Toy mice in water

peekasoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, my two and half year old at, Sophie, has been putting toy mice in the water bowl. 

Back in July of last year, she had a spurt of putting the toy mice (any and all mice) in the toilet for about three weeks and then she stopped. 

She has always had access to these mice so I'm not sure why it's a coming and going behavior, but two days ago, she started putting Peekaboo's favorite mouse in the waterbowl. Sophie hardly plays with that particular mouse (she likes the a different kind), but Peekaboo carries it everywhere. I've pulled the wet mouse out four times already. 

Why is she doing this? I've heard some cats do it to drown their prey... But I caught her trying to fish it out of the toilet once after she threw it in there like she was playing with it.... 

Here is a picture of her in action back in July. lol.

https://statich.thecatsite.com/5/50/506eb9fb_photobucket-784-1332792813036.jpeg

Last edited:

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've heard people say that their cats like to dunk their toys in water so what she is doing isn't entirely abnormal. Why she stopped doing it then started again? My guess is that she got bored with it before and then remembered again it was fun. Or perhaps you got a new set of toys since then?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peekasoph

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
that's the funny thing about it. they are the same toy mice. if they ever get lost (which happens a lot.) we just buy a new pack. they are the same exact mice in colors and all. and she had them as a new introduction toy for about 3 months before she began her first dunking adventure. they both love the mice, but peekaboo has a favorite and that's the one sophie is dunking now.  

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's normal.  My Paige, Morgan La Fay and King Arthur do this.  It is a hunting behavior/instinct thing is what I was told a couple of years ago by a behavior expert.