Transitioning 5 mo old kitten off digestive food

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am adopting a 5 mo old male kitten who has been eating Hills i/d and this wet food. His foster believes he is ready to transition to a regular food. What would be the best options to try first? He will mainly get canned food but I will have to supplement with some dry food on the days I work across town. She says he had some diarrhea and gas problems but stools have been pretty good recently.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What was behind this kitten's issue that led to the digestive care food, and why does the foster think he is ready to transition to 'regular' food? Do they not think that this food is what is keeping his stools relatively normal?

I guess to start off with, keeping him on the same food while he adapts to his new home would be my first suggestion. Even though he is pretty young, it still might take some time for him to get used to his new forever home. You really don't want to confuse the situation by changing his home and his food at the same time.

If after the both of you have had time to adjust to each other, and you become familiar with his eating and bathroom habits, you can look into foods that are similar in content, maybe looking at other digestive care foods - perhaps ones that are specifically for kittens, rather than adult cats. Ideally, kittens really should be eating kitten food for most of their first year. And I am sure you know to do a slow transition to help try to avoid digestive issues, particularly in a kitten/cat that has already been identified with them.

Get whatever records from the foster for his previous care, and if they don't have them, get them from whatever rescue/shelter she was fostering for. You will need them to share with your vet, and this is especially true if the digestive issues don't completely subside and/or become a problem.

Best of luck to you and your new kitty!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

waddle

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Foster thinks it was due to poor nutrition from mom when they were nursing. His litter mates had more trouble than he did, and since they all shared food she has kept him on this one.

i will be getting both the wet and the kibble Rx food he has been eating to start out with, but I am hoping he will be able to switch to regular food. i will transition only the wet first and won’t try a new kibble until I know he is doing ok with the change in the wet.