Trapped Feral Kitten

Dee5167

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have been feeding feral cat for 8 months now & 2 weeks ago she showed up with her kitten. The kitten looks to be about 6/8 weeks old. Today I set a trap, the baby was caught I called for the mother but not seen, went back about 2 hours later called her again left food & still no show is this normal as i have taken her baby & will she return as am planning to trap her so she can get fixed. The kitten is a bit scared but not attacking us, have seen kitten eat & drink milk, when i feed the mother cat. Question, if i cant catch the mother cat or she doesn't come back will kitten be OK with out her?

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Continue trying to trap the mom. She should return eventually.

The kitten will be okay, and in fact, much better off in the long run.

Is the kitten eating wet food?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, they kitten will be OK - if you do proceed to take care of it. :) Also, this is a good time for socializing and fostering. Later on it could be more difficult. So do it NOW. :)

What food are you giving her? You mentioned milk - what sort do you give? Goats milk is excellent, cow milk less so. Kmr is OK of course.

I agree with Catsknowsme there may be more kittens, more timid ones, and that is why momma keeps near them.

Otherwise I agree its good to secure she is spayed. Probebly also returned back, unless you have excellent fostering chances.

Observe, dont give her to a shelter - most shelters dont work with semiferale adult cats. They may put in some work in fostering of kittens - they know its easy, and easy to find homes, but they seldome foster adult shy semiferles. Pts is much easier and cheaper for them.