Transitioning to raw food

lindsay221

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

I've slowly been transitioning my cat to Primal Raw Rabbit formula (we started transitioning about a week ago).  Her previous food was Instinct Variety canned rabbit.  She's been on the Instinct food since the start of July.  The reason we switched to rabbit is because we believe she developed a food allergy to chicken, duck, and grain.  She began pulling out her hair in huge clumps until she was basically bald on both flanks.  She was also biting at her feet, shaking her head some, itching her ears, and scooting her bottom on the floor.  The vet suggested a food trial using a prescription venison formula.  I was definitely not thrilled with the idea because I know that the quality of prescription foods is not good.  We tried that food for about 2 days and my cat hated it.  I went out and bought the Instinct rabbit, knowing it was a novel protein that was grain free.  She loves that food and gobbles it up all the time.  I've been wary about the rabbit formula knowing that the meat is sourced from China, but she was really improving so I kept feeding it to her.  Her hair was growing back in very well and the other symptoms were diminishing.  She had gained a little weight, so about 3 weeks ago we switched from feeding the 5.5 oz cans to the 3 oz cans (this way we could easily feed her 2 3 oz cans each day, rather than feeding a 5.5oz can plus another 1/2 ounce or so).  About 2 days after feeding the 3 oz cans, symptoms began returning (especially hair pulling).  When opening the cats, I thought the food looked different.  It was lighter in color and the texture was a little different, but I assumed it had to be the same formula.  I fed the 3 oz cans for about a week and her symptoms just kept getting worse.  I have no idea if there was cross contamination with another protein source in the 3 oz cans or what the issue was.  But she definitely got worse on them.  We switched back to 5.5oz cans and once again she began improving.  After all this, I decided it was time to give raw a shot.  I've been mixing her canned and raw together for about a week, gradually increasing the amount of raw.  She seems to really like the raw.  However, I've noticed over the past couple days that she's been pulling at her fur more.  In general, she's just seemed more restless.  My question is, could this just be her detoxing from her old food?  Do you think she's developed a food allergy to rabbit since starting it in July?  Will her allergy symptoms get worse before they get better with a raw diet?  Sorry this has been so long and rambling, but I'm at a loss.  I just want her to be healthy and happy!  Thanks so much.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gosh, I'm not sure what's going on either. I looked up the ingredients to both to compare. They both have ingredients that are not desirable in cat food, but those ingredients together are 5% of the food, so they shouldn't matter too much.
 The only thing I can think of is that there's something in the Primal that may be an allergen for her. Maybe try going back to just the 5.5oz cans of Instinct to see if her symptoms go away again?
Nature's Variety Instinct Rabbit:

Rabbit, Pork Liver, Water, Ground Flaxseeds, Tricalcium Phosphate, Montmorillonite Clay, Peas, Carrots, Calcium Carbonate, Lecithin, Vitamins (Choline Chloride, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Biotin, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Dried Kelp, Salt, Potassium Chloride, Taurine, Minerals (Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Sodium Selenite, Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide), Artichokes, Cranberries, Pumpkin, Tomato, Blueberries, Broccoli, Cabbage, Kale, Parsley.
Primal Feline Rabbit Ingredients: Rabbit (with ground bone), Rabbit Livers, Rabbit Hearts, Organic Collard Greens, Organic Squash, Organic Celery, Cranberries, Blueberries, Organic Pumpkin Seeds, Organic Sunflower Seeds, Minerals (Zinc Sulfate, Copper Carbonate, Sodium Selenite), Almonds, Organic Apple Cider Vinegar, Sardine Oil, Taurine, Organic Quinoa Sprout Powder, Dried Organic Kelp, Organic Cilantro, Organic Coconut Oil, Cod Liver Oil, Organic Ginger, Natural Vitamin E.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, I'm not sure either.
Of the two, I would think NV would be more problematic because it contains pork.
Cross contaimination is a possibility; could you call the company and ask them if the 3 oz cans are made in the same line as the 5.5 oz cans?
I would also compare the labels of both the 3 oz and the 5.5 oz cans--one never knows.
And, as you've probably realized, a cat can develop an allergy to a food / additive over time.
Have you considered feeding whole prey role, i.e., frankenprey. You'd have 100% control over what proteins/additives you feed Kitty (name?)