Tractor-Trailer-Drivers.....You-Best-Heed-This-Warning

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If-you-insist,on-getting-one-foot,from-my-bumper,going-60-mph,then-when-you-do-pass,I-will-get-your-company-name,and-trailer-number,and-call-your-dispatcher.

They-must-have-taught-you-in-tractor-trailer-driving-school,about-safe-distances,and-how-much-distance-is-needed,to-safely-stop-your-truck-and-trailer.

Can-you-really-live,with-the-fact,that-you-killed-someone?

Suppose-that-person-panics,at-seeing-a-huge-truck,that-close-to-their-bee-hind?Guess-who,is-at-fault?........YOU!

How-would-you-feel,if-another-driver-did-that-to-your-wife,sister,mother??

You-may-not-be-aware-of-it,but-your-Employer's-Commercial-Auto-rates,which-is-what-they-pay,to-insure-those-vehicles,is-determined,by-about-a-zillion-factors,one-of-which,is-the-drivers-driving-records.

When-that-policy-comes-up-for-renewal,the-Underwriters,run-the-driving-records,of-all-the-drivers.If-a-driver-has-a-poor-driving-record,they-can-force,that-company,to-take-you-off-as-a-driver,if-the-company-refuses,the-insurance-company-raises-the-rates,by-a-very-lot.

Guess-what-usually-happens?

That-company-takes-the-driver-off,as-a-driver.

Want-to-lose-your-job???

I-travel-all-over,going-to-cat-shows.I-find-that-the-majority-of-the-drivers-out-there,are-very-courteous,to-the-"four-wheelers".

But-it-only-takes-one.

People,if-a-tractor-trailer-driver,gets-on-your-bumper,like-right-on-your-bumper,when-he-passes,look-at-the-name-of-the-company,it-will-be-on-the-cab/truck.Then-look-at-the-trailer-number,its-on-the-back-of-the-trailer,usually-the-numbers-are-pretty-good-sized,most-times,its-in-the-bottom-corner.Note-the-approx-location,and-time-of-day.

Most-trucks,have-a-computer-in-them,that-shows,exactly,where-they-are,at-any-given-time,so-it-will-match,to-the-information,you-give.

Then-call-the-company,ask-to-speak-to-the-person-in-charge-of-the-drivers,or-the-dispatcher`.Be-poliet,and-state-the-facts,and-give-as-much-information,as-you-can,the-trailer-number,is-the-key,that,tells-them,who,the-driver-is.

Most-are-very-nice,and-will-help-you,they-don't-want-unsafe-drivers-out-there-either,it-raises-their-rates,or,worse,huge-law-suit.

Yes,I-used-to-do-Commercial-insurance,and-yes,I-have-friends-who-are-drivers,so-I-know-how-it-all-works.

You-best,heed-this-warning,because,I-WILL-report-you.

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have you (or anyone here) ever called to report a semi driver? I have on at least one occasion, and there was another occasion in which I should have called but didn't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Once I called 911 because a portion of the load on the trailer was not secured and was just waiting for a bump to shake it off onto an unsuspecting driver. Another time I called because the driver was clearly speeding. I was going the full speed limit and he passed me pretty quick (it's rare, in my years of experience, that a semi driver would be speeding so blatantly).

And one time, I was heading home on a lonely stretch of highway when a semi decided to play hopscotch with me. First he sped to pass me, then slowed down so I had to pass him. When I realized he was playing with me, I hit the gas to get far enough ahead of him so he couldn't see what exit I was taking. I was young at the time and far from home, so it was pretty scary, but I didn't call about it because I figured the only way any harm could come to me was if I pulled over. (Not too long before that, in my home area there was a news story about something similar--a guy following a girl in her car. I don't remember how she became aware that she was being followed, but she called 911 and was directed to pull over at a certain rest area, where police were waiting for him. They found equipment in his trunk that indicated he was out to kidnap and maybe kill her. All of that was in my mind, but I figured a semi driver is unlikely to take a break from work to kidnap and kill someone and that maybe he was just bored and wanted to have some fun spooking somebody. In hindsight, I should have reported him.)

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually I'm passing semis on the interstate---I think a lot of them have governors set at 65 or 70, and the speed limit is 75---and I can't say I've ever seen a "real" trucker doing anything awful (the once-a-year farm truck drivers can get pretty hair-raising, though! :eek:). Although once my cousin who is a trucker told me "don't ever get in the way of a semi; chances are the driver is peeing into a bottle, and he'd rather run you over than spill the pee"! LOL, thanks for the advice, Mike!

They do tend to drive "too fast" in the snow, but then they do have 18 wheels on the road so I'm sure it's safer for them than those of us in teeny front-wheel-drive Hondas. But, nope, I've never seen anything that would make me want to call the number on the back of the truck.

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, normally I figure that they are among the safest drivers on the road (except for if they've been driving for hours and hours, or peeing into a bottle, or switching drivers w/o pulling over, or... or... or...
), and it's true that they usually don't approach the speed limit. But I remember when gas prices were still around $1/gallon that it wasn't rare that they'd speed past you, but normally they weren't going so fast that it was a cause for concern. That's why that one guy deserved to be called; he was clearly pushing it.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As a driver for some 36 years now, I have to say that truck drivers probably have a lower percentage of jerks than the general driving public.  In fact, truck/car fatality accidents have been found to be 75% to 85% of the time the fault of the car driver.  A truck driver is 18 times more likely to die on the job as a police officer, and the odds are 8 out of 10 that death was caused by a car driver.

That said, there ARE jerks out there.  But keep in mind some things are not in the driver's control.  For example, my truck is governed at 62 mph.  That's bad enough.  If I pull up behind someone going 61, yep, I'll pass him, usually.  Yep, it takes a long time.  Don't like it?  Call my company and tell them that being governed at that speed is ridiculous.  If you had your cruise set on 71 and come up on someone going 68, you'd pass them without a thought.  Give me the same understanding.

Most trucking companies teach the Smith System, which recommends a 7 second following distance.  A driver within 2 seconds is courting disaster (and will make you nervous).  It's hard in urban traffic to maintain 4 seconds.  Our company trucks have a sensor that will slow a truck if it's closer than 4 seconds.

If you rode with me a day, you'd change your opinions.  If you rode with me a week, you'd be amazed drivers aren't purposely running cars off the road.

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As a driver for some 36 years now, I have to say that truck drivers probably have a lower percentage of jerks than the general driving public.  In fact, truck/car fatality accidents have been found to be 75% to 85% of the time the fault of the car driver.  A truck driver is 18 times more likely to die on the job as a police officer, and the odds are 8 out of 10 that death was caused by a car driver.

That said, there ARE jerks out there.  But keep in mind some things are not in the driver's control.  For example, my truck is governed at 62 mph.  That's bad enough.  If I pull up behind someone going 61, yep, I'll pass him, usually.  Yep, it takes a long time.  Don't like it?  Call my company and tell them that being governed at that speed is ridiculous.  If you had your cruise set on 71 and come up on someone going 68, you'd pass them without a thought.  Give me the same understanding.

Most trucking companies teach the Smith System, which recommends a 7 second following distance.  A driver within 2 seconds is courting disaster (and will make you nervous).  It's hard in urban traffic to maintain 4 seconds.  Our company trucks have a sensor that will slow a truck if it's closer than 4 seconds.

If you rode with me a day, you'd change your opinions.  If you rode with me a week, you'd be amazed drivers aren't purposely running cars off the road.

The thing I don't get is, if you (general you) find yourself in a situation where a semi is trying to pass you and it's taking forever, why don't you just slow down for a while and let him pass?

I have to agree with your statement that truckers have a lower percentage of jerks than the general driving public. In all my years of driving, the only times a trucker caused me concern are the three I mention above (and at least one of those times the issue was something that the driver was likely unaware of); but the times regular drivers have are innumerable.

Last edited:

spudsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I wish there was a like button on here. You spoke it so well, I have to give you a
. I deliver the mail (rural) and truck drivers are always willing to give me space and courtesy, not so much with GDP(general driving public), I extend the same courtesy to the truck drivers. They are more likely to be courteous than other drivers as a whole!

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also agree with mrblanche. I never could figure out why the general public thought I could stop my truck faster with a loaded horse trailer on it than by itself. I have yet to have a semi pull out in front of me, and especially to turn left. I have had semis give me room to move over when I've needed to get off at an exit. The only drivers that ever road my bumper when I was pulling a horse trailer were not in a semi.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The thing I don't get is, if you (general you) find yourself in a situation where a semi is trying to pass you and it's taking forever, why don't you just slow down for a while and let him pass?
If a slow truck comes up on me and there is anyone behind him, I tap the cruise down a couple of miles per hour to let him get around me and not cause a roadblock. 

By the way, you know some of the states encourage trucking companies to turn down their trucks (or give the trucks a slower speed limit), thinking it will cause "friction" and thus lower speeds, overall.  Most of those states have a higher than average car/truck accident rate, too.  California is the biggest offender, there.

In addition, car drivers should be aware of two programs currently going on.  In one (pioneered in the Portland, OR, area), trucking companies have designated drivers stop on one side of the city and pick up a police officer.  He then rides with the driver, watching for aggressive cars around the truck.  There is a chase car up ahead of them, ready to pull over and ticket offenders.  In another, more and more trucking companies are adding video recorders on their trucks.  If a truck is involved in an accident, the video is reviewed.  If the driver is clearly at fault, the company settles quickly.  But if he clearly was not at fault, the company will spend whatever it takes make sure the car driver takes financial and legal responsibility for the accident.  Companies used to just roll over; if a driver involved in an accident with a truck said he was going to sue, the trucking companies would give them their "low limit," which was something in the range of $50,000, just to stay out of court.  However, that encouraged everyone to sue.  Now car drivers are getting a bill for damage to the truck, trailer, freight, driver, and down-time compensation (in excess of $1,000 per day) for all of them.  Some companies have gotten multi-million dollar awards from stupid car drivers.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

flintmccullough

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
mrblance-is-right.The-"four-wheelers"-are-way-worse,most-of-them,and-every-day.I-travel-a-4-lane-highway-to-work-and-back-every-day.Its-like-driving--in-the-Indy-500,and,the-worse-offenders,are-the-big-pickups-and-the-big-SUV's-and-all-of-the-very-expensive-luxury-cars.It's-like-they-feel-they-are-"entitled'.

I-have-a-PT,he-is-a-little-guy,he-is-a-4-cyc.He-does-not-have-much-power.Wish-I-could-afford-a-bigger-vehicle,but,I-can't.Every-day-the-SUV's-and-big-P/U's-will-ride-my-bee-hind,until-I-can-get-him-up-to-60,when-getting-on-the-highway,when-they-pass,they-blow-their-horn,or-cut-back-in-front-of-me,as-close-as-they-can.Instead-of-terrorizing-me,they-should-be-thankful,they-can-afford,-a-vehicle-that-has-more-power.

2-yrs-ago,was-hit-by-a-big-SUV,as-he-was-passing-me,police-wrote-it-up-as-an-inatentive-driver.The-PT-is-a-little-guy,but-he-took-on-that-SUV-and-won,and-saved-my-life.The-SUV-hit-him,once,hit-him-twice,the-PT-kept-going-straight.The-third-time,he-hit-him-on-the-corner-of-his-front.Send-the-PT-spinning.I-was-terrifed.I-was-sure-he-was-going-to-flip,he-never-did,he-is-little,but-he-is-wide.

His-whole-left-side-was-smushed-in,all-his-tires-were-flat,but-he-was-still-standing,and-I-was-hurt,but-alive.He-was-totaled,devistated-me,I-loved-that-PT.

He-gave-his-life-for-me.

He-became-an-"organ-doner".One-of-the-cat-show-people's-husband-saw-him-in-the-junk-yard.He-was-pretty-distinctive,had-a-sticker-on-the-back,Caution-Show-Cats-On-Board,pretty-well-known-at-the-shows.Husband-told-his-wife,I-saw-that-PT,can't-believe-she-lived-thru-that.

Wish-you-had-been-riding-with-me,that-day.

Got-another-PT,not-him,and-not-what-I-wanted,but-it-was-a-PT,no-money,the-ins-just-paid-him-off,and-one-week-to-find-another-one,ins-co-wanted-their-rental-back.

I-travel-all-over-for-cat-shows,6-7-hrs-one-way,sometimes-8-hrs,and-I-travel-at-night.99%-of-the-tractor-trailer-drivers-are-very-courteous.Some-are-even-the-doubles.When-they-pass,I-flash-my-lights,so-they-can-pull-over,they-flash-back-thanking-me.

I-don't-care-how-long-it-takes-a-tractor-trailer-driver-to-pass-me,I-don't-have-a-issue-with-that,like-StealthKitty-said,I-just-slow-down.

What-I-do-have-an-issue-with,is-the-tractor-trailer-drivers-who-are-ONE-FOOT-off-my-bumper,and-we-are-traveling-at-60-mph!!!

I-have-a-little-car,your-tractor-trailer-is-like-a-zillion-times-bigger.What-exactly,does-he-think,is-going-to-happen,if-he-hits-me??

If-I-am-going-to-slow,then-pass-me.You-wait-for-traffic-to-clear,then-you-pass,thats-what-everybody-else-does,are-you-exempt??

Does-it-make-you-feel-like-a-big-man,to-terrorize-someone-in-a-little-car??

My-driver-friends-told-me,to-put-on-my-flashers.They-said-the-drivers-respect-that.In-most-cases-it-does-work,not-that-day.

The-day-I-wrote-this-post,was-coming-home-from-work,tractor-trailer-was-coming-up-behind-me,fast.I-was-doing-the-speed-limit.He-could-have-passed,he-chose-to-get-on-my-bumper,like-right-on-my-bumper.It-terrifed-me.Nice-to-know,it-would-not-have-terrified-anyone-else.He-was-also-tanker,hmm,wonder-what-he-was-hauling?

Wish-you-had-been-riding-with-me......that-day.

My-personal-favorite.Was-coming-home-from-a-show,Sun-night,two-lanes,and-they-were-packed-solid-with-traffic.I-was-doing-the-speed-limit,65-mph.Tractor-trailer-driver-got-right-on-my-bee-hind.I-slowed-down,he-slowed-down,I-sped-up-he-sped-up.No-where-for-me-to-go,passing-lane-was-solid.

This-is-in-the-pitch-dark,late-at-night,going-65-mph.

All-of-a-sudden,there-is-a-huge-pile-of-debris-in-front-of-me,in-my-lane.

Can't-slam-on-my-brakes,he-would-have-for-sure-hit-me.Can't-go-in-the-other-lane,it-was-packed-solid.My-only-choice,was-to-hit-it,and-pray,I-don't-go-off-the-road,or-crash.I-was-terrified.

Car-went-thru-it,whatever-it-was,and-kept-going.That-driver,backed-way-down,guess-he-was-tired-of-playing-with-me,or-maybe-realized,he-could-have-caused-an-accident.Was-shaking-the-rest-of-the-way-home,that-it-didn't-cut-the-brake-lines,that-it-didn't-cut-the-fuel-lines,that-my-tires-wouldn't-blow.

Wished-you-were-riding-with-me.....that-day.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I find most truck drivers are very good; however, there are those few bad apples.  One time when I was in college, I was on the interstate and was boxed in my 3 truckers. I was driving a little Geo Storm, and I don't think I did anything to make them mad (I usually give trucks a big leeway if I can because..well..I won't win).  One got in front of me, one right on my bumper and the third was right beside me (I was in the slow lane). They kept speeding up and slowing down...in sync, so it wasn't a coincidence. That scared the crap out of me. I didn't know if I was going to end up hitting the one in front or find the other up my tail pipe!

I have seen more regular drivers be rude to truckers than vise-versa. I can't believe how many drivers cut off trucks. Sorry folks, they can't stop on a dime. Or refuse to let trucks in the passing lane when they need to pass the car in front of them.  The mountains here are pretty extreme (6% grade for about 4 miles on some) which has to be hard for truckers. 

Just curious Mike, have you ever driven Interstate 68 in western Maryland? If so, what did you think? I personally think you should get hazard pay for driving it, especially in winter!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The majority of truck drivers, including my husband, are some of the BEST drivers on the road. It's the idiots in cars that scare THEM.  Car drivers also need to be told not to drive like maniacs around trucks, BTW.  Ever watch those car commericals that show, usually a pretty young woman, that guns the engine and PASSES THE TRUCK (AND ON THE TRUCK DRIVER'S BLIND SPOT AREA)? I've seen far more of those incidents than any bad truck driving.

To be fair to some of the "bad" truck drivers: the trucking companies sometimes run them HARD. Yes, there are laws regarding the number of hours between shifts, but some companies flagrantly disregard those laws, and push the drivers. Hubby has worked for some of those companies (and not for very long!).  He recently drove a few days with severe flu. He was almost falling asleep, luckily while sitting, waiting for his load, not behind the wheel.  It's very hard to take sick days; but he did, for the first time in 10 years, take one. And I think that's only because he has a new, kind boss that really likes him. The other guy would shame him into coming in (the one other time he tried to take a sick day years ago).

Also, they (the companies) are notorious, at least in my state, for not properly maintaining the trucks. The drivers get crappy, old, falling apart trucks. And oh, btw, without functioning air conditioning on the hottest days.  Much of this could be distracting to a driver. That, and having a bi-polar dispatcher literally screaming at you to hurry up to make the next stop.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Car drivers also need to be told not to drive like maniacs around trucks, BTW. Ever watch those car commericals that show, usually a pretty young woman, that guns the engine and PASSES THE TRUCK (AND ON THE TRUCK DRIVER'S BLIND SPOT AREA)?
. . .should car drivers not pass a truck? I'm confused as to what you meant here. Aren't we always in a trucker's blind spot area when passing? I thought it couldn't be helped.

They really should have little tutorials about how car drivers should behave around semi trucks, because I doubt I know half of it, and I have family members who are truckers. Other people probably have less of a clue.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you're going to pass a truck, do it quickly and smoothly.  I've seen people actually get beside me and drive there, because they were in the shade!

If a truck pulls out to pass you, DO NOT SPEED UP!!!  This happens so often, it's a real sore spot among drivers.  I get out there, going as fast as my governor will let me, and some idiot speeds up a mile or two per hour, just enough to keep me from passing.

I could make a list of the stupid things drivers (of all sorts) do, but it would just be griping.

Tailgating is one of the "deadly sins" for truckers.  One ticket like that, and you could lose your job.  Two in 3 years, and you'll have a 60-day license suspension and lose your job.  Three in three years and you'll get a one-year suspension.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
. . .should car drivers not pass a truck? I'm confused as to what you meant here. Aren't we always in a trucker's blind spot area when passing? I thought it couldn't be helped.

They really should have little tutorials about how car drivers should behave around semi trucks, because I doubt I know half of it, and I have family members who are truckers. Other people probably have less of a clue.
I guess I didn't say what I meant, sorry!  I, myself, try never to pass trucks. However, those stupid commercials always show some dimwit rapidly accelerating (i.e., "speeding) and whipping triumphantly around the truck, like it's some cool game. It's stupid. You should never do that to a car, let alone a big truck.  It's poor driving. The commericals make it sound like a fun game.