Tortie Or Calico

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do her back and side look like? I'd say calico based on her face and front view, but if her body is more tortoiseshell, I guess she could be a tortico.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Titiminets

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
  • Her back is like a tortie and her belly more like a calico. Let me find some more pics

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I am not an expert and will leave this to the more knowledgeable members on the forum. However, her back reminds me of the kitty in my avatar who had the tortie coloring. Regardless, Dora is absolutely beautiful! :heartshape:

Titiminets

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww thank you. A friend of mine found her next to a dumpster on Oct 25, 2016. She was only 25 days old, had an upper respiratory infection and weighed only 5 oz. I bottle fed her for 10 days. The vet had said she was not going to make it. Ha. Dora was a true Explorer and she had an incredible will to live. She is so sweet and wild. Lol

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A calico is a white cat with large patches of black and red. A torti has red and black mixed together, sometimes with white, sometimes not.

Calico:

Tortie:

Titiminets

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMG_20180228_183710.jpg
here is her belly. Sorry not a great picture

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’d describe your pretty kitty as a tortie and white. :)

Titiminets

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not certain but I believe this means a calico in The UK

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just googled it and it said a calico has some white but a tortie doesnt so that makes Dora a calico. She's beautiful whatever.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just googled it and it said a calico has some white but a tortie doesnt so that makes Dora a calico. She's beautiful whatever.
A Calico has significant amount of white. It is a white cat with patches of the color. A tortie CAN have a little bit of white but is mostly colored.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A Calico has significant amount of white. It is a white cat with patches of the color. A tortie CAN have a little bit of white but is mostly colored.
Not necessarily. I've seen calicos with not a lot of white. Well, I suppose it depends how you define the terms. But to me, a calico has large, well-defined patches of color, a tortie is more brindled. No matter how much white she has.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not necessarily. I've seen calicos with not a lot of white. Well, I suppose it depends how you define the terms. But to me, a calico has large, well-defined patches of color, a tortie is more brindled. No matter how much white she has.
I don't disagree with your statement. I guess I look at them as a whole, white doesn't make one or the other and neither does the pattern, theres exceptions. I think I always hear so many people focused on the white absolutely defining which one it is so I was more focused on that in my description. I mean, you can see a difference in the pictures I posted above right? Those focus more on the white, bc the one poster said something along the lines of "there is white so that makes it a calico" and I think there is more to it then that.

Because then you have this:

I wouldn't call that a Calico myself just because of the little bits of white, but it isn't QUITE a torti either. I have heard TORBIE but is that a legit color or a made up description lol. Sorry to ramble. Ultimately it doesn't matter much I just find it interesting :) I tried looking up what the CFA says on the matter and I couldn't find anything. I am curious though.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I stand corrected. Never believe everything you read, especially on the internet. I have a torbie....or do I?

20170730_184648.jpg

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Torbie means tortie/tabby so the cat in that pic qualifies :D.

No, I don't think the CFA or TICA clarify matters. To them all tri-colored cats are "tortie and white" regardless of pattern. I suppose that makes it easier for shows but most people say calico, just what they mean by that might vary, lol.