Transitioning From Wet To Dry: How Long?

mrsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Howdy! We've been having an anal leakage issue at our house. Poopy spots on the couch, on the floor, sometimes scooting on the end tables. One cat had full anal glands for the first time in 13 years recently, the problem cleared up, and now it's back but I think it's not him this time. The other cat has IBS with occasional loose stools plus interstitial cystitis. He acted a fool when the vet got near his butt, so his rectal exam will be done under sedation on another date. In the meantime, the vet prescribed a hydrolyzed protein kibble from Royal Canin instead of what both dudes eat now (Pro Plan Urinary Health canned food). What's the best method and over how many days should I make this transition? Thanks!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OMG, WHY would your Vet prescribe a kibble for a cat with interstitial cystitis? Wet food is the best thing possible for that :sigh:. Is it possible to feed them two different things, since (as I think I understand which cat is which) the cat who needs the hydrolyzed protein is NOT the cat with the urinary issues. OR, if that's not possible, doesn't the hydrolyzed protein diet also come in canned food? (hmmm, maybe not...a quick google search doesn't locate any :headscratch: )

Gosh, to answer your question, I honestly don't know. I don't recall anyone ever asking that one. Usually it's the other way around. I guess if I were you I'd mix the two and just slowly increase the amount of kibble probably over a period of a week and see how he does. If he tolerates it well, then you're good to go.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mrsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
MrsGreenJeans,
I tried Googling how to transition to dry and couldn't find anything. It does seem odd, doesn't it?
The cat with interstitial cystitis is the same cat who requires the hydrolyzed protein. When the vet told me what food she was prescribing I was also alarmed because a previous vet (or someone on this forum? I can't recall LOL) told me, "your cat can never eat dry food again." But she said this was formulated with a "urinary component" that prevents the development of urinary crystals (also a problem for this guy) and it should be fine. Unfortunately it doesn't come in a wet formula! I'll try it and see how it goes.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree this is strange. My cat had crystals in his urine and the vet told me putting him on all wet diet would be the best thing. I wonder if you can get a second opinion from a vet with more nutritional expertise? Sometimes integrative or holistic vets have more nutrition knowledge.

thehistorian

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would not go with the dry food. At all. I hate to go against a vet's rec, but I would not do it. In fact, I think the best thing here is to get a second opinion from another vet.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm probably one of dry food's biggest supporters (I think that it has a lot of advantages for cats as well as owners, such as being able to be fed in puzzle toys for enrichment) on this forum, but it has to be the right dry food for the right cat (which means a quality grain free food given to most healthy cats.) Cats with urinary and kidney issues are a group of cats that I generally don't think should be given dry food (if possible), since the added moisture in wet food really is important in thosoe instances.

With that said, you can try adding a flavor enhancer to the dry and transitioning slowly, or mixing a bit of kibble into the wet, slowly making it less wet, more kibble, etc. My other suggestion is that you get a cat fountain if you don't already have one, since your cats clearly need high hydration and swithcing from wet to dry will reduce it somewhat.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep in mind though that even with a fountain cats won’t get enough hydration with only dry food. Cats needs at least 150ml of water a day. That’s more than half a cup. This is so important especially if your cat has crystals.

In my opinion dry food is mainly convenient for owners and has no real benefit for cats over wet food.

mrsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

I have been adding water to their food for the past two years, roughly 60mL of water per meal (120 mL a day). They're used to it. I'm planning to do a 5 day transition while continuing to add water. So far both of them really enjoy the rx kibble added to the cans, and they're still drinking all the added fluid. Is it really such a disadvantage if they end up eating kibble with water added to it?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’ve never tried kibble with water and I’m not really sure. I don’t think they would get as much water as with wet food because wet food is itself at least 70% water. But maybe it would be enough anyway? You could always measure the amount you’re adding and make sure it’s enough for the day. But I feel like to actually get enough water the dry food would turn to mush.

For my kitten who has had crystals in the past my vet told me to feed all wet and add extra water to it too.

mrsh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First off, thank you everyone for your help. I have good news and bad news.

The good news: I can keep everyone on (some of) the wet food they're on now. They don't need the hydrolyzed protein diet after all.
The bad news: I already bought the bag of hydrolyzed protein kibble for $50 and now I have no use for it. Today's vet visit revealed that one cat had an impacted anal gland which was successfully cleared, and the other cat couldn't be expressed because the glands are rock hard and quite painful. He got an antibiotic and I have to apply a warm compress to his anus for 5 minutes twice a day for two weeks, when he will be rechecked during his annual dental (anesthesia for the win!). Both cats are to be started on RC Gastrointestinal Fiber Response, which used to be available in wet but I can only locate dry. More good news: I can easily mix the kibble in with a little pro plan, add water, and get these dudes the fiber and fluid they need. They're not grazers so they wolf it all down before it turns to mush.

My goodness. How did my life become so glamorous??