Toys good for chewers

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I have a 1 year old rambunctious kitty (he will be 2 this summer) who absolutely loves chewing. He seems to do it when he wants something but he also chooses things to chew on that are not exactly kitty safe (he has tried to chew wooden clothes pins. He did not swallow the wood. He has tried to chew wires. I bought rabbit proof wire protectors). I got a little teething toy when I first got him that seemed to work for a while. I tried to redirect his chewing to the toy but he doesn't seem interested in it anymore. Are there any toys that would satisfy his need to chew so that he doesn't chew something that could harm him?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I give my cats thick plastic "milk shake" straws to chew on, they might be getting hard to find now since everyone is becoming anti-straw plastic though. I also grow my own catnip and they like chewing on the dried thick stems, since he likes the wooden clothes pins you might want to try silvervine sticks for him to chew on. If you are looking for more actual toys they do make chew toys for cats as well, Petstages brand has a few Petstages Dental Health Cat Chew Toy, Multi, One-Size and Petstages Kitty Dental Chew Wheel, Multi, One-Size for examples.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A cardboard box is a great toy for a chewer. He can spend hours chewing and tearing off little pieces of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Masson99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do I ensure he doesn't eat it? I'm afraid he would form a blockage

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
How do I ensure he doesn't eat it? I'm afraid he would form a blockage
Most cats don’t eat paper. They pull it off with their teeth and spit it out and find that to be great fun. But watching Him for a few minutes will tell you what he does.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sometimes cats chew because they are bored even if you play with them a lot. Adding a second cat often helps if another cat works with your lifestyle / living situation / etc.

You can try one of those hard rubber Kong dog toys. A puppy sized one should be small enough for the cat to chew on. The Kong Company makes a purple Kitty Kong toy but I think a cat can chew through that.

Maybe offer a raw gizzard or poultry heart for chewing. It's healthy and safe if pieces are ingested.