Traumatised cat of carrier

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Today was suppose to be her annual vaccine and check up.
I got her last Tues from her owners and she was spayed 10 days before that at age of 2.
I am using a large back pack. This was the same back pack I used to bring her back.
But this te she turned full pa IC mode dragging the bag and jumping and twisting until now she has been hiding in a corner shivering with fear. Call dthe previous oneer who was a breeder and she replued ahe has been very apprehensive on getting into carriers.
Cancelled teh appt. Vet asked me to. Get her calm down.
Will be getting those large box carrier but how am I going to build her confidence now? She is too scared to come out from her hiding spot.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Almost all cats absolutely hate the carrier. She is new too, traumatized from her spaying, so is terrified out of her mind. Just let her hide, talking soothingly to her, and make sure she has food, water, and a litter box near where she is hiding, this may take a few days. once she is more settled, get a box type carrier that either has the side fold down, those work great, and set her in the carrier and gently bring up the side to close it, or prop a front opening carrier on its bottom, with opening up, take her by the skin on the back of the neck to calm her, supporting her rear end in your other hand, lower her quickly into the carrier before she realizes what you are doing. You must be fast, and gravity will help you get her in there. It is almost impossible to 'push' a terrified cat into a front-load carrier. I find the side open one works the best, they don't feel trapped until it is too late. They are triangle-shaped, I got mine on Amazon, I'm sure online Walmart and others have them too, good Luck!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Most of the box carriers come in two pieces, top and bottom. Wait to put them together. Leave the bottom opened, and put food/treats in there until she feels safe with it. At that time, add the top, and continue to offer good things in the carrier. Once she is secure with that, you can attach the door. One step at a time. Your vet should be able to give you some medication to help calm her, as well.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Today was suppose to be her annual vaccine and check up.
I got her last Tues from her owners and she was spayed 10 days before that at age of 2.
I am using a large back pack. This was the same back pack I used to bring her back.

What kind of back pack? A back pack-style pet carrier or a regular back pack meant for school / hiking? The latter is not suitable at all to carry pets except maybe in an emergency situation.

A regular box-type pet carrier is best. You can choose from a typical hard plastic one or a soft sided one. Choice is preference and what your cat can't escape from. One of my cats can claw his way out of a soft sided carrier by clawing at the seams until they rip and a big enough hole is made for him to get his head out :eek3: So he now only uses a plastic carrier. A double door plastic carrier will make putting a cat inside easy. Just open the top door and put the cat in.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's the large carry back pack.
Think normal box also she may not go in. She too traumatised as now she does not want to leave the room and also hides in a corner when thee is any noise.

Attachments

hurricanemix100

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Put treats in it. That should work for the first few times until she knows every time you put treats in she gets taken somewhere. So once she gets wise to that you can put treats in there a few times a week and let her get them at her leisure. Just put them in there and leave the room. Then work you're way up to standing by the crate while she gets the treats. After a while she'll realize she gets treats and no vet 99 times out of 100 and the 99% chance starts overriding the fear of the one time. My cat went from terrified to sleeping in the dang crate over the about the course of 2 yyears with this strategy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Suljas

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now she does not want to leave the study room. She meows and when I pet her in the room it's fine. Once she see I carry her to the living room, she panics and runs away to the room. Should I out the back pack in her room just to let her know urs there and not to panic?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've seen those back pack style carriers before. They don't seem all that roomy or have good ventilation.

What I do with my cats is put them in the bathroom and close the door. Then I go get their carriers ready with the doors open. I slowly open the bathroom door and carefully enter, making sure neither cat is trying to escape. I gently push them back in if they try. I close the door and grab one cat. I exit the bathroom quickly, close the door (usually the other cat is hiding in the bathtub), and put cat inside carrier. Then I go get the other cat.

Some people spray the inside of the carrier with Feliway or Bach's Rescue Remedy or even catnip to help calm the cat.

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I leave the carrier out and open next to Belle’s Ripple Rug. Occasionally,I feed her in there. Sometimes, I place her inside and take her outside for a short walk. Belle doesn’t like being cooped up inside anything (she was a terrified homeless kitten caught in a live trap when we took her in) but now there’s very little drama when placing her in the carrier. She quickly settles in and is happy to take in the sights when we sit in the front yard to watch the world go by.

To get your cat back out in the open, start by creating cozy places for your cat to retreat to and closing off the unders and behinds. Unders and behinds are places that are difficult or even impossible for you to dig your cat out of. Unders and behinds have a way of sapping a cat’s confidence and make them feel small. I think it’s because cats have only a small view of their territory from there.

Cozy places are comfortable cocoons placed strategically for your cat to feel safe with a large, confidence boosting view of their territory while giving you easy access to your pet. You don’t want to be trying to pull a stubborn cat out from under a bed fifteen minutes before a vet appointment or a panicky one at 2 am while the smoke alarm is blaring.