Training A Cat To Be Picked Up

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all, sorry if this has been covered before but I couldn't find anything. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on getting an adult cat used to being picked up. I've been trying for a while now with small pick ups and treats but she hasn't become any more relaxed.

Her background isn't really known, she was around 1 when we got her after being captured living wild with a new litter of kittens. She's definitely used to people and is very affectionate when she comes to us. However if we go towards her she runs away. She's lived here for over a year now, and the improvements with this behaviour are minimal...she won't react as badly when she's lying down but if she's up and about she runs still.

Amy help would be appreciated, vets trips and flea treatments would be a whole lot easier if we could pick her up

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some cats just plain don't like to be picked up. I have one cat that I caught as a stray outside, she will let you pet her, but being picked up is not allowed (according to her), lol. I've had her for about a year and a half and I am just recently slowly working (every few days) with lifting her up, bringing her to my chest, and then putting her right back. I have so far gotten to the point she no longer flees as soon as I put her back down, but she doesn't relax when held, yet. I can also only pet her when and where she decides, most of the time she still runs. Some cats you just have to go at their pace, you can't rush it or you will be going backwards and lose trust.

Also most cats need to have a reason to accept something, from her point of view what is in it for her to be picked up? Maybe you could try a more high value treat to use just for when you pick her up. Or if she really likes playing pull out her favorite toy right after, so she gets picked up, but then gets to play with her favorite toy.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have three cats.
  1. Nightfury absolutely loves being held. Just this morning I was fixing breakfast in the kitchen when he mewed at my feet and then gracefully jumped onto my chest (yes from the ground in one graceful motion with no claws or scrambling, I am 5'8" so he can jump easily five feet vertical). I caught him and he cuddled onto my shoulder, burying his face in my hair, and all purrs and content sighs.
  2. Link, will tolerate being held but he is completely stiff the whole time and will sigh when he is done. He must be kept upright with front paws on shoulder and hind paws cradled. He must be given a treat after his dignity is affronted. I pick him up every few weeks just to repeat the process so I can pick him up easier when I need to.
  3. Rocket, oh Rocket. You'd think she died every time she was picked up. She turns into a squealing ball of fluff that you can't get a good grip on. There have been numerous times that Link will come running into my legs trying to defend her from the threat; only to discover its fine. She has gotten better with time, she's now three and I can actually pick her up when needed. When she first came to us as a feral 4 month old it was a real ordeal to even get hands around her.
I don't try to push my cats much past their boundaries. Link, I only do it rarely and treat him after. Held just long enough to assert that he is being held and not just tossed around. He has never had a problem being picked up, its the holding he doesn't like. Even then he doesn't really fight it or fight someone. Just big sighs and grumbles.

Rocket, I started by just sitting on the floor and petting her. Over time I started crouching, then standing when I pet her since her biggest hold up was the huge human looming over her. Now, I make it a point to stand, lean and pet her on a regular basis so that looming isn't immediately fearful. I've started using two hands more often so that isn't as scary for her. Once she doesn't shy away at two hands I will work on being able to reach under her while petting. I can grab her if needed; assuming I let her get really into the petting and quick grab her or (mostly in the beginning) pet or feed her while sitting on the floor. But we are talking a process of several years and small increments. My goal has never been to pick her up for the sake of picking her up but simply to be able to medicate or take her to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice so far, the ultimate goal is only to pick her up easily for vets or if she needs medication, I don' think she'll ever enjoy it but if I could get her to tolerate it I'd be happy!

She responds well to play so that could be a good idea, and also doing it when she's lying down so at the same level. I definitely couldn't do it whilst she's stood up! Hopefully one day though.

I always take problem cats and she is the first that hasn't really improved like the others did with picking up. She's not aggressive which is a huge bonus, but it's something we have to work on for vets and medicating.

So any more tips or advice please share! I'e got a couple of things already to try so thanks Kieka Kieka and amethyst amethyst , I appreciate your replies.