog one! ...but I don't have anywhere to keep the base by the door. Would you recommend the carriers that come with it for a difficult to load cat? I could look in to an outside storage bin for the base.

TortieCat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use this carrier (the 26" version) for my two cats, they're 16 and 11 pounds. The carrier does have a soft bottom but I've cut out a large piece of cardboard and put it on the bottom, it is now sturdy enough to carry the cats to the car (but pretty heavy lol)

Amazon.com

IMG_2535.JPG

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes my cat is horrible to load she is petrified of the regular carriers I have to trap her in the bathroom and back her into the regular carrier.

This the exact one we just got and she is easy to load I just pick her up put her in there pull the canopy closed it is a true game changer for my girl

Amazon.com

I picked this one because of the great warrantee. It is expensive but it comes with a limited lifetime warrantee. Any manufacturer defect is covered.

But the 2 stroller ones I sent you the stroller detaches from both of the carriers. So you could have the stroller folded up and the carriers stacked by the door? If that would work for you if you like them..

Last edited:

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
Personaly I only use the plastic air kennel type crates because soft ones can rip and are too hard to clean if a cat has an accident or throws up.

Plastic ones can be hosed off outside or in the shower. And are more secure if you happen to hit a pothole or if the airbags deploy.

When I bought mine I wanted an IATA compliant carrier too just in case I ever had to fly with my cats. Unlikly but better prepaired than not.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

If I were made of money, my cats would have small gunner dog crates as carriers. Expensive, but, they are roomy, light weight enough to pick up, and crash tested.
What about something like this?
Multifunctional Transportation Carrier | Pet Supermarket
(I know it's marketed for dogs, but, if you want something roomy sometimes you have to search small dog crate vs. cat carrier!)

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Personaly I only use the plastic air kennel type crates because soft ones can rip and are too hard to clean if a cat has an accident or throws up.

Plastic ones can be hosed off outside or in the shower. And are more secure if you happen to hit a pothole or if the airbags deploy.

When I bought mine I wanted an IATA compliant carrier too just in case I ever had to fly with my cats. Unlikly but better prepaired than not.

If you have any large shell ones to recommend, I'm happy to take a look. I'm happy to intake any brand recommendations, as long as there's one big enough to fit two cats (even if it's a dog one of the same brand).

I replaced all my hardshell ones after an emergency evacuation from my former apartment building where the bottom half of the shell broke off in the stairwell and sent Lily flying into a sea of people and their pets. She was scared, but not hurt. I'm lucky it was her as she was excellent with other animals, and extremely lucky the large Shepard behind us was cat-savvy. Also lucky that it was that one that broke and not the one with 10 per rats in it.

This one had been purchased from PetSmart and she was only 6 lbs at the time. The one clasp fell off and I guess that made the others too strained as only the one clasp had gone missing (I didn't bump it in to anything).

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If I were made of money, my cats would have small gunner dog crates as carriers. Expensive, but, they are roomy, light weight enough to pick up, and crash tested.
What about something like this?
Multifunctional Transportation Carrier | Pet Supermarket
(I know it's marketed for dogs, but, if you want something roomy sometimes you have to search small dog crate vs. cat carrier!)
Dog crate is probably what I'll need to look at in order to fit two cats! I like that Gunner lifetime guarantee.

Those do look tall enough that Magnus could sit in it so it wouldn't hurt his knees! I'll have to look in to where to buy in Canada.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have any large shell ones to recommend, I'm happy to take a look. I'm happy to intake any brand recommendations, as long as there's one big enough to fit two cats (even if it's a dog one of the same brand).

I replaced all my hardshell ones after an emergency evacuation from my former apartment building where the bottom half of the shell broke off in the stairwell and sent Lily flying into a sea of people and their pets. She was scared, but not hurt. I'm lucky it was her as she was excellent with other animals, and extremely lucky the large Shepard behind us was cat-savvy. Also lucky that it was that one that broke and not the one with 10 per rats in it.

This one had been purchased from PetSmart and she was only 6 lbs at the time. The one clasp fell off and I guess that made the others too strained as only the one clasp had gone missing (I didn't bump it in to anything).

Im guessing it was either not assembled correctly or cheaply made. Some of them look really cutsy or cool but aren't practical.

Anything IATA certified would preform better. They must have metal bolts so they don't break opened if the clasp fails.

eevans3373

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good idea since my 2 cats that get along need their shots
Amazon.com : cat carrier for 2 cats

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BY4Q82MC/?tag=thecatsite

That one has wheels
Cool!
Can attest that's a good carrier. It has a velcro divider that can be removed. My cats are six months old and they fit in it with plenty of space with the divider removed which is how I usually use it so they can lay together and comfort each other. Tomorrow they go in for their spay and neuter so I have the divider in.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Can attest that's a good carrier. It has a velcro divider that can be removed. My cats are six months old and they fit in it with plenty of space with the divider removed which is how I usually use it so they can lay together and comfort each other. Tomorrow they go in for their spay and neuter so I have the divider in.
Problem I have with carriers is my 6 pound cat grabs thesesides so I have to buy an extra large one. She is 11 years old, healthy, just tiny. Maybe different material she won't be able to grab?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Problem I have with carriers is my 6 pound cat grabs thesesides so I have to buy an extra large one. She is 11 years old, healthy, just tiny. Maybe different material she won't be able to grab?
I'm thinking a dog crate is the way to go..they are usually larger and hard shell and more likely to have wheels. Perhaps similar would work for you?