Toxoplasmosis?

maxie_million

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there!

I joined this forum because it had such helpful advice in the past for me just on browsing, and I'm looking to get some advice or hear personal experience from anyone who's had a cat with toxoplasmosis.

My cat is about two years old. I adopted him almost exactly one year ago when he was around one, so I don't know what his history was as a kitten. He's a small guy who's only 10 pounds at his biggest, and he has had a neurological quirk since I got him - this only ever happens when he's dozing off to sleep, but he has had very noticeable full-body tremors and trembling that has seemed to have gotten a bit worse in the last few months, but were always present. He's gotten all his blood work done, tons of check ups - there is nothing off in his blood work, blood pressure, etc. Seems perfectly healthy if just looking at his bloodwork. Here's what's been going on with the tremors, and the vet has been scratching her head over him:

- Since I've had him, the vet assumed the tremors were a type of epilepsy that we wouldn't need to treat unless it resulted in a full seizure.

- However, during one of the appointments, the vet noticed some eye lesions. She wondered if it was from an illness as a kitten that stunted his growth a bit and left some neurological quirks, like kitty parvo.

- However, once she saw the eye lesions, she suspected that his tremors could very possibly be a toxoplasmosis infection, and she put him on a run of antibiotics to at least test the theory. After a week, the tremors had significantly diminished, and 3 weeks in, they seemed like they were completely gone.

- But then, slowly and surely, the tremors came back - they were much lighter initially, and now about 4 months later, they're back in full force. He falls asleep on top of me and it's upsetting feeling his entire body shaking and not being able to do anything.

Right now, the vet is putting him on a super low dose of compounded gabapentin to help with the tremors in case he's in pain (he doesn't seem like it, but it's impossible to tell with him), and hopefully to make them a bit milder. We're going to run a toxo test this week to see if he's had another flareup and officially confirm whether the tremors *are* toxo or whether they're a separate idiopathic neurological issue.

My big questions are:
- Has anyone had a cat with toxo that had a second flareup? We'll do a toxo blood test to figure out if this is truly the case, but the vet said it may not be perfectly definitive. End of the day, I'm worried if it is a second flareup, does it mean his immune system must be compromised in some way? Is there anything I should followup with the vet in this regard?

- Has anyone had issues with a similar type of tremor - that only seemingly happen in a relaxed state? Did you end up medicating for it, or just accept it as a quirk?

Looking forward to hearing from you. Thank you!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I really don't if this is toxo or not, but hopefully the tests will tell you something. I do know we have had several threads about cats with tremors, so I'll see if I can locate some of them for you. Here's one on toxo that might help,not sure:

Toxoplasmosis And Seizures

Here's a long thread on tremors while sleeping. Be sure to read all three pages of it. Kind of interesting:

Severe spasms during sleep

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxie_million

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I'm new to the site and I'm not super skilled at search yet, so these are helpful :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So sorry for what you and your kitty are going through. Toxo can cause neurological issues (as well as eye issues) which might be what you are seeing.

See if this article helps clarify anything for you, in case there is more detailed information in it than the above links that mrsgreenjeens mrsgreenjeens provided.

Toxoplasmosis in Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maxie_million

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update on this thread in case it helps anyone in the future. My cat tested negative for toxo, and the vet put him on gabapentin to manage his full body tremors that were happening as he falls asleep.

The gabapentin did nothing but knock him out-tremors continued the same as he fell asleep each time over the two weeks we used it.

Strangely enough, I started him on L-lysine / DMG supplements (vetriscience immune treats) because he always has ongoing sneezing flare ups. Since starting that, his tremors have become almost completely unnoticeable. They’re still there to a very small degree, but the difference is astounding - he used to lie on top of me trembling so hard that his paws would jerk uncontrollably. I have absolutely no idea what specifically is the cause of the tremors, but if I stop giving him the daily supplement, the tremors progressively increase each day he’s off them until they’re as bad as they originally were, so it seems obviously like the supplements are causing the relief.

Just putting this on here in case it ever helps someone in the future because I’d searched every corner of the internet for this issue and there aren’t often follow ups on what ultimately helped in these weird situations. Thank you for the suggestions and insights!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the update! I am glad you found something that is helping your cat with his tremors!! Apparently, the tremors are somehow tied to his immune system, which as you know, L-lysine DMG can be beneficial for. Strengthening his immune system is in some way helping to the tremors.

If any new developments arise, please let un know! And, if you would like to share his name with us and a pic, that would be great!!!