Touching face/ head with paw during play

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks!  I'll give it a go. 
  Don't know if Mouse will play along though - he kind of does what he wants but it could be fun trying as he loves human interaction

Oh, forgot to say, Mouse has never responded to any other cat vocalizations apart from his mum but  each time I play your videos of Pixel he comes right up to the laptop and looks like he's trying to figure out where the talking's coming from.     He's not been socialized with any cats other than his mum as had no siblings. He wasn't introduced to other cats at the breeders as they knew he'd be an only cat here. At a recent cat show he  was real interested in looking at the other cats but not interested or bothered by any of their vocalizations - including growling, hissing and spitting (which he doesn't do and I don't want him to learn). He hasn't responded to other cat talk on TV or on videos either.  His response to Pixel has me fascinated. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

asterix000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
MServant - well you hard her... its a job to ignore pixel 

asterix000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Double post :(

Last edited:

asterix000

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
*A note to anyone reading this tread, please understand that Salmonella is a very serious threat especially when you interact with children or elderly. Please do not take my “I’ll be fine and don’t need to listen to my vet” attitude that Salmonella is not serious. I was trained to safely deal with this pathogen (and anyone who wants to learn how can be just as cautious) but the important thing is to treat it as the hazard that it is.

For Salmonella composing a part of the natural flora of a cats stomach, sure! Horses pigs sheep reptiles and a lot of animals live quite happily with Salmonella living in the walls of their intestines. Kept in checked and reasonable numbers by competing micro flora this is fine.  The animal is said to be “infected,” I put that in quotes because how can you be infected by something that does not hurt you?.. well a sudden change in internal flora brought on by stress, antibiotics, change in diet, change in well almost anything to be honest may or may not shift the composition of a intestinal community and induce a disease state.

I actually had to give Pixel probiotic yogurt for a few weeks after she arrived, the stress of dealing with air Canada gave her tummy trouble, and who can blame her. I get sick when I deal with air canada too.

However, although the gut exists in flux, it’s more or less stable as can be seen by the billions of wild animals who eat non sterilized food (all of them) and don’t get sick. So Salmonella in the Cat is fine, but being zoonotic, Salmonella can shed and infect other organisms and make them sick.I’m not privy to explicitly beneficial species of Salmonella with the exception of S. typhimurium (Totally had to google to spell that! ..There was this thing I remember a while back there was a thing where that strand had the potential to treat lupus), however there may exist simply as a non pathogenic endotoxin producing strain that out competes other salmonella, however that would be a pretty significant variant to the cell wall (all gram negative bacteria have an endotoxin, but the name is misleading, it’s not always all that toxic). I know Salmonella in the typhoidal form is much less likely to make you sick but when it does it infects the Typhoid gland, and that’s pretty life threatening, so we won’t talk about that….

The reason we are so susceptible to Salmonella, in part, is our bodies own defense. Oxygen radicals are released to kill the bacteria that create sulfur compounds that Salmonella thrive in, unlike a lot of the other intestinal flora in the stomach. That lets Salmonella grow in numbers, and at the end of its growth curve comes mass death of Salmonella. The part that makes you sick is actually when the cell wall breaks down. Add to that a long generalist gut that isn’t particularly good at replenishing its natural flora, and a diet of sterile foods , and you have a digestive track that just don’t deal so well with potentially harmful bacteria.

TLDR:  the kind of Salmonella that lives happily in the stomach is the kind that lives with a bunch of other stuff in equilibrium. =).

I wrote this post at work!

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We used to have a pure bred Siamese (named Clyde), who would run up our backs to get to our shoulders.  He would jump up to your waist, then climb up your back.  I actually have scars on my back from his claws.  But he only wanted the high spot.  If I stood at the sink, he would run up, put his back paws on my shoulder and his front paws on the windowsill and stay there until I finished the dishes.    My FIL used to walk around with the yard with Clyde recumbent on his shoulders, just enjoying the view.

He was mouthy, too.  He'd come into a room and meow as if to say "S'up everybody?" then walk over to anyone in the room and get pets.

I do not know a lot about Savannahs (and the controversy about their backgrounds) but I've learned a lot reading this thread!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
*A note to anyone reading this tread, please understand that Salmonella is a very serious threat especially when you interact with children or elderly. Please do not take my “I’ll be fine and don’t need to listen to my vet” attitude that Salmonella is not serious. I was trained to safely deal with this pathogen (and anyone who wants to learn how can be just as cautious) but the important thing is to treat it as the hazard that it is.

TLDR:  the kind of Salmonella that lives happily in the stomach is the kind that lives with a bunch of other stuff in equilibrium. =).

I wrote this post at work!
I KNEW there was a good reason to live in a house like a pig sty and not spend all my time washing and cleaning. My immune system should be well developed!  
  On a serious note - I found this information really interesting, thank you.