Transitioning From Outdoors...to Indoors...and Moving...

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

The sweet kitty in the picture is our darling for the last 8 years. Fed, taken care off, shelters checked twice/day. As I previously wrote, she is almost domesticated, my husband and I can hug, kiss her, pet her, she loves many people and even comes on their laps.
Last year a wonderful couple offered to take Baby in...they have 2 boys. Since Novembe we've been trying to catch her...but she struggled so much (and we had little experience in catching kitties)...we failed twice.
Having terrible obstacles out there: an insane woman trying to stop the adoption only because she likes the girl...and has a perverse satisfaction hurting us and her...comes every morning in the dark, 5:00am, to make sure she feeds her garbage, but even the garbage makes the kitty less willing to eat. She still comes close to us...to see us, but somehow fearful, keeps the distance.
Today she was as sweet as always, but i was alone with her...no carrier, no trap...
As soon as she see the trap or carrier she runs away.
We got plenty of advices how to scruff her...we bought a trap, but the weather was horrible, storms, fallen trees not far from her shelter.
The couple is moving to another state mid April...
They still want Baby to come with them....we never met such wonderful people, who really wanted to help our kitty and offer her a home...despite all obstacles... and despite she's no longer a kitten. But she is healthy, energetic, beautiful and intelligent.
Please give me your thoughts, anyone went through this?
I read the posting about Norachan who wanted to take her colony with her...
Here is a different story: our girl lived in a park since we found her, as a kitten. She had a companion who passed away last year...tragedy for all of us...
She is very lonely since then, of course she has us...but still most of the day...and night she is alone, missing her friend...looking for him, playing in her own way and napping with us in the evening, under the bench...
Enduring the bitter cold, the unleashed dogs, the mean humans, the park people cutting the trees, etc...all the time something.
Will she be able to adjust to a home...and only after 3 weeks....to go through moving...seeing all those people, noises, the trip, etc?
We don't want her to suffer, to be traumatized...
But, realistically, she cannot stay in the park any longer...too cold, too cruel and difficult.
Should you have any advice on how to make it easier for our girl to adjust...will be greatly appreciated.
We had lots of stress this year...and our biggest wish now is her to be healthy and safe with this wonderful people who love her.
She's been exposed in the park to lots of noise, commotion, weird people at night and even day, buses stopping in the front, trucks, park works, etc. No real rest...
So maybe she will adjust faster, no matter the stress of moving to a different state?!

For me and my husband is heartbreaking, it's always been, because we are unable to take her home...we have a beautiful parrot....and out girl is a big hunter...
Cats and birds together, out of question!
Thank you for giving me your thoughts...

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for caring! That really is a beautiful kitty. Transitioning an outdoor-only cat to indoors can be done, but does require some patience. Maybe you could refer her new parents to these helpful articles:

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

Beating Boredom - What Indoor Cat Owners Need To Know

If she ends up missing the outdoors, building a catio (outdoor cat enclosure) or leash training are also options. I’ll attach some more articles below.

Cat Enclosures

Harness And Leash Training For Cats

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just recently brought 3 feral cats into my home. The oldest being 8. He has never lived in a home and has spent his years living on my deck with food and shelter. The other two are 4 and 5 years old. I brought them inside as I was moving and could never think of leaving them behind.

Going from living outside to inside can be done, but it is a process. The first thing to know is that she must be in indoor only kitty for at least 4 weeks. When I cat is moved from it's surroundings and then allowed outside, it will do everything in its power to return to it's former territory. The indoor acclimation period is extremely necessary.

She first off should be vet checked to be sure she has vaccines and checked for FIV and FELV. She then will need a room of her own. If this is a bedroom she should not be allowed to get under the bed. The bed needs to be up against a wall or laid flat on the floor. When trying to socialize her and allow her to get to know the new family she needs to be out in the open as much as possible.

I am sure the home for her will be just lovely. Yet you want to be sure that they don't plan to allow her to get outside. She also will need lots of time and patience to adjust to indoor living. I have had my 3 inside for about 10 weeks. I moved 2 weeks ago and the process still continues. The boys are in a sunroom that has doors to keep my other animals out. They have lots of comforts as well as litter boxes, food and water. I am now opening the doors (with a gate as a barrier) during the days so they can get used to the sounds and sights of the house as well as get peaks at my other cats and my dog.

It is very easy to get frustrated with a kitty that has never lived in a home before. Making sure they understand this is of utmost importance. She may never be a lap kitty and she may hide when she hears loud noises or unfamiliar noises.

Has she ever met the people who are going to adopt her?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for caring! That really is a beautiful kitty. Transitioning an outdoor-only cat to indoors can be done, but does require some patience. Maybe you could refer her new parents to these helpful articles:

The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside

Beating Boredom - What Indoor Cat Owners Need To Know

If she ends up missing the outdoors, building a catio (outdoor cat enclosure) or leash training are also options. I’ll attach some more articles below.

Cat Enclosures

Harness And Leash Training For Cats
Thank you for your reply! I did refer the new parents to this blog...they liked it and found it very useful. They are very patient and simply wonderful!
We all expect to have some problems, but hopefully not too many, as the girl is semi-domesticated, as much as an outside kitty could be.

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just recently brought 3 feral cats into my home. The oldest being 8. He has never lived in a home and has spent his years living on my deck with food and shelter. The other two are 4 and 5 years old. I brought them inside as I was moving and could never think of leaving them behind.

Going from living outside to inside can be done, but it is a process. The first thing to know is that she must be in indoor only kitty for at least 4 weeks. When I cat is moved from it's surroundings and then allowed outside, it will do everything in its power to return to it's former territory. The indoor acclimation period is extremely necessary.

She first off should be vet checked to be sure she has vaccines and checked for FIV and FELV. She then will need a room of her own. If this is a bedroom she should not be allowed to get under the bed. The bed needs to be up against a wall or laid flat on the floor. When trying to socialize her and allow her to get to know the new family she needs to be out in the open as much as possible.

I am sure the home for her will be just lovely. Yet you want to be sure that they don't plan to allow her to get outside. She also will need lots of time and patience to adjust to indoor living. I have had my 3 inside for about 10 weeks. I moved 2 weeks ago and the process still continues. The boys are in a sunroom that has doors to keep my other animals out. They have lots of comforts as well as litter boxes, food and water. I am now opening the doors (with a gate as a barrier) during the days so they can get used to the sounds and sights of the house as well as get peaks at my other cats and my dog.

It is very easy to get frustrated with a kitty that has never lived in a home before. Making sure they understand this is of utmost importance. She may never be a lap kitty and she may hide when she hears loud noises or unfamiliar noises.

Has she ever met the people who are going to adopt her?
Shadowsrescue, you are such an amazing mom!!! I assume you got them used to come inside your house...and then made them stay.
Our situation is complicated, since the girl lives in a public park...unfortunately.
We are surrounded by apartment buildings, therefore our solutions are either the trap (that I have and will be trying next week), or someone to scruff her...The last option is scary for me, I don't want her injured...
Yes, she met the future parents several times, they've been unbelievably patient and kind, waiting to take her in since last summer...They so much want to help her! She deserves a home, so lonely after she lost her companion, last year...
Baby & Billy Jan. 2013.JPG

They even managed to pet her and give her treats.
Unfortunately, after our failed attempts to catch her (me and my husband try with a towel), she became very suspicious and runs as soon as she sees the carrier, a big box...
Will see how she does when she sees the trap.
Thank you very much for your advices!
Indeed, being an outside kitty, she will miss the space she had here...but not the rest (a few nights ago, during the big storm we had here, a few trees fell and a huge branch very close to her shelter)...Terrible to have to live outside...
As you said, she will need to adjust to being an indoor kitty...
They will live probably in an apartment building at the beginning, so no chance to go outside...but there is always good to take precautions (watch the entrance door, put a screen, screens on the windows, etc.) She will be in a separate room for a while.
Highly appreciate your advices and experience!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could start by placing the trap unset and feeding her in it. That usually gets the cat used to the trap. Then on the day you do want to capture her, just feed as normal, but set the trap.

I am glad the new owners have met and pet her! I hope they are prepared that she may yowl and howl and throw herself against windows trying to escape. I have brought 5 ferals inside and 3 of them have thrown themselves against the window and yowled and howled at night. After a few days it all calms down.

To get my 3 inside my home, all had been TNR'd before so trapping was really not an option. I had allowed them time in my home (with my other animals put away and the sliding door kept open). I had 3 large carriers that are used for medium sized dogs that I used. The carriers were large enough for the cat to feel comfortable. I would offer them some yummy food in the carriers that were lined with soft fleece and sprinkled with catnip. I did this a few times each week for about 6 weeks. I was able to get all 3 into separate carriers and take them up to a cat proofed room I had waiting. The carriers are bulky, but it was so much easier than even attempting to stuff them into a small cat carrier. This might be an option for you too if the trap does not work.

ParkBaby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, this is a great suggestion!
I will try again introducing her to the carrier and the trap...
But I think she remembers the trap...though she was just a 7 months kitten when we TNR-ed her.
At that time we didn't have anyone to take her in...
All is so complicated because the area is open...visible.
So we have to try at night, I guess.
Thank you again!