Tortitude and a new puppy

sandithetortie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I've had my Sandi for just over a year, she was born in September 2013.

We just added a new 8.5 week old puppy to the house.

It seems to be going ok, he tends to stay away from her and she'll hiss at him if he gets within 3 feet of her, her tail will be bushy about half the time.

She's even meowed and hissed at us at times. No litterbox issues, so thats good. She does have our roommates room that she can run and hid in, ever since we moved here and our roommate moved in Sandi has abandoned us for our roommate. She often will just sit in a corner with paws and tail tucked under her and watch everything.

Strange thing, she will sometimes barol roll over and show her belly.

She's only swatted at the puppy once, very shortly after we brought him home and he got too close. He basically ignores her now. 

How long should I expect this from the cat?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
My 2 cats and dog..(got him as a puppy....black lab/retriever)....took about 6-8 months to fully integrate.

Meaning he was no longer wanting to chase the cats constantly, and play, and ended up playing with the younger cat...and sleeping in the same room.

The tuxedo cat did swat the dog very hard, on the nose, the first time they met.  The poor puppy backed off 4 feet, and cried.  I was more worried about the puppy, then,  
  and did not expect the cat to do that, because Spotty, the cat, had grown up around dogs. 

But the puppy Floppy was not seriously hurt, and learned to keep his distance from the cat...until he forgot 2 days later...and wanted to chase again.

We kept him on a long red training leash.

And had to have a baby gate separating the dog, from the cats.

What type of dog do you have, and what is his name?

(You're in for some fun times ahead.  enjoy, the moments.

)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

sandithetortie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hes a mini austrailan shepherd.
Axel Rose
Sandi now kinda plays chase with him. Shell hiss and run, hell chase her till she jumps over our barrier to keep axel out here and about five minutes later shell return :)

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds Sweet. 
  I think Sandi and Axel Rose are at the beginning of a great cat-dog relationship.

Soon, they will both be running circles around you guys.
   (take plenty of photos, because they grow up so fast. 
)