Traumatic response

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How long does it take for the cat to respond to a traumatic event. Since his visit to the vet in the end of January he has been hiding under the bed, especially in the morning and when he sees me getting ready to go out. He is ok during the day, eats normally, enjoys going out.
When I brought himself back from the surgery he tail and belly were soiled in urine. . . He had only bloods taken, but in a full sedation...
I imagine that there must have been a dog close to his cage or something else occured.
I moved him to a different vet practice. In the meantime we also went to the pain clinic and he was just excellent there. Had a full check up...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats have a VERY adverse reation to going to the vet. Wetting himself is a sign it was traumatic. You getting ready to go out reminds him you might be taking him back to the vet. He has been through a lot. How is he doing with his mass on the side of his tongue? i am sorry but I did not get through all your posts. How is he doing with his pain? I find giving meds in Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors is easier to do if he is picky. Some cats take weeks to recover after a traumatic experience, he may take a few months. I also find giving them a calming treat before visiits helps too. That poor little boy, I pray they finally hit on something that truly helps him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some cats have a VERY adverse reation to going to the vet. Wetting himself is a sign it was traumatic. You getting ready to go out reminds him you might be taking him back to the vet. He has been through a lot. How is he doing with his mass on the side of his tongue? i am sorry but I did not get through all your posts. How is he doing with his pain? I find giving meds in Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors is easier to do if he is picky. Some cats take weeks to recover after a traumatic experience, he may take a few months. I also find giving them a calming treat before visiits helps too. That poor little boy, I pray they finally hit on something that truly helps him.

Thank you. I think it will take him months rather than weeks...
He has gone through a lot of dental visits and procedures. The mass under his tongue disappeared when he had his CT scan. But at the dental appointment he had lots of mouth ulcerations, related to some gingivitis. They eventually removed two of his teeth as well. He was on a lot of medication, including gabapentin, metacam, omeprasole and buprenorphine...
We had his last dental done in December and in the end of January he was supposed to have his blood rechecked...this is when I brought him back so traumatised... additionally they said that his blood sample got clotted and suggested to redo it in one month. I said no to this (!) and moved him to another vet. At the same surgery they got his blood clotted before and also cracked one of his teeth (they never admitted but only after it was treated at the dental vets his symptoms for better!).
In January, after the appointment, he has started hiding under the bed. So we stopped all the meds that were given via sirringe, as I was unable to do this.
I booked another appointment for him in Feb for the pain clinic and he was just so good...
But had never recovered yet from the Jan trauma...
There are times that he may run away from me in a type of heightened response...Still very often runs under the bed...any little thing stresses him a lot, it could be sudden gust of wind outside and someone knocking at the door...
He was on CBD for couple of weeks, but was so lethargic and lost his appetite, I think possibly nauseous...
Now, as per prescription from the herbal vets he has started Lions Maine, and then will get some Chinese herbs added...I mix this with lick-a-lick...
I guess, I need to be more patient and allow more time. As when he arrived at my place it took him about one year to be more confident...He had lots of trauma when he was a kitten..
He still has some problems related to trigeminal neuralgia...hence all the herbal remedies.
I was also told that he needs his dental work to be done frequently...but this means another vet visit...
At the new vets practice they asked me to bring him for an initial check up, but I explained to them the level of trauma, so they agreed to postpone...

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Even Ghost was a bit suspicious until recently of me walking through the house in my yellow coat...the one I used to take him to the vet in the winter of this year.

Do you leave some cat calming soundtrack or radio on for him? That can help keep a constant noise that stops him being startled by every small sound.

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Even Ghost was a bit suspicious until recently of me walking through the house in my yellow coat...the one I used to take him to the vet in the winter of this year.

Do you leave some cat calming soundtrack or radio on for him? That can help keep a constant noise that stops him being startled by every small sound.
Such a nice idea with some background music...
He is otherwise ok...

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t know but I would at this point try CBD treats or ask the vet for a light sedative for him for a couple of weeks or months. Just to get him to realize that he can relax at home.
I would look into and pay a mobile vet to come see him at home (and give him a sedative before the vet visit.)

Maybe until then you can try clicker training to help build up some trust? Start with he pokes out his head everyday to reach a licky treat on a plate (put it down then walk away.)

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t know but I would at this point try CBD treats or ask the vet for a light sedative for him for a couple of weeks or months. Just to get him to realize that he can relax at home.
I would look into and pay a mobile vet to come see him at home (and give him a sedative before the vet visit.)

Maybe until then you can try clicker training to help build up some trust? Start with he pokes out his head everyday to reach a licky treat on a plate (put it down then walk away.)
Thanks. He is not constantly under the bed, and when he gets out he gets some treats.
He was on CBD oil, tiny dose, and he was severely lethargic + possibly nauseous as he ate very little.
We are with herbal vets, and have started Lions mane few days ago, he is responding well to this. Then we will be adding some Chinese herbs.

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have just realised today that he is more responding to something we had to do for few months, namely medication regime. He was getting meds twice a day + additional sometimes. Unfortunately, these had to be delivered via sirringe, as he figured out when they were added to his pates and refused to eat...
So, in the morning I would carry him (like a baby) to the big towel and wrap him and then gently give him his meds, then he was getting a treat...
Looks like my presence may mean for him- medication...
We stopped the meds in the end of Jan as it was impossible to get any consistency, he was constantly under the bed.
Then I had to give him gabapentin before the pain clinic visit...After a couple of days after that, he bit me badly, which was completely out of his character but mostly related to fear ..

So now, we have remote visits with the herbal vets. I also moved him to a different vet practice.

As he was traumatised as a kitten, we got to the stage of him being re-traumatised, so he needs to learn that he is safe in my presence...
Unfortunately, we will be moving house in one year...ouch...

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with postponing vet visits for a while. I feel so sorry for him…..he is so lucky to have you……
I am trying my best, but sometimes feel like crying when I see him running away from me and diving under the bed.

Today morning, as usually he came for the cuddle, (he does not sleep with me, as I think he does not feel comfortable)...then he dived under the bed just in the moment when I got up, then visited kitchen, ate his food and treats with lions mane, and now he is on the bed!!! Great 😺

Rysiek

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He has been much better! Relaxed and happy. Even jumped on a door, which has not happened for months,!

Attachments