Trapping Difficult Sick Feral Help!!

Holliman Jane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I have been trying for the last 3 days to trap of my ferals who looks sick. He has a bunch of gunk coming out of his eyes and nose. He will NOT go near my trap. He has been TNRD before so I think he’s being smart. He sits on top of my fence for hours all day. I haven’t seen him jump down yet. I have Amox and I mix it in his food and he won’t touch it. How the do I get him off the fence and interested in food when he won’t budge?! I don’t think he has an appetite. I’ve tried Tuna, KFC, baby food, regular wet food and NOTHING entices him. I know a lady who knows all about ferals and she said she would lend my her drop trap but how do I get him in it if he won’t even get off the fence and eat? Any advice? The lady I know hasn’t replied to my texts in over a day... I feel SO hopeless:( And no he will not let me pet him. Any advice? I added a pic of him.

Attachments

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that cats have trouble eating with a stuffy nose and he might have one. I suggest a bowl of chicken broth. Warm.
Canned chicken has a lot of water in it that my cats love. Maybe he would go for that over other chicken. I find some cats prefer it heated, others like it straight from the can. Same thing with baby food. If you used chicken or turkey baby food I would suggest beef or ham. Not the usual suggestion but if he has a lack of some nutria all need he may go for those. I had an anemic kitten that gobbled those or rare beef for a few days until it started to improve. I use finely ground beef that was cooked but still a little pink. The grease was appealing too. ( yuck! I know but try everything) Getting him off the fence is priority. Once down use the drop trap. Kitten Glop might work or even kitty Pedialyte. If absolutely nothing works then there are forms of kitten milk you can get. Kitten food might work. Have you tried plain old dry cat food? Some cats want that over wet food. If he has been used to dry he may come for that. Wet is better but try it all.
Is he getting a dish to himself or are others eating there too. He may want company or the opposite. Feeding in a different place may work better. Is the only food in a trap? If so, trap free food might get him eating and then you can trap. Is the trap disguised? Camouflaged? If he is trap shy you probably will have to fool him. I had very good luck feeding in a large carrier instead. Even a cardboard box might lure him off the fence. Baby steps. Get him off the fence if possible and work from there.
I know this must but frustrating but thank you for working so hard to get him. He’s a beautiful kitty sand I hate it that he’s sick. You’re great!
Please keep us posted! :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Holliman Jane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, thank you sooo much everyone for the reply’s! I will trying everything. The drop trap lady just left and when he saw her he jumped off the fence so that’s a good sign! I wasn’t sure if he was too weak so atleast l know he’s strong enough to jump! I will keep everyone posted. Thanks again❤

Attachments

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could add Homeopet Feline Nose Relief to his drinking water and his appetite may come back. I use 10 drops per pint of filtered, bottled or good fresh well water. The other cats can drink it as well with no problem. Most of my ferals are survivors of various diseases - FIV+, Calicivirus, etc. My vet and I are also familiar with using herbal preparations including slippery elm bark, marshmallow root, and licorice root, prepared as a decoction. I have just started using colloidal silver with a particularly difficult case of URI on a 7 year old cat who is also trap savvy & there seems to be improvement. Once he is eating, I highly recommend discussing with your vet about adding L-lysine and herbs to his regimen. It is difficult for me to administer antibiotics to one particular cat so we have had to think outside the box with these ferals. Please keep us updated!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I continued to have you and kitty on my mind and it occurred to me that if you could place a table or chair below where he sits on the fence, he might jump there or even eat there and prefer it to being on the ground. I’ve often had cats that like to be up higher. Just make sure whatever you put below him is sturdy and won’t tip over when he jumps into it. You may need to prop it up or something. It might be worth trying. Especially if you think he is weak.
I’m glad he demonstrated that he can jump down and you have that trap to work with! Good luck to you and that sweet kitty!!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
He looks pretty bad. If the trap doesn't work, do you have anyone who could help you catch him and get him in a carrier? You'd need heavy (leather or welding) gloves, a spoon net (from a sporting goods store), and preferably a "crush cage" (carrier) so a vet can examine him without getting eaten alive. You might be able to borrow some or all of those things from a vet, rescue, or shelter.

Holliman Jane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. He isn’t falling for my drop trap. I’m considering later to have my rescue friend come over and she if she can grab him. She was about to yesterday. That might be my only option now but it terrifies me. He’s never shown aggression, just skittish. My heart is breaking.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might be surprised. I have grabbed sick or hurt kitties that seemed to understand that I was helping them. Use protective clothing though. Skittish makes me think he may be abandoned, lost or dumped rather than feral. I wouldn’t give up on trapping. Also try the large crate idea. Make it a bed for him or feeding station. Sometimes you can simply shut the door and get them. It make take some time but worth the effort. I’ve gotten more kitties that way than any other way. I put them under a tarp and the kitties seem to like the shelter.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are scared and your friend is willing to do the catch it might be best to call her. Being scared means you might hesitate and miss the catch. Nothing to be ashamed of, just something to be aware of and try to work around.

Holliman Jane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone. He isn’t food motivated. I don’t think he’s eaten in 3 or more days which isn’t good at all:( I put some chicken on the fence and it looked like he wanted to eat it but I couldn’t tell if he actually was because I’m trying to keep my distance. I hope he surrenders eventually. He walked away when I went out there to scare him towards the trap so now he’s on my neighbors backyard fence. Hoping he comes back this way. I put an old cat tree up against my fence so he can come down easier. Hoping he takes advantage of that.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you should scare him toward the trap. He might run the other way and you won't see him again for days. That he's hanging out in your yard/the fence, I think means he is wanting to be rescued, but his life experiences are holding him. Tell your friend you need her as soon as possible. I think she'll want to know and that she'll be there as soon as she can. If you try it on your own and fail, it will make her sad.

Holliman Jane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I will leave him alone. I don’t see him anymore so hopefully he will come back. He almost always does. That’s exactly what I was thinking. He keeps coming back and stays for hours on end so I think it’s a cry for help. She’s at work right now so it’ll be a few hours it is only 12pm here on the west coast. I will keep a cage and everything prepared. Wish us luck please

Holliman Jane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got him! Thank you everyone, you are all amazing people!! Off to the vet tomorrow morning. My rescue lady gave me the brand Muse by Purina Chicken & Shrimp and I made a little trail on top of the fence down to the drop trap and it worked! That was the first time I’ve seen him eat in days. I successfully transferred him into a regular trap and put him in my garage. Thank you again!

Attachments

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
YAY!! I have been following your story and just wanted to tell you how VERY happy I am that you caught this little guy. I hope the vet can get a good look at him and that there is any easy cure for what ails him. Thank you for working so hard to do the right thing! Please keep us posted after you see the vet.