training to use a toilet - problems

diamondesneko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HELP! I recently started toilet training my cat Foxy using a product called Citi Kitty basically the training kit comes with a plastic mold that fits on the toilet bowl after the first week, you cut a small hole in the middle (according to the lines on the mold) and then make the hole bigger every week.This has been week 3 and she started strongly refusing to go on the toilet bowl to poop she is okay with peeing there.She poops everywhere in the toilet.On the rug, the corner of the shower, beside the toilet bowl, the sink and even under the sink cupboard which is really difficult to clean out.I know I should probably switch back to the litter box but don't want to give up just yet.I am at my wits end I love my cat but my parents are already considering to make me re home her.I will never ever give her away just because she cant be toilet trained.I give her treats every time she uses the toilet too.I had to stay up until 3 am last night in the toilet just to wait for her to poop I will wait for her to start digging at someplace she shouldn't be pooping at and carry her onto the toilet bowl.Then this will happen repeatedly for around 30 minutes to 1 hour until she finally cannot hold it in anymore and poops on the toilet bowl.Otherwise, when my parents are at work and I am at school she will poop everywhere. More information about my cat, she is almost 3 months old, extremely playful and active, eats wet food from the brand fussie cat and has an occasional diarhorreal. I am taking her for a check up soon and her shots too.I am planning to spay her when she is 6 months old but I really can't afford to find a cat behaviourist.

chromium blues

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Using a toilet is very unnatural for a cat and the best thing to do is give her the litter box back. Even if you manage to teach her to use the toilet, think about when she gets older and may no-longer be able to jump that high, or balance properly. For her sanity and yours, bring back the box.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
You honestly don't need a cat behaviourist.  You just need to let her use a litter box.  As Chromium Blues says, it's really unnatural for cats to use human toilets.. a bit like expecting us to go in a litter box.
  Poor little thing is only 12 weeks old and really needs to do what is natural.

Here's a good article on how to manage litter boxes - I find many cats won't wee where they poo, so two is a good idea. 

Please do consider giving up on the toilet idea.. You obviously really love your new kitten, and I'm sure she'll love you all the more for giving her what she needs.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abandon this practice immediately. I agree with the previous posters that it is a frivolous endeavor. Cats that grow accustomed to this are very rare. Cats are "programmed" to bury their waste. It's in their DNA, passed down from their wild ancestors.

She's just a baby, too. I'm surprised she's able to hold it as long as she has.

Please, switch back to the litter box. Your kitten will love you for it,

coko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have attempted this before. I didn't use a kit, though, and I was working with an adult cat. I was slowly raising the box until it was toilet height (an inch or two every few days) and then moved the litter box on top of the toilet. I placed a bowl of litter inside the toilet and slowly removed the litter. When the litter was almost gone, I started adding water. Finally, I removed the bowl. My issue came with her ability to balance on the toilet seat. I have full confidence that she could have done it. She refused to try. She left her back feet in the toilet EVERY TIME. So then I had to clean up her feet and the foot prints coming from the toilet. I gave up after a week of wet feet. She went back to using the litter box normally with no issue. One good thing did come of my experiment, though. She NEVER tried to drink water from the toilet again. :) 

coko

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, if she is having occasional diarrhea, you should consider switching her food. It may not agree with her. This could be why pooping is a bigger struggle for her.