Topical? Oral? Natural? Which Flea Prevention Works Best?

=^.^=crazycatlady=^.^=

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all!
Topical, oral, natural for flea prevention and what brand? I refuse to do flea collar due to having an infant child at home. For topical i usually let it dry before my little one is able to touch the fur kids. There are so many different type of brands now. I usually do Adavantage II. I ideally would like to do a natural remedy/ies if anyone knows and obvious pet and child safe.
Let me know :)

Thanks

tobilei

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Some people swear by diametaceous (sp?) earth for fleas, however I've read mixed reports on how safe it is.

I was using Comfortis and loved it for the last 8 months (I have a flea allergic kitty) but sadly it started to make my boy unwell.

Prior to that I used advantage II successfully but my boy also became intolerant to it so now I'm using Revolution. Revolution is good in that it doesn't stay wet for long but I can't say how effective it is yet.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DE isn't a good flea "prevention" for use on a cat. In order for it to work, a flea gets on a "dusted" cat, crawls around in the DE, gets it under the wings/in the fleas crevices, where it starts acting like sandpaper and eventually wears through the fleas outer shell, and they dry up and die.
The main thing to take from that is.....eventually.
I use Advecta due to ingredients same as Advantage, but considerably cheaper. But, it's not natural. I can't think of anything natural that will control fleas as quick as a chemical.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

=^.^=crazycatlady=^.^=

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ill definitely look into advecta. I have multiple kitties so it gets expensive but i do what is best for my fur kids and baby at home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

=^.^=crazycatlady=^.^=

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some people swear by diametaceous (sp?) earth for fleas, however I've read mixed reports on how safe it is.

I was using Comfortis and loved it for the last 8 months (I have a flea allergic kitty) but sadly it started to make my boy unwell.

Prior to that I used advantage II successfully but my boy also became intolerant to it so now I'm using Revolution. Revolution is good in that it doesn't stay wet for long but I can't say how effective it is yet.
I thought about getting comfortis, ill have to check that out too.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Revolution for cats because its flea and heartworm all in one.

Oral stuff kinda freaks me out. I don't know about making my animal eat something that will change his body in a way that will kill fleas. Idk...and cats are so picky with food.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my dogs Brewers Yeast in their food once a week. It won't kill them, but it does keep them off so they won't bring them in.
I fed it to my horses for fly control and it worked wonders. I don't give my cats flea control since they are indoors only and it would be the dogs that bring any in.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about getting comfortis, ill have to check that out too.
Vet gave me some comfortis once. I just couldn't make mysel
I like Revolution for cats because its flea and heartworm all in one.

Oral stuff kinda freaks me out. I don't know about making my animal eat something that will change his body in a way that will kill fleas. Idk...and cats are so picky with food.
I tend to agree with that. With an exception.
If the cat is infested. It's immediate help. (that's the point where the fleas/ticks are more dangerous than the oral stuff IMO).
There's always bathing though. But, I have bathed a cat in 5 gallons of water mixed with flea dip, shampoo with dawn, followed by shampoo with flea shampoo. The water looked like cranberry juice when he was done.
HUNDREDS of dead fleas.
Two days later....same bath....clear water and hundreds more dead fleas floating.

One pill might have been better. Faster and more assurance.

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Vet gave me some comfortis once. I just couldn't make mysel

I tend to agree with that. With an exception.
If the cat is infested. It's immediate help. (that's the point where the fleas/ticks are more dangerous than the oral stuff IMO).
There's always bathing though. But, I have bathed a cat in 5 gallons of water mixed with flea dip, shampoo with dawn, followed by shampoo with flea shampoo. The water looked like cranberry juice when he was done.
HUNDREDS of dead fleas.
Two days later....same bath....clear water and hundreds more dead fleas floating.

One pill might have been better. Faster and more assurance.
I guess for a situation like that maybe, but I give all my pets that go outside monthly flea prevention. I wouldnt want to give them something orally monthly. But if it was just once that wouldnt be as bad.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep. A monthly oral stuff I wouldn't want to do that.
There's a vid on youtube. Little white neglected kitty that they gave an oral pill for fleas. To kill them all and be out of cats system in 24hrs.
Cat was on a white sheet, on a bed, being videoed.
It's CRAZY!!!

aradasky

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here in So Cal and in other places like Florida and other southern cities, we do not get cold enough to get rid of fleas from yard. So it is a year round battle. My cats do not go out, however, there are fleas in the yard and anytime I or anyone in family goes out, we bring them in and they find thier favorite hosts. My cats have fleas. All the cheaper stuff has stopped working here so I started on Cheristin. Expensive but it works. I HATE it though, it leaves a big, oily spot and has a petroleum smell. I just got a prescription for Revolution topical and it is on sale now at PetMeds.com. Get hold of vet, ask if it is okay to refer PetMeds to them, order online, referring to vet, they call vet and get okay and then send. Not difficult at all.
I have a friend who uses Comfortis and likes it as well.