Transitioning an outdoor cat to an indoor cat

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 am is probably a misc. boredom thing. Going outside used so much energy that is now available and can lead to such things. When outside, they tend not to nap if there are dogs barking and such, and accordingly are much more likely to sleep through the night when they come in.

After Rocky died and I decided to convert Clyde, we immediately got a kitten. I told my wife she would "be his outside". And they *are* friends and do *play* -- but she is unfortunately not his outside. He still misses it almost a year later, and in fact snuck out last night like a ninja and isn't back yet. I'm wise to his ninja ways re: the front door, but he has recently discovered that if he bolts throught the door to the garage, I might have left the actual garage door open. So I must adapt again, and our battle of wits continues. I would check that the chimney is closed, but I don't want to give him any ideas.

P.S. The get a catio people mean well, but we basically have one, and while he enjoys it a lot, it curbs his desire and Houdini antics not at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alicefive

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another update:
Last night he didn’t cry at all. As of today we have been in the new place one week. My arm is about to drop off from throwing catnip mice over and over for him to chase. I feel guilty because he loved going outdoors so much. But I always worried he would get hurt/killed and that would be the last time I ever saw him. I had to take my older cat in for her shots and I mentioned the whole indoor/outdoor thing to my Vet. He said the same thing about moving and just keeping him in. It seems to have worked!
Many thanks to everyone who commented!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's wonderful that he's adjusting so well to your new place, and being inside only. Outdoors can be fun and adventurous for cats, but also dangerous. He'll be so much safer inside, and you won't have to worry that one day you'd let him out and he would never come home.

Above you mentioned your older cat. So you have 2 cats? Do they get along?