Trapped A Feral Tonight...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lab mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone....need some advice. So, tomorrow it is a week since the kitty was neutered...he had a rough time at the vet I took him to, to say the least. But, he has been resting comfortably,hiding under an upside down box that I gave him so that he could feel safe. Over the past week I would just visit with him and feeding him, but he would not come out of under the box. So today, when I came in the room, he must have been out of the box and hid under a blanket, so I took the opporutnity to take the box away. I have other hiding places, but they keep him more visible than under a box. He has a carrier with a blanket over it and a box in a closet. Now he is really freaked out. Jumped into the window (which he hasn't done for a while) and now he is hiding in an open box in the closet. He is hissing at me more and has his ears back. Should I give him the upside down box back so he feels safe?? and let him come out in his own time??? I am not sure I am doing this right....ugh.....I am not sure keeping him inside is the best. Maybe he prefers to be outside with his freedom. We had a huge snow storm yesterday, so I was happy he was inside, safe and warm, but what if I will never be able to tame him and even if I tame him....how will I find him a home? Any advice will be appreciated
Thanks!!!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would let him hide in the box, he is so scared, and too many changes. He needs to feel safe and protected before he can feel comfortable. Just be as near the box as you can, try to move a little closer every two days or so until you can sit right next to it and talk to him. Always bring a few treats and leave them there when you go. The worst is over, the hormones will be leaving. You have not failed at all, even if he does end up back outside you have given him a wonderful gift, no more fighting, no more roaming. The other toms will ignore him now.
These things take time, just like cats need lots of time to adjust to any new changes. I'm not talking days or even weeks, more like months. You have made progress, you just want changes faster then he can give them. He is a wild animal that needs to change his whole life. You might Google taming wild feline animals and see if they give any pointers. Please keep us posted!

walli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I blocked off under the bed and Walli freaked, taking away their hiding spots seems to be a big deal
Walli has been hiding in the Living room now under the end table but she is visible, she is clearly not
happy but I figure she will get used to it, (I hope) prolly a bit much to ask for your kitty right now.