Total Newbie

nina tame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!! As you can see I'm totally new to this and I'm after some advice! Quick background first :) I have four cats, my first Spooky I've had for 11 years...She's been fed on a variety of cheap supermarket tinned food and crappy kibble (untill a few months ago when I started my research!) and she also will eat mice and small birds that she's caught. 

My next three cats I've fostered from the shelter, Moggles is 11 and has skin conditions and also throws up a lot. Amelia is about 6 months now and eats everything and anything and Boris is about 6 I think also with skin conditions.

So I found out about how the cereal in kibble is really bad for them so have found a brand with zero cereals and 80% meat in. I'm really happy to give them this as compared to the rubbish they're used to this is great. I'm really interested in the raw diet though and my question is this...Could I primarily feed them on the good kibble but also give them a little raw meat too?

I know you shouldn't give the two together so say I was to give them the kibble in the evening could I give them a variety of raw in the mornings? I was thinking two mornings a week they get a chicken wing, maybe a few mornings some raw turkey or chicken breast and maybe once a week some sort of liver or kidney??

I know that the meat needs to be fresh and I'd probably get organic too.

Would it be ok to feed them like this? As they're still getting the kibble would I still need to add suplements?? 

Sorry for all the questions...I have two young children and I work and money is a bit tight so at the moment feeding a pure raw meat diet just wouldn't be practical.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can do "part-time raw". I do. As long as it's not more than 15% of their intake, youu don't need to add supplements. If they'll eat liver and kidney (which count as "supplements" of a sort) you could go higher. More canned food wouldn't be a bad thing either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nina tame

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The decent can food is minimum £1 for a small tin...I couldn't afford to feed my four that, it will be cheaper to buy organic wings! :)