Toys In Litterbox?!

leeannrm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I have a 4-month-old kitten, and he has some strange behavior sometimes! But he likes to "drop off" his toys in the litter box. He doesn`t bury them or anything, just has them sit on the edge of the litter box, but still somewhat inside of the box. AND its always his favorite toy he cuddles with every night. Has anyone else`s kitten done this? LOL not sure if this is normal or he's just a weird little guy!

kobata1928

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One of my cats used to put his favorite 2 toys in the litterbox, though he did bury them. For a couple months I was constantly washing and drying stuffed toys until he just stopped randomly one day and hasn't done so since. I didn't change anything with the boxes, litter, or scooping so I guess it was just a phase. Though much less trouble, all my cats still put toys in their water dishes.

losna

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My understanding from the volunteering I've done at a local cat shelter is that cats put items into litter boxes and food/water bowls because those are the places they deem to be the safest. No matter where the cat is moved to, the litter box and water/food bowls will come with him/her, so they are clearly good places to cache desirable objects.

GalifreyGirl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two like to drown their toys in their water bowls. Sometimes there are 2-3 toys per dish. They're plotting a massacre I say...

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, sweet but must be frustrating! My two used to do this when we first got them. We'd come downstairs in the morning and there would be toy mice in the water bowl, toy mice in the litter... once they're older and have explored more and found their comfy spots in the house, they'll probably get out of this habit.