Tortiecat The Bold. Training Log: Relationship Building (cat & Dog)

caesg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
tl;dr. My dog (TuxeDog) and the more bold and human-oriented of my two cats (TortieCat) don’t get along very well. Below, I introduce the basic outlines of the situation and write up my first CatSite TortieCat training log detailing cuddles, crate training, and nosework.

---

Context.

TuxeDog & TortieCat didn’t get along very well. I now understand that they were both exhibiting species appropriate behavior and neither was likely in danger. However, at the time I knew much less about animal behavior and training, did not have access to a trainer, and was pretty stressed out by it all. About 2 years ago, TortieCat moved in with MrLoverMan. MrLoverMan and I got married a week ago (huzzah!) and so over the past couple months we’ve been working with an excellent trainer whose written up amazing training plans for us and coaches us in the implementation of said training plans. The training plans at this stage include introducing TuxeDog & TortieCat to each others scents, which they’ve taken to well. The next step is to introduce them to sight through a barrier at a distance. That’s been slowed down by TortieCat not being acclimated to a cat carrier or transportation. The training plan also includes adapted nosework and freeshaping for TortieCat as means of mental stimulation/to help her chilllllllllll out.

---

28 July 2018

Cuddles & Scritches.
MrLoverMan & I dropped by MrLoverMan's former residence tonight to check in on TortieCat and work on some training. We just let her love on us. I was a little concerned because MrLoverMan was petting her with robust nose-tip to tail-tip strokes and I commented, “I don't want her to get overstimulated.” So, then instead of back to back strokes MrLoverMan began to pause between strokes and allow TortieCat to approach him for the next stroke. Also, he started focusing more on face scritches with his fingers and less on full bodied strokes with the full palm of his hand and fingers. I think it helped as TortieCat's tail switching died down, her muscles appeared slightly less tense and the tongue flicking died down a little. There was a lot of distractions around, including two toddlers, and much of TortieCat's attention was on the sounds and movements in the room. She appeared more vigilant than usual, as expressed by quick movements in the direction of various sounds, increased body tension, and at some of the sounds she wouldn't just startle but her pupils would dilate, too. Poor TortieCat! [~10 minutes]

Crate Training.
We moved onto a quiet bedroom to work on the crate training. Ideally, we'd help her adapt to the crate, and then to being moved within the crate, and then to traveling in the car. I thought we had another month to work on this. However, after observing the new toddlers on the scene, we might be speeding things up a bit and cutting a few corners.

Crate training went much better than expected. We got the side door within one inch of closing and the front door within two inches of closing while providing an open tuna bar of treats with minimal stress indicators that I was noticing. I already knew from MrLoverMan's reports that she was comfortable eating treats while inside the cage but had trouble taking treats with the doors closed. We don't have a “kennel up” on command yet. So, we used a mixture of luring and capturing (I think that's what it's called? When the animal just does something on their own and you click and treat when they are in approximately the position you want SHAPING it's called shaping.) So, we utilized a mixture of luring and shaping where I rewarded her first for two paws in the crate, then three paws, and then when her entire body and all 4 paws were in the crate I offered verbal praise and an open bar of treats. Then, I continued the open bar and gentle verbal praise while closing each door by micro-meters at a time. Eventually, she heard something outside and ran for the door. Still, that seemed like a successful session. [Both doors within 2” of closing. ~10 minutes.]

Nosework.
I moved the crate out of the room and began to prepare for an adapted nosework session. (My trainer utilizes an adapted form of nosework for behavior modification and refers out to a NACSW certified trainer for dog owners interested in competitive/formal/sport nosework.) Ideally, TortieCat would be in a separate room while I set up the field but, toddlers.

I set up 6 finds in the room. This one took TortieCat a while. I think she primarily used her eyes and not her nose. When she was sniffing, it was primarily along the edge of the room and I think that has more to do with the fact that the room we were in used to be MrLoverMan’s/her room and she was checking for her own and other familiar scents. Also, there were lots of sounds and things going on outside the bedroom that she seemed to be paying attention to. Most of the time, the base of her tail was either parallel to the ground, or pointing downwards toward the ground. Occasionally the base of her tail would raise upwards at a 45 degree angle towards the ceiling. Regardless of the position of the base of her tail, the length of her tail was in a slow swish the entire time.

Once she navigated towards the finds, she seemed to start to “get it.” As soon as she started to eat the piece of tuna at a find, I offered verbal praise and placed a little more tuna in the same location on the find. Each time we repeated this (she locates a find, starts to eat the tuna at the find, I praise and offer more tuna via the find) she was quicker to locate the next find.

Something that I found super interesting was that while she didn’t appear to be using her nose to locate the finds (I think she used sight), she would sometimes leave a tiny bit of tuna that would tumble down the side (I was using plastic bowls, turned upside down. TuxeDog has a traditional doggy snout, and I usually use a plastic bowl right side up with him but I was afraid a similar setup would irritate TortieCat’s whiskers and thought she might respond better to a more flat presentation.) Anyhow, she would sometimes miss or knock down some of the tuna. Then, when she would circle back to find that knocked down/off bit of tuna, it was very clear that she was using her nose/scent to locate the little bits of tuna that she had missed.

When MrLoverMan re-entered the room, TortieCat darted for the door and exited the room. At that point, we were about 20 minutes in and she had located 4 of the 6 finds. [4/6 finds. ~20 minutes.]

Toddlers & Time Constraints.
Just prior to MrLoverMan's and my departure, we observed the two toddlers chasing TortieCat back and forth. While we were planning for a more slow and steady introduction period, the stress of toddlers may be greater than the stress of sharing a new home with TuxeDog. We may be looking at moving TortieCat in sooner rather than later and just keeping her separated from TuxeDog whenever they aren't actively involved in training. This will require some thinking due to (1) 500 sqft 1 bedroom 1 bath apartment and (2) my bedroom has the best white noise, which is important for sound sensitive TuxeDog. We'll figure it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caesg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The following are thoughts on "Capturing" and "Shaping," both of which are mentioned in the Jul 28 log. I then wander off into "Luring" and "Targeting". I'm hoping to clarify my thoughts in writing so that the next time that I have an appointment with the trainer I can use our time efficiently and have questions at hand. So, the following are ruminations, not explanations. Insights and questions from others are welcome!

---

Listening to Animal Training Academy Podcast today, the interviewee Linda Ryan, refers to both "capturing" and "shaping" at 47:58.

The following are my current best approximations of "capturing", "shaping", "free shaping", and "(structured?) shaping":

Capturing
So, I think that "capturing" refers to the moment that the animal moves into a given position and I mark and treat that position.

Shaping
"Shaping" then refers to the communicative process of me continuing to mark and treat that position so that the animal begins to understand "this is a desired position."

Within shaping there's "Free Shaping" vs "(Structured?) Shaping." Given previous conversation with Awesome Trainer, it appears that the animal training community hasn't really settled on distinct and agreed upon terms for the two different kinds of shaping.

For the purposes of communicating with Awesome Trainer:

Free Shaping
"Free Shaping" refers to shaping where the animal freely presents a behavior which I then choose to work with. This is the type of shaping that I work with TuxeDog with the wicker basket for mental stimulation and that MrLoverMan works with TortieCat with the cardboard box for mental stimulation. The goals are to encourage creativity and thinking on the part of the pet. There's also an element of free will because once the pet has performed the marked behavior 5 times in a row, the criteria is raised. When the criteria is raised, I wait for the pet to exhibit a new behavior and mark that new behavior. I'm not trying to shape the pet into any specific behavior. I'm just marking whatever new behavior the pet presents to me. I imagine this may be somehow related to what I've heard about dolphin trainers doing when they give a command to the dolphin meaning "create a new trick and perform that." There's a distinct element of encouraging creativity.

(Structured?) Shaping
(Structured?) Shaping is what I was doing with TortieCat on Jul 28. I presented with a specific behavior in mind, "TortieCat will stand, sit, or lay calmly in the crate with the doors closed." We lured TortieCat into the desired position, and then marked and treated when she reached the desired positions. While we're not forcing the cat, there is a lesser element of free will and creativity because I have a specific goal in mind that I am working her toward. Importantly, the distinction between the two types of shaping is descriptive, not judgemental/one being "better" than the other.

Luring
Is luring specific to when I am using food to draw the animal into a specific position? As opposed to when I have trained the pet to target to my hand or an object (say a circle or toy on the end of a stick) and the food has been entirely faded out? Or is targeting a type of luring? Or, perhaps, targeting can be used to lure an animal into a desired position?

Targeting
When the animal knows to touch a particular part of their body to a particular object? For example, I've trained TortieCat to touch her nose to my fingers when I hold my hand in a cupped position and say, "TortieCat! Come!" Or, I've trained TuxeDog to touch his nose to my hand when I say "Touch!" or the end of a stick with a piece of cardboard stuck on the end when I say "Target!" I imagine that you could similarly train an animal to say... touch their left hind leg to [... continue later. I'm setting time limits to how long I can spend on writing these logs and commentaries up each day and have reached my time limit for this specific commentary. Note to self: video of fish working on target differentiation.]

caesg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Training Log
29 July 2018

Cuddles & Scritches ~5 minutes

Crate Training
Today was both more and less effective. I didn't get the doors nearly as closed. However, she was much more free about walking in and out of the cage. I find myself wishing that I had her trained in a few more basic commands like "stay" and "kennel up." I brought a baby spoon which helped with feeding her between the wires of the crate and drawing her further into the crate. It was still really messy, though. I'm going to try wetting the wet food further and seeing if it will pass through a squeezy tube so that I can feed her that way. If it works, that will also address the problem of where I offering food faster than she's eating it. (When there's too much food she can just exit the crate, and then re"enter" by just putting her head in to eat the food with her body outside the crate.)

Nose Work
She located 3/6 caches in about 20 minutes. Since no one was home today, we were able to have MrLoverMan remove the cats from the field while I set it up. It was interesting to watch TortieCat circle one of the caches multiple times before eating. She appeared to be using her nose and sniffing the air more, this time. We spilled the tuna in the kitchen, which threw things off a bit, so that she kept wanting to work the kitchen instead of the living room. Eventually, we closed off the kitchen with a baby gate.

We quit at 3/6 because the resident kitten was extremely interested. So, we cut nosework short and moved on to Crate Training at that point, which could be carried out in a different room.

General Play
Played with a long rope. She never pounced on it, but she hunkered down in a tunnel to watch it for probably about 5 minutes. ^_^ I continued with the rope for a couple minutes more after she left the tunnel but she wasn't paying the rope any mind so we left off with that.

Other
She still seemed to startle a little more easily than usual; and, she was much more calm than she was yesterday with the toddlers around!

caesg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Training Log Aug 28, 2018

Today, we played a very brief game of free-shaping with a basket. When she looked at the basket, I clicked and treated. I really want to get some easier to deliver treats. Right now I'm trying wet food in a squeezy tube and it's not working as well as I'd like. `sigh`