Transitioning help

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all!
So I'm attempting to transition my girls to raw. I know it's early but I want to make sure I'm doing it right. (I am mildly a hypochondriac when it comes to my furballs)
I'm trying with Darwin's chicken and later turkey. Both meats my girls love. The first night I plopped some of it down and they were like "What's this, Mama?" And wouldn't eat it. So I mixed in some of their regular wet food and still, no touchy.

Thought, okay, they need to eat and I need to not have a paw to the face every hour between now and their morning automatic feeder. So I tossed the raw mix and in fresh bowls gave them just their wet food. They ate some, but not all.

Today, their afternoon meal I put about a teaspoon of raw beside their canned wet in their bowls (freshly washed of course). Then, following the suggestion on felinenutrition.org, I put two portions of raw in another bowl beside their regular wet. While they ate some of their wet, they aren't enthusiastic about it. And they're acting like they are legitimately hungry, not the "kitty dance of hunger despite just having eaten".

So, am I doing this right? I got the deal for 10 lbs of raw for $15 from Dewey so I have quite a bit for now. But, how long do I keep trying before I try a new food? I know they love the Instinct raw toppers so I might try their freeze dried food next, but I don't want to give up on a food before I should.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
Be patient and take it slow.

I started with mixing just a small amount with the wet that they liked. Then, very slowly, every three days or so, I’d increase the amount of raw, and decrease the wet proportionately.
Occasionally, they would protest by skipping a meal or two, rarely any more than that. If they skipped for three meals, I’d change up to a different flavor or slide back a little on the mixture amounts. Overall, it took several weeks to transition.

Some cats will transition faster, but some won’t. You just have to get a feel for your own cats pace.