Transitioning kittens from free feeding

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am currently fostering 2 kittens. They are 23 weeks old.  They are the oldest I've fostered in quite some time.  I've had them for a few months now. 

Are they too young for me to transition them from free feeding and start giving them set amounts of food? Currently they pretty much always have some food in their bowl and how much they eat varies wildly from day to day.  

I'd like to start feeding them 3 times a day, about 2/3 of a cup of kitten food each time (between the two of them) so they'd each be getting about a cup total per day, plus splitting a can of wet at night.  (I know more wet would be better, but they are fosters and the reality is I can't break the bank for them).

Should that be enough food for them? I don't want to hamper their growth and it's been a long time since I thought of not free feeding fosters (usually they are out of my care by 14 weeks the latest). Obviously I will adjust the amounts if needed, but am I in the right ballpark to start?

darcya

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello there!

I'm kind of in the same boat. I want to get my kitten on a schedule, but she is only 15 weeks old right now.

I think you 3 meals wouldn't be enough, I'd do at least 4 maybe five and just make each meals smaller.

They will learn if they don't eat at feeding time, they will go hungry!

As for the 1 cup thing, that seems like a lot of food, but wait until someone with more experience comes around, because i'm just not sure.

I'm interested to see what other people have to say!

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am currently fostering 2 kittens. They are 23 weeks old.  They are the oldest I've fostered in quite some time.  I've had them for a few months now. 

Are they too young for me to transition them from free feeding and start giving them set amounts of food? Currently they pretty much always have some food in their bowl and how much they eat varies wildly from day to day.  

I'd like to start feeding them 3 times a day, about 2/3 of a cup of kitten food each time (between the two of them) so they'd each be getting about a cup total per day, plus splitting a can of wet at night.  (I know more wet would be better, but they are fosters and the reality is I can't break the bank for them).

Should that be enough food for them? I don't want to hamper their growth and it's been a long time since I thought of not free feeding fosters (usually they are out of my care by 14 weeks the latest). Obviously I will adjust the amounts if needed, but am I in the right ballpark to start?
I'd say at nearly 6 months of age, yes you'd be ok to start with that. They are still growing at this point, but not at the rampant pace of younger kittens. By 6 months their growth slows some and this can be where weight starts to go on. You can judge from there if they need more or less at each feeding. Is the nightly can a 5.5oz?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd say at nearly 6 months of age, yes you'd be ok to start with that. They are still growing at this point, but not at the rampant pace of younger kittens. By 6 months their growth slows some and this can be where weight starts to go on. You can judge from there if they need more or less at each feeding. Is the nightly can a 5.5oz?
Yes, the nightly can is 5.5 oz :) I think I will start there and monitor it.  I know 1 cup each is way too much for adult cats but the bag actually recommends more than that at their age (though I also know the bags deliberately overestimate) so I think I will feel best about starting around there and reducing (or adding) if it seems there is a problem one way or another. Thanks!

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ballpark,when-you-free-fed-them,how-much-do-you-think-they-were-eating-in-one-day?

I-sched-feed-my-8-week-old-kittens-from-the-start,I-started-with-4-meals-a-day,so-no,its-not-too-early-to-start.

What-your-describing,is-way-too-much-food-you-need-to-feed.They-only-need-1/2-a-3.0-can-a-day.

When-you-sched-feed,you-teach-them-to-eat,what-is-placed-in-front-of-them,and-no-more-until-the-next-feeding,so-you-need-to-feed-small-meals-at-one-time.The-dry-food-you-feed-in-the-morning-should-only-be-1/8-of-a-cup.I-mix-mine-with-1-teaspoon-Gerber-baby-food,chicken-or-turkey,and-mix-with-water,so-its-like-a-broth.It-keeps-them-hydrated-and-flushed-out.

I-feed-a-good-quality-food,and-a-6-lb-bag,lasts-me-2-weeks,and-thats-with-4.

Its-less-expensive-to-feed-a-good-quality-food,than-it-is-food-you-would-buy-in-the-grocery-store,and-its-less-vet-bills.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ballpark,when-you-free-fed-them,how-much-do-you-think-they-were-eating-in-one-day?

I-sched-feed-my-8-week-old-kittens-from-the-start,I-started-with-4-meals-a-day,so-no,its-not-too-early-to-start.

What-your-describing,is-way-too-much-food-you-need-to-feed.They-only-need-1/2-a-3.0-can-a-day.

When-you-sched-feed,you-teach-them-to-eat,what-is-placed-in-front-of-them,and-no-more-until-the-next-feeding,so-you-need-to-feed-small-meals-at-one-time.The-dry-food-you-feed-in-the-morning-should-only-be-1/8-of-a-cup.I-mix-mine-with-1-teaspoon-Gerber-baby-food,chicken-or-turkey,and-mix-with-water,so-its-like-a-broth.It-keeps-them-hydrated-and-flushed-out.

I-feed-a-good-quality-food,and-a-6-lb-bag,lasts-me-2-weeks,and-thats-with-4.

Its-less-expensive-to-feed-a-good-quality-food,than-it-is-food-you-would-buy-in-the-grocery-store,and-its-less-vet-bills.
First, in terms of the quality of food, they are fosters.  I do care about their health, but my goal is to get them to their forever homes as soon as possible. I don't think that is an excuse to feed them whatever, but I am not financially able to feed them all or even mostly wet or the highest quality dry.  I have 2 resident cats who get all wet and some raw, but I can't afford to feed my fosters like that.  Usually, I foster around 30-40 cats and kittens PER YEAR.  There is no way I can afford to feed them an all wet diet or super expensive dry diet and I do not feel guilty about it since it literally is me or euthanization for a lot of them. 

I also am not sure what you mean that they only need 1/2 of a 3 oz can a day.  Do you mean total, each? That is definitely not true, even for elderly cats.  They would starve on only 1.5 oz of wet food a day- that is just 1/2 of a small can. I am sure that cannot be what you meant? Did you mean in addition to the dry?  I am not really sure how much dry cats need at this age (or when older) as I usually free feed like I said, and my cats get wet, but I'm pretty sure 1/8 cup 4 times a day (or 1/2 cup total each) would not be enough at 6 months either.

I am not trying to be argumentative since you are obviously an experienced poster, and the reason I am posting is I am not sure how much dry to feed the kittens having never really tried to measure it with my fosters, but I really don't think the amounts you are stating are enough. I do not want them to get fat which is part of why I want to go to a schedule and set amounts, but I'd definitely rather feed a bit too much than end up starving them.

Last edited:

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
More then likely you will be reducing that amt as it is a bit much especially if they share a 5.5oz can at night. My 3 adults used to eat 5.5oz each a day divided into 3 meals. But you'll be able to see pretty quickly at the start of scheduled feedings just how much at one time they can actually eat and adjust accordingly I'm sure.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
More then likely you will be reducing that amt as it is a bit much especially if they share a 5.5oz can at night. My 3 adults used to eat 5.5oz each a day divided into 3 meals. But you'll be able to see pretty quickly at the start of scheduled feedings just how much at one time they can actually eat and adjust accordingly I'm sure.
yeah, my adult cats eat two 3 oz cans each per day and they are doing fine :)  I definitely won't hesitate to reduce the amounts down.

Thank you for your input everyone :)

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for clarifying! Your cats are lovely :)

Since they are still growing, and they are definitely not overweight at this point (though not underweight either) I am still gonna start them with a larger amount than you recommend, but I will be tapering it down a bit from what my original plan was.  Thanks again all :)