transitioning to home cooked & probiotic question

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
jake is still going back and forth on the raw food.  some times he'll eat it alone, some times he won't eat anything that has touched the raw.  jake acts funny with the raw - he like sneaks up to it and sniffs at it.  sometimes, he gives it a lick after sniffing, sometimes he jumps back like it's going to bite him.  

hubby is frustrated with the 'not being able to leave food on the floor for hours on end' aspect of raw, and i'm becoming more and more uncomfortable with the smell.  i have a compromised immune system as well, so even with all my safety practices, i'm a bit nervous.  so i'll be whipping up a batch of home cooked chicken based on @mschauer's recipe on the home cooked thread.  again, i'm planning on mixing in a bit of pumpkin because i have it and i hate wasting food.  plus it can't really hurt them; they've been eating some fruit/veg in their foods for some time.  i'll be picking up jarrow b-right vitamin b complex capsules today because they're low odor, and i still think that smell might be putting jake off his raw.

i plan on cooking the chicken thighs with half the skin removed in a pyrex in the oven, tightly covered with foil.  i'll pop in my meat thermometer and i plan on taking them out when they reach 150F; they should reach about 160F with carryover heat if i remember correctly.  i'm considering cooking the liver and hearts stove top in a small sauce pan of water with the lid on until... well, until they're done.  which i don't know how to tell if they're done.  but i guess until they 'look' done.  unless anyone has any tips on that ;) 

now, what's with probiotics?  i know one of the supposed big benefits of feeding raw is the digestive enzymes.  and i see a lot of people add probiotics to their cat's foods.  should i add probiotics now that i'll be cooking? i know cooked foods are more digestible, so i don't know how important they really are.  thoughts?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
additional question: on other boards, people talk about organs not accounting for more than 5-10% of the total weight of the meat (of course, everyone has a different idea!).  the recipe @mschauer  posted here: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/263751/cooked-recipes-thread  for cooked chicken lists abut 9oz of organs to 5lbs of meat, which is a bit over 10%.  is there a 'rule of thumb' for this?  because the nutrition analysis that @mschauer  posted with the recipe looks spot on with those measurements.  i'll be heading out soon to pick up all the meats for my first batch of cooked food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stephanie42

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
already have the chicken thighs in the over; inadvertently picked up bone-in thighs so i'll be doing a bit of chicken-pickin' when it's cooled.  could not find hearts this week, so i'll be adjusting the recipe a bit and adding a bit more taurine.  

i also picked up the jarrow b-right b complex and it is very low odor.  thankfully.  and i think it was comparably priced.  i also found jarrow 'pet dophilus' which has 5 probiotic strains for pets.  it's just powder and the bottle was $21 for 70 servings.  it has l. casei, e. faecium, p. acidilactici, l. acidophilus, and b. animalis subsp lactis.  it also lists inulin (i'm guessing as a prebiotic?) and metabolin (bacterial metabolites).  it seems to have pretty good reviews everywhere i've researched and it's comparably priced to what i spend on my probiotics.  i decided to buy this because it has the b. animalis - my probiotics don't have that included and the websites i looked at did recommend it.  i also see it's priced even lower at vitacost, reminding me i should plan ahead and leave time for shipping 

i also added a bit of bacon fat to the raw food for jake - he took a few sniffs, circled the bowl a couple of times, and dug right in.  i caved and cooked bacon for my hubby yesterday, then thought to save the fat (it was nitrate/nitrite free bacon).  i remember when i was younger, my mom always saved bacon fat and would give a bit here and there to the dog and cat.  i'm considering using it as a topper when someone doesn't feel like eating; they all seem to really like it.