Toy Recommendations For Newly Indoor Cat?

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My boy Joey has recently gotten surgery after developing an abscess on his lower back near his leg. We have decided to try and make him an indoor cat, he has a been an outdoor/indoor cat all his life, we got him as a stray(?) a few years ago when he ran away from his old house afternoon dogs chased him out. Especially in the Summer he has gone outside for most of the day, and it makes me feel guilty to be doing this, but it is for his safety as he’s been getting hurt more than usual lately outside.

Anyways, he’s about 5 years old and I was wondering what kind ignorant toys we should get him? He usually doesn’t play with your typical toys, but then again, he was still an outdoor/indoor cat so he wasn’t as bored. Any suggestions?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My local Mom and Pop pet store has a selection of local made toys. Real unprocessed feather and fur type things (all of which trigger my allergies they are so unprocessed). My cats seem to love them and they are indoor/outdoor. The real feathers on a wand are the biggest hit, especially if I make them flutter. The Cosmic Catnip toy line is another big hit. The last time I got a box with those I came home to find the box tore open and I was already missing on toy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My local Mom and Pop pet store has a selection of local made toys. Real unprocessed feather and fur type things (all of which trigger my allergies they are so unprocessed). My cats seem to love them and they are indoor/outdoor. The real feathers on a wand are the biggest hit, especially if I make them flutter. The Cosmic Catnip toy line is another big hit. The last time I got a box with those I came home to find the box tore open and I was already missing on toy.
Ooo sounds interesting! I’ll definitely have to check that out!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats are funny. You can spend all kinds of money on toys, and they'll have the most fun with the box or wrapper the toy came in! ;)

My Ruby likes to bat around the bottle caps off of a milk or juice carton. And she likes it when I cut a cardboard paper towel into rings. And she likes chasing balls, but she prefers some types more than others. A scrunched up foil ball is always popular too.

And then of course you can spend money and buy real toys. Here's a few articles that might have some good ideas for you:
8 Superb Automated Cat Toys That You're Going To Love!
7 Proven Ways To Get Your Cat To Be More Active
Beating Boredom - What Indoor Cat Owners Need To Know
Top Selling Cat Toys

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are like rubysmama rubysmama 's in that they're pretty happy with things already around the house. One of my cats likes pipecleaners wound around my finger to make a spring, and one cat fetches thick rubber bands. (Just make sure your cat doesn't eat small toys.) One cat loves hide-n-seek in any old cardboard box with a few peepholes cut into the sides.

I made a feather-string toy with a wood dowel and feather chunks cut off a costume feather boa. All 3 cats love that.

They also all liked the TurboScratcher for a couple months anyway. They still use the cardboard scratcher in it now and then, but sort of got bored with the ball in the loop.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...oh and ping pong balls in the bathtub or rolled across hard flooring. Plus the little real-rabbit-fur covered mice. You need lots of both of those, unless you want to be digging for them under the refrigerator and furniture all the time.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
What really helps former outdoor cats is either catio like enclosures or a space indoors where they can watch birds and wildlife. I live in a cold weather climate and find that a heated birdbath brings creatures large and small to the yard. As far as toys, anything that can be chased and captured, so rubber balls, springs, crinkle balls , etc make great toys. Interactive food puzzles where the cat needs to find and pull out food would also be great.

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for the late response everyone! I will definitely check out all of the brands and toys you have recommended!

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A couple of other toys you can prob try is a laser light and a good ol fashion homemade ball of yarn my furball that i just rescued from outside and turned him into an indoor only cat absolutely loves these kinds of toys. He wandered up into my yard at the end of last summer and i brought him in just before our winter hit indoors is always a safer place for cats there are so many dangers and bad things out there its better for them indoors. He also loves the aluminum foil balls and anything that has to do with feathers he goes crazy for them. Good luck in your search and keep us posted let us know what gets his engine going lol

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to give a word of caution about balls of yarn. These are actually choking hazards for cats and can also potentially cause intestinal blockages. Yarn, string, ribbon -- all very dangerous toys.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
No yarn! The reason yarn, thread, ribbon and strings are dangerous to cats is that the barbs on their tongues pull the material in and don’t allow them to spit it out. So if they get a strand in their mouth they will keep swallowing it down, causing either choking or intestinal blockages.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sucks too because my cat's favourite thing to chase is anything stringy. I'm curious if anyone has any good recommendations for "string-like" toys that are safe?

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to give a word of caution about balls of yarn. These are actually choking hazards for cats and can also potentially cause intestinal blockages. Yarn, string, ribbon -- all very dangerous toys.
Thank you for this warning i had no idea that balls of yarn are that dangerous the cat i rescued is the first cat i have had in like 15 years so i had no idea they were so bad for them i had always seen lots of other people that i know that have cats that gave thwm to them i took it straight away from him after i read this thank you so much and i will spread the word to my friends to

Beaglelover1980

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No yarn! The reason yarn, thread, ribbon and strings are dangerous to cats is that the barbs on their tongues pull the material in and don’t allow them to spit it out. So if they get a strand in their mouth they will keep swallowing it down, causing either choking or intestinal blockages.
Thank you so much for this information my rescue is the first cat i have had in 15 years i never knew yarn did that i took it away from him and i am spreading the word to people that i know with cats to not give them to them thank you so much

Brooke_10121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Beaglelover1980 Beaglelover1980 susanm9006 susanm9006 Neo_23 Neo_23
Oh wow I had no idea either that yarn did that! Thanks for the warning! I’ll defiantly try and buy him toys like that where it’s interactive to keep him busy and not bored.

catlover4ever1423

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My boy Joey has recently gotten surgery after developing an abscess on his lower back near his leg. We have decided to try and make him an indoor cat, he has a been an outdoor/indoor cat all his life, we got him as a stray(?) a few years ago when he ran away from his old house afternoon dogs chased him out. Especially in the Summer he has gone outside for most of the day, and it makes me feel guilty to be doing this, but it is for his safety as he’s been getting hurt more than usual lately outside.

Anyways, he’s about 5 years old and I was wondering what kind ignorant toys we should get him? He usually doesn’t play with your typical toys, but then again, he was still an outdoor/indoor cat so he wasn’t as bored. Any suggestions?
Hi,
I just purchased from amazon the Aropaw interactive mouse toy, my cat goes crazy for it! Best of luck

here is a link;