toys

dreamey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
admittedly, I'm not sure the best place for this, but "care" seemed as good as any....

as many know by now, I have a couple of cats from a shelter. One of the cats I have brought in and will be an indoor cat (maybe indoor outdoor, but she doesn't show any interest in bolting out of doors yet).

I know that exercise is very important to cats, some more so than others..... I have a cat dancer for her and a rolling ball with a mouse in it. She ignores both.

she does love to be petted and brushed, and other than trying to jump onto a window ledge last night and missing (causing the framed photo below the window to fall down and scaring her even more) she hasn't been showing much interest in exercise.

soo... any suggestions?

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Neither one of mine are real big on playing, but Da Bird is definitely a favorite. You might also want to try a kickaroo, they can hold on to it and give it some good bunny kicks:

One thing I've found that helps is to have a good selection of different toys, and rotate them out every week or so, so they don't get bored. I've kept toys from Holland for a couple of months before and she'd go crazy for them when she "got" them again.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My oldest Piper has never been one for toys, either.  She does LOVE catnip, though.  So I always make sure I have some fresh catnip toys for her.  I think you may have one just uninterested in toys?  She does like catnip bubbles... Like bubbles for kids only for cats... It is a sight to see them go after the bubbles and watch them pop them and wonder what happened!!!  Piper will play "tag" with the others and she'll get a wild hair on a catnip buzz and go tearing through the house for about 20min or so.  I wouldn't worry too much about it.  Find something she does like and if she doesn't seem unhappy, it probably isn't important to her. 

A link for some catnip bubbles

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kookamunga-Catnip-Bubbles-4-oz.-Bottle-Cats/3635183

thembcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Every cat I've had growing up have all loved laser pointers. They're relatively cheap, if you want something that you don't have to be involved, the BOLT laser toy is really good.  Chacho loves his, though we have a small apartment so its hard, if not impossible to adjust to laser to be just on the floor.http://www.frolicat.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=F&Product_Code=TL1-003   

One thing I love about this device is that it has a built in timer so it automatically turns off after 15minutes, so you can turn it on and forget about it without worrying about running the batteries out.  It also has a manual mode so if you want to control the laser you can, all you do is hold the power button for 3 seconds after turning the device on.  Its also pretty inexpensive too, it costs about $20.00. I've had mine for a little over 3 months and the batteries haven't worn out yet.

If your cat likes catnip but you hate the mess, Pawbreakers are amazing. Pretty much they're a compressed ball of catnip. Its very hard and sturdy so you don't have to worry about it breaking apart. My parents have had one for 2 years and though there's worn areas from the cats contantly licking it, the Pawbreaker hasn't fractured or broken apart.  I personally don't have one, mainly because Petco and Petsmart have been out of them for the past 3 months lol. The only real con to them is that they can get rolled under furniture like other similar sized cat toys.

My cat also loves the PetStages Plaque Away Pretzel cat toy. If I remember right, its from the Dental line of toys though its not listed on their website..  Its a thin roll of canvas covered in a durable mesh so when the cat plays with it, it wears away plaque and flosses your cats teeth. Chacho absolutely LOVES his pretzel, I have to say its his favorite. Its the purrfect size and safe for a cat to carry around and throw.

http://www.petstages.com/cats-menu.html

Last edited:

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Smokie likes this, and grant it -there are cheaper versions, but this was a birthday gift from hubby one year

Also likes balls and Da bird is a favorite too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dreamey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thanks for all the advise.

strangely, I'm finding that the wand moves during the day and night.. all on its own. but if I try to use it, the cat wants nothing to do with it. (I've used them before so i don't think it is truly operator error)