Topical Apple Cider Vinegar to prevent UTI's

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two older kitties (females, 14 years old) have had frequent UTI's lately. We tried D Mannose, it's not helpful for my cats, as, it gives one of my cats diarrhea. My vet (who is not really a home/natural remedy kind of vet) recently recommended wiping the cats bottoms each day to try to keep away germs and ward off UTI's. I did research to try to figure out the best, most effective and safest thing to use to do daily wipings (there is not a lot of info out there). For the last couple of weeks, I've simply been using warm water. But, I was hoping to find something more antimicrobial, but, still safe and non-irritating. I found this rinse recipe from a holistic veterinarian which is a mixture of green tea, a small amount of lemon juice, and, apple cider vinegar. I thought an easier, but, hopefully still effective adaptation of this might be just mixing purified water and ACV together. I have read that a half water/half ACV mixture may be used to spray on kitties to ward off fleas. I am wondering if I could use a half water/half ACV mixture to wipe them once a day. ACV is supposed to be potent at killing e coli. So, if this mixture is effective and gentle enough, it might be very helpful to keep away UTI's.

UTI preventative rinse

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't use it because I'm not sure the side effects of lemon or apple cider vinegar. What about wiping with colloidal silver?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't use it because I'm not sure the side effects of lemon or apple cider vinegar. What about wiping with colloidal silver?

No, I don't plan on using the lemon juice as I Googled it, and it seems to be possibly toxic for cats. ACV seems to be okay, but, I have not read anything directly addressing applying it to their genital/anal area. I'm sort of hesitant to use colloidal silver. I have no personal experience with it. I'm also wondering if wiping the area with coconut oil might be okay as it is also antimicrobial and seems to not be an issue for cats, topically. I use it every day to clean the pinna of my cats' ears as they are on transdermal methimazole.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Urinary tract infections are not common in cats. What are your cats symptoms? Have they been spayed?

I would not be spraying, or wiping them with anything.

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Urinary tract infections are not common in cats. What are your cats symptoms? Have they been spayed?

I would not be spraying, or wiping them with anything.
Yes, they have been spayed. They have no current symptoms, but, they both just finished a course of antibiotics and were clear of infection at their recheck. I am looking to head off future infections as one of my cats was diagnosed with a UTI 3 vet appointments in a row (they go to the vet every 6-9 months for regular blood tests/monitoring due to taking methimazole).

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would think a good prevention would be feeding a canned diet, if you aren’t already, and encouraging water intake with multiple water sources and a fountain.

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would think a good prevention would be feeding a canned diet, if you aren’t already, and encouraging water intake with multiple water sources and a fountain.
Yes, I switched the kitties over to wet food a few years ago(a mixture of Fresh Pet Tender Bites and Merrick Backcountry morsels in gravy) . They seem to do a decent job of drinking. So, it seems like I'm doing the things to prevent UTI's, yet, they still keep being diagnosed with them for the last 3 doctor visits. 🤔

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The urine culture is a good idea to see what bacteria is involved, and so the proper antibiotics are given. Sometimes an antibiotic can help, but doesn't actually eradicate the infection, so it essentially gets better for a bit, just to get worse again.

I am sorry that the D-mannose didn't seem to work and caused diarrhea with one of your cats. There could be an adaptation period whereby the diarrhea may have eventually dissipated. Or starting out with a smaller dose and increasing gradually over time.

I also don't know what type of D-Mannose you used, so perhaps this one would be more effective? It prevented my cat from getting UTIs for a number of years after she was getting them repeatedly. Just 1/4 tsp daily, added to a canned food meal worked for her.
UTI Pets Pure D-Mannose Powder | WellnessPartners.com™

As far as wipes, you could try chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then apply some with a soft cloth. Chamomile tea is a soothing and healing agent, but more importantly in your case has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your cat to ingest if that should happen.

Last edited:

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't like the idea of anything acidic near any genitals TBH. Colloidal silver is good and safe, but might need to get to the root cause of the UTIs. Litter change? Water fountain to increase hydration?

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have they actually cultured the urine to see what the bacteria is?
No culture was done this time, just a urinalysis. The last time my calico, Clytie, had a UTI in July, a culture was done as she had a course of doxycycline which did not take care of the UTI, so, a culture was done and e-coli was found, then amoxycillin was prescribed, which took care of the UTI.

Here are the results of the most recent urinalysis in March, for which both of my cats, Clytie and Vestal, received a course of amoxicillin which they finished about a week ago. The doctor prescribed it because he thought it the UTI's were most likely caused by e coli, because that is a microbe which commonly causes UTI's, and amoxicillin is usually effective against e-coli. (which, was rough and made both of them eat and drink less):

Attachments

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The urine culture is a good idea to see what bacteria is involved, and so the proper antibiotics are given. Sometimes an antibiotic can help, but doesn't actually eradicate the infection, so it essentially gets better for a bit, just to get worse again.

I am sorry that the D-mannose didn't seem to work and caused diarrhea with one of your cats. There could be an adaptation period whereby the diarrhea may have eventually dissipated. Or starting out with a smaller dose and increasing gradually over time.

I also don't know what type of D-Mannose you used, so perhaps this one would be more effective? It prevented my cat from getting UTIs for a number of years after she was getting them repeatedly. Just 1/4 tsp daily, added to a canned food meal worked for her.
UTI Pets Pure D-Mannose Powder | WellnessPartners.com™

As far as wipes, you could try chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then apply some with a soft cloth. Chamomile tea is a soothing and healing agent, but more importantly in your case has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for your cat to ingest if that should happen.
Thank you for the advice and input. I will try to re-introduce the D Mannose again, in very small increments and try to build up. The D mannose which I bought is the brand which you have suggested, Wellness Partners.

You are right, if I do start using anything other than warm water for daily wiping, I would want something with anti-microbial properties, but, also something that would not be harsh on their skin. I had no idea that chamomile has anti-microbial properties. If I do make the tea, how long could I keep the tea for, in the fridge? Would I need to brew it daily, or, could I keep it in the fridge for a few days? They did not seem to have had any discomfort when they were diagnosed with the most recent UTI. I had not noticed any symptoms with them. But I remember that you once posted that when your cats have had UTI's they often have not had symptoms when they tested and were diagnosed. For the last few months, I've used a dried cranberry powder mixed into their food to try to ward off UTI's, but, apparently that was not truly effective I hope that I can reintroduce the D mannose and build up to enough that it will keep away UTI issues and not cause tummy troubles. This is very stressful and frustrating, trying to find something that is safe and works for my cats, and, which they can tolerate. :(

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would tend to use one bag a day and probably not try to refrigerate it, just cover in between uses. The nice thing is that a box of them isn't terribly expensive.

I hope getting your one cat used to the pure D-Mannose will work, But, as you know, some things just don't agree with some cats.

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. So, first off, I am not a vet and hold no license in anything. Take what I say as just my opinion.

The following is an in depth article for veterinarians.

How was the sample collected?

One thing I notice is that the specific gravity is very low. Has the vet discussed this with you?

The article above goes into anti microbial use for urinary tract infections.

I would personally get an abdominal ultrasound done with a board certified internal medicine vet and make sure the kidneys are ok. The urine should not be that dilute.

I wouldn’t be putting anything on them or wiping them with anything. You could have the fur shaved if they are long haired.

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. So, first off, I am not a vet and hold no license in anything. Take what I say as just my opinion.

The following is an in depth article for veterinarians.

[/URL][/URL][/URL][/URL]

How was the sample collected?

One thing I notice is that the specific gravity is very low. Has the vet discussed this with you?

The article above goes into anti microbial use for urinary tract infections.

I would personally get an abdominal ultrasound done with a board certified internal medicine vet and make sure the kidneys are ok. The urine should not be that dilute.

I wouldn’t be putting anything on them or wiping them with anything. You could have the fur shaved if they are long haired.
Yes, the diluteness of the urine has been noted and discussed with our vet. He is a cat only vet, the whole practice is. So, I feel that they have a good eye toward looking out for kidney disease, especially because my girls have hyperthyroid and untreated hyperthyroid can sometimes mask kidney disease, from what I understand.

One of my cats has medium length hair, the other is short hair. I will see about getting my medium hair trimmed in that area.

Last edited:

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would tend to use one bag a day and probably not try to refrigerate it, just cover in between uses. The nice thing is that a box of them isn't terribly expensive.

I hope getting your one cat used to the pure D-Mannose will work, But, as you know, some things just don't agree with some cats.
Thank you, so much, for this advice! :(

Nicole S

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am very glad you are at a cat only vet.
The hyperthyroidism definitely masks kidney disease. If you haven’t already be sure to check blood pressure.
Yes, they get their blood pressure checked at each follow up appointment. Their blood pressure has been good, despite that we have to travel from our small-town IL area to a Chicago suburb about 2 hours away for appointments. Despite the long car ride and nervousness which kitties naturally have with going to the vet, their blood pressure has been good. Thank you for your thoughts. :)