Toxoplasmosis

Tyoder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Its been a heck of week with this kitten of mine! Took him to the vet last Wednesday because he stopped eating, drinking, and playing...vet said he has worms and gave him dewormer along with sending him home with amoxicillin and prednisone. By Friday morning, little man seemed to be going up, eating and drinking again, alert, playing. Friday late afternoon he started having seizures, almost every hour through to Saturday evening. Then suddenly Sunday morning, started acting normal again! No seizures, eating and drinking well, back to his loving and loud purring self...Sunday night however, seizures were happening again and less than a hour apart. I took him to a different vet today and he has been diagnosed with toxoplasmosis, which is believed to be from a parasite passed down through the placenta at birth. We have new antibiotics and another dewormer (since he still has worms even though last Wednesday, he was derwormed according to the first vet). The most recent vet seems confident that within 48 hours of the new antibiotics and 2 more doses of dewormer that they sent home with me, he will get through this ordeal. They were able to stop the seizures with diazepam and gave me the name of a 24 hr vet that can do an IV and give that med if the seizures start back up continously. This isn't a common problem with kittens but I hope it can help others that may encounter unknown seizures in their kittens, at least give an idea of what might be happening. I had no idea and couldn't come across this diagnosis with just a web search.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank goodness you found a vet who pinpointed the issue so quickly! No, it isn't the "run of the mill" thing at all, but early intervention is a real plus! Keep us posted on how your little one is doing, please!

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Tyoder and a belated welcome to the forum !

If I were in your shoes, I'd get a complete copy of his medical file from the clinic whose Vet made the Toxoplasmosis diagnosis - that would then be a definitive guide for any ER/other Vet you might need to consult..........

It's good practice to have a copies of all Vet records 'at home'.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tyoder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank goodness you found a vet who pinpointed the issue so quickly! No, it isn't the "run of the mill" thing at all, but early intervention is a real plus! Keep us posted on how your little one is doing, please!
Last night was scary, I could barely get him to open his eyes and his breathing was so shallow that I kept messing with his feet and ears every hour or so just to get him to move, to get some kind of response, so that I knew he was still alive. This morning he was awake and eating! So that's a good sign, and no seizures since he was at the vet! I hope that he was diagnosed properly this time and continues to improve as expected by the new vet, who I am so thankful took the time to really go over all his symptoms and observe him closely. I don't blame the first vet for not knowing, but part of me believes that had they taken more time checking him over, this issue could have been resolved before it got to the point of seizures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tyoder

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
2 months later, Gizmo has made a full recovery with no set backs, got him neutered 2 weeks ago and all shots are done! He is amazing and we live him dearly!

Attachments