Training my cat to have his claws trimmed

ireneh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! Any ideas on how I can start training my adopted cat in getting his claws trimmed?

We adopted him only a few months ago and he's a 4 year old that came from a hoarding situation so I'm pretty sure he's not used to having his claws trimmed regularly.

When we adopted him, the shelter did trim his claws but we haven't attempted to since coming home. He's still apprehensive about being petted -- only allowing me to pet him but not my bf.

Anyway, we noticed his claws are getting long and we're both worried about how to trim them without getting bit or scratched.

Any ideas? Thank you!

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You might not be able to make it a pleasurable or tolerated habit for you cat, especially since he is past his kitten age. But nothing's impossible! I'm hoping someone chimes in with some training tips on how to cut claws.

For now, I wouldn't try. He seems still apprehensive and scared. If the claws become too long, it might have to become a vet's or groomer's job (but that's added stress with travelling - but it's better than being clawed, in my opinion!)

For my cat, I adopted him also as a 2-3 year old (not sure of his exact age) and I usually go at his claws when he's sleeping. He'll usually start protesting after I clip the first claw so I try to do all of the claws in one paw, then let him have a break. And I'll try again later or another day. However, my cat is super mellow and the most he's ever done is meow pathetically. But one time, he DID hiss at me but that was because I was being greedy and tried to cut ALL this paws at once. Not a good idea! 

How is your cat's temperament? You might be able to clip his claws with the help of another person: they hold him while you clip. But, again, I would not try at this point until he's settled down a bit more and lets someone else pet him other than you. 

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The most important thing is to start with the safest and easiest claw clippers.  Personally I prefer the ones shaped like small blunt nosed scissors, best found in the bird department of Petco (I like the ones in their Bird Department better than those in their cat department.)

All you are taking off is the need sharp hook on the end.  If you are not comfortable with it at first, go cut a rose and practice cutting the sharp sips off the thorns on the stem.  Then you will get the idea.  It is always better to trim to little than too much.  For difficult cats, sometimes one claw a day is all you can manage at first.  Wait until one gets hooked in a towel on your lap,, then helpfully trim off the offending tip, freeing kitty.  Cats claws actually grow in a full circle disc, so if you think of cutting no shorter than what would make the claw shaped to half a disc, like half a full moon, you should be all right.  Yes, experienced groomers will cut them shorter, but there is no need for you to do that.  You also don't need heavier clippers like you do to trim a dog's nails, nor those that look like guillotines, as they can actually harm a cat.  You would have to squeeze really hard with these trimmers to cause serious damage, although you could draw blood if you cut too close.  Be sure to stay in the CLEAR area of the nail at all times when trimming.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What they said. Once he's settled down and comfortable, you have a chance; not before. If you try too soon you could disrupt the bonding process, and you definitely don't want to do that!

When you do start doing it, you must be very careful not to cut into the quick (the area at the top of the claw that's opaque). If you do get the quick, even once, your cat will forever associate claw trimming with pain and you'll never get him to agree to claw trimming, ever again.

Margret

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might not be able to make it a pleasurable or tolerated habit for you cat, especially since he is past his kitten age. But nothing's impossible! I'm hoping someone chimes in with some training tips on how to cut claws.

For now, I wouldn't try. He seems still apprehensive and scared. If the claws become too long, it might have to become a vet's or groomer's job (but that's added stress with travelling - but it's better than being clawed, in my opinion!)

For my cat, I adopted him also as a 2-3 year old (not sure of his exact age) and I usually go at his claws when he's sleeping. He'll usually start protesting after I clip the first claw so I try to do all of the claws in one paw, then let him have a break. And I'll try again later or another day. However, my cat is super mellow and the most he's ever done is meow pathetically. But one time, he DID hiss at me but that was because I was being greedy and tried to cut ALL this paws at once. Not a good idea! 

How is your cat's temperament? You might be able to clip his claws with the help of another person: they hold him while you clip. But, again, I would not try at this point until he's settled down a bit more and lets someone else pet him other than you. 
I also recommend trying to trim claws when a cat is calm or sleepy. And I agree with the other posters that you may only get one or a few claws done at first.

Sometimes if your cat won't allow any clipping at the start, lightly handle your cat's claws and paws while he is calm and sleepy, if possible. Do this often (if he'll let you!) He might get used to you handling his paws, learn to trust your touch, etc. It's a process.

Last edited: