Torn Nail?

jade14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We went away over Christmas for a couple weeks and had a coworker stop in to feed and take care of my cat. I trimmed his nails about 2 weeks ago and noticed one seemed like it had torn a bit. He didn't seemed bothered by it so I trimmed the tip and just kept an eye on it. I kinda forgot about it because he doesn't bother with it but I was trimming them today and it looked the same if not sticking further out. I will of course bring him to the vet but I am wondering if anyone has experienced this and maybe it is growing out and will fall off? I hate to bring him in if not needed not because of the money but because he finds it so traumatic. I can touch it and he doesn't seem bothered at all but I am worried it might snag on something. (Sorry for the bad pic quality it is difficult to try and hold him and also take a picture)

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I think as long as you're able to keep it trimmed, that should help somewhat to avoid it snagging on something, at least until you're able to take him in for his regular check-up, or maybe a home vet visit is an option then? :)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
looked the same if not sticking further out
Are you saying it has split/broken off even more than before? If so, it might continue to split/break off until it truly does become a problem.

Will your vet accept pics? If they will, you could send a pic and if it is actually continuing to break off/split, let them know that too.

Have you ever tried calming products, such as Back Rescue Remedy (drops you rub into the cat's ear), for when you need to take him to the vet? There are a myriad of such products on the market, some work on some cats, some don't.
If you have a good relationship with your vet you could ask if they would prescribe a dose of Gabapentin for you to pick up in advance of the vet visit. It is a small sedative to help out with trips to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jade14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It maybe looks like it sticks out a bit more than before, not much but just a bit. I have some feliway that I spray his carrier with and he loves his carrier. He is super friendly with the staff he just cries in his carrier and it makes me feel so bad and then he hides when we get home. I will send my vet the picture though. Worried it might need to be taken off..

jade14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took him in today. They clipped it back a bit and a bunch of it just flaked away so the quick was mainly what was left. They said it looked red and swollen so they cleaned it and gave him antibiotics and pain meds/anti inflammatories for a few days. He was such a good boy! Oh and he needs to lose 1 lb apparently

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good for you, and him!

Do you feed wet food? If not, you could start adding canned or pouch food and cut back a bit on the dry. Often that is enough to bring about a very gentle slow weight loss, you don't want to go fast :)

jade14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good for you, and him!

Do you feed wet food? If not, you could start adding canned or pouch food and cut back a bit on the dry. Often that is enough to bring about a very gentle slow weight loss, you don't want to go fast :)
I do feed mainly wet and a teeny snack of dry before bed. I don't even think he looks fat! He weighs 11.7 lbs, which is the exact same he weighed when he was just over a year old and he went in for adult vaccines & he will be 4 in April. I am pretty strict with his portions and calculate the calories to try and keep him from over eating, he does get some treats now and then though. She said he should be 10.5 lbs.