Transitioning from kitten to adult portions

zobothehobo

Non-binary mom of 3 (they/them)
Young Cat
Purraise
This may be very dumb, but this is the first time I've had a cat become an adult where I wasn't free-feeding so I'm not sure how to handle this transition.

So my little one, Binx, is 19 mos now. She's stopped growing, though she's still quite small (about 7 lbs). When we found her as a stray at 8-10 weeks she was severely malnourished and had one of the worst ringworm cases my vet has seen, so I'm not surprised she's small. I have kept her on kitten portions to see if she'll keep growing, she had started to get a little round so I decreased. I am now feeding her halfway between what our food's feeding guidelines suggests would be a weight appropriate kitten vs cat portion. She seems to be doing fine on that portion, and I'm not sure how and when I should continue transitioning her down to adult portions.

For reference: We're feeding Small Batch raw and their recommendations are kitten portions are double adult portions for a given weight. Like I said, I've currently got her on 1.5 adult portions because 2 was too much for her at this stage.

Any feedback, clarity, personal stories on your transitions from kitten to adult portions would be helpful since all I can find online is transitioning from food formulated for kittens to food formulated for adult cats, which isn't what I'm asking. I'm almost starting to think I'm the first one whose felt lost in this transition! I have been told I have a tendency to overthink things especially about my cats' weight and food consumption (another cat's passing gave me a *bit* of a complex) so it wouldn't surprise me if I was the only one to feel this lost lol! But I would still love some direction.

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may be very dumb, but this is the first time I've had a cat become an adult where I wasn't free-feeding so I'm not sure how to handle this transition.

So my little one, Binx, is 19 mos now. She's stopped growing, though she's still quite small (about 7 lbs). When we found her as a stray at 8-10 weeks she was severely malnourished and had one of the worst ringworm cases my vet has seen, so I'm not surprised she's small. I have kept her on kitten portions to see if she'll keep growing, she had started to get a little round so I decreased. I am now feeding her halfway between what our food's feeding guidelines suggests would be a weight appropriate kitten vs cat portion. She seems to be doing fine on that portion, and I'm not sure how and when I should continue transitioning her down to adult portions.

For reference: We're feeding Small Batch raw and their recommendations are kitten portions are double adult portions for a given weight. Like I said, I've currently got her on 1.5 adult portions because 2 was too much for her at this stage.

Any feedback, clarity, personal stories on your transitions from kitten to adult portions would be helpful since all I can find online is transitioning from food formulated for kittens to food formulated for adult cats, which isn't what I'm asking. I'm almost starting to think I'm the first one whose felt lost in this transition! I have been told I have a tendency to overthink things especially about my cats' weight and food consumption (another cat's passing gave me a *bit* of a complex) so it wouldn't surprise me if I was the only one to feel this lost lol! But I would still love some direction.
I started feeding Adult portions a 1 yr. or so. My older boy is 13 mo. Older than the other boy. I started with a 5 oz. Can putting down half the can. I supplement that with Dry Blue Buffalo Wildness Chicken Hairball Control. My two are strictly indoor Cats . This Feeding approach has worked Pretty well.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just adjust portion sizes according to the appetite. I'd ignore the feeding amounts on the package. They're often overstated. I don't think I did any sort of transition with my cats when they reached a year old. One started eating less raw food so I just fed him less.

Lazy Orange House Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Montgomery is transitioning to "normal" adult portions. For the past nearly five years, he's been fed six times a day, to 150% of his daily nutritional requirements. As he has now hit a healthy normal weight, we're beginning to reduce the amount of food, but not the number of meals. A little less at each meal and he isn't noticing at all. He's nearly eight pounds and that's where he should be.