Training cats?

ahhshley123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have 4 indoor cats thats are all 6 months old. They are really good during the day. The only problem is they are so bad at night! :( They aren't aloud to be in the living room because my brother doesn't like them in there(He keeps his xbox in there). I've told him time and time again that theres not much I can do to stop them because we don't have a door separating it from the kitchen. When they go into the living room they like to claw at the couch. I've tried putting tape down and that didn't work, I tried aluminum foil and my cats just pulled it off. Yesterday we put our christmas tree up and we didn't want the cats to knock it over at night. So, I had to put them in cages, which made me feel horrible. My cats cried all night, I wanted to let them out so bad.

Do you think if we let the cats in the living room with us they wouldn't be so bad in there at night? Don't cats naturally want to explore? I mean how am I going to stop them from going in the living room? What should I do? Please help! :/ 

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe your brother needs training to put his Xbox somewhere safe.  And maybe the living room door should be shut at night.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ahhshley123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
we don't have a door between our kitchen and living room.. Our house is really strange. Do you think they would act different if I let them in the living room? like during the day so that it wouldn't be so special at night?

Last edited:

kafeid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The best way to train a cat, imo, is to treat them the way their mother would. Startle them during the bad behavior, give them a verbal reprimand, remove them from the situation, then ignore them. Meanwhile, you have to reward them for doing the right behaviors and make sure they have positive alternatives to fulfill their needs.It can be a contentious topic among cat owners, but I swear by spray water bottles. If the water startles the cat, it can be highly effective. You may need to only spray a few times before the cat learns to stop the behavior for good, and as long as you don't over use it, it won't make them afraid of you. A loud clap or hiss can also work well. The point is, you want to startle them and get their attention, then follow it with a firm, "No!" Remove them from the situation, and ignore them for a while. With repetition and consistency, they'll get the message that the behavior is undesirable. Of course, all of this hinges on them having an alternative.I've found the best defense against unwanted scratching is to get them something they love to scratch more. Sisal material is great, and you want something that mimics their favorite scratching position. (Some cats like standing vertically, others like to scratch while horizontal.) Either way, it's got to be sturdy, because cats don't like scratching anything weak and tottering. At that age they're small, and most scratching posts will work for them. Rub the post in catnip to get them interested. Reward them with effusive praise and treats when they scratch it.You are never going to keep a cat from going somewhere without a physical barrier. That's a doomed project. Sadly, cats are just attracted to game consoles with their heat and vibration and the box-like perch they offer. You can train them to stay off it, but that may or may not work and it can take a while. Honestly, the sensible thing to do would be to follow OrientalSlave's advice and put the Xbox up for the night in a hutch or cabinet. If your brother doesn't like it, well, he needs to learn that living with others means having to compromise. I don't know what to say about the tree. I think they're stupid death traps. :(

ksyusha

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The best way to train a cat, imo, is to treat them the way their mother would. Startle them during the bad behavior, give them a verbal reprimand, remove them from the situation, then ignore them. Meanwhile, you have to reward them for doing the right behaviors and make sure they have positive alternatives to fulfill their needs. It can be a contentious topic among cat owners, but I swear by spray water bottles. If the water startles the cat, it can be highly effective. You may need to only spray a few times before the cat learns to stop the behavior for good, and as long as you don't over use it, it won't make them afraid of you. A loud clap or hiss can also work well. The point is, you want to startle them and get their attention, then follow it with a firm, "No!" Remove them from the situation, and ignore them for a while. With repetition and consistency, they'll get the message that the behavior is undesirable. Of course, all of this hinges on them having an alternative. I've found the best defense against unwanted scratching is to get them something they love to scratch more. Sisal material is great, and you want something that mimics their favorite scratching position. (Some cats like standing vertically, others like to scratch while horizontal.) Either way, it's got to be sturdy, because cats don't like scratching anything weak and tottering. At that age they're small, and most scratching posts will work for them. Rub the post in catnip to get them interested. Reward them with effusive praise and treats when they scratch it. You are never going to keep a cat from going somewhere without a physical barrier. That's a doomed project. Sadly, cats are just attracted to game consoles with their heat and vibration and the box-like perch they offer. You can train them to stay off it, but that may or may not work and it can take a while. Honestly, the sensible thing to do would be to follow OrientalSlave's advice and put the Xbox up for the night in a hutch or cabinet. If your brother doesn't like it, well, he needs to learn that living with others means having to compromise. I don't know what to say about the tree. I think they're stupid death traps. :(
This sounds very methodical. I like it. Where did you learn that the cat's mother trains them in that way? I know about the clapping - I use one time when my kitten meows a lot non-stop, but then I feel bad and pick her up and love her, haha. She is a bit of a spoiled princess. I like the idea of ignoring right after the clapping and firm NO. I will definitely try this.

kafeid

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This sounds very methodical. I like it. Where did you learn that the cat's mother trains them in that way? I know about the clapping - I use one time when my kitten meows a lot non-stop, but then I feel bad and pick her up and love her, haha. She is a bit of a spoiled princess. I like the idea of ignoring right after the clapping and firm NO. I will definitely try this.
It's mentioned in many books about feline behavior, and, having watched quite a few queens rear litters, I can vouch for it. :) Mama cuffs kitten on the head, or hisses, sometimes gives a little meow or growl, and walks away, usually when kitten plays too roughly or breaks a household rule. You can't discipline a cat, but you can establish boundaries. It's hard giving the cute little furballs an attention time-out, but in the long run it's best for both of you. Just remember....comfort a yowling cat now, and you'll be doing it five years from now too. Lol.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree 100% w/ everything you said except for the use of water. I'll admit I have tried it before in my younger days, before I knew better, and it didn't hold a candle to behavior mod + pos reinforcement. I do everything you mentioned except for the squirting, and I make sure to praise my cats for everything good they do no matter how small.

It makes a difference.

gingerkid

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just curious... has anyone tried only positive reinforcement?  Is it at all effective with cats?  Anyone use clicker training for their cat, and have some tips, and does it work for modifying behavior or only for trick training?  What is your take on "bopping" the cat on the head (very lightly, of course).  Are there differences in training between fully grown cats and kittens?

I admit, we use the squirt bottle, but only when he's on the counters/table (loud noises don't work!  At all!  Unless we actually start walking towards him).  I've now started trying the positive reinforcement method (which we've used for other things with Murdoch, and for everything with our dog).  No idea if it will work, we only started yesterday.  At the very least I hope to be able to train him to get down without either of us having to physically chase him off the table/counters.

At least the biting is decreasing...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited: