toothache making cat grumpy?

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
MybFelix has seemed exceptionally grumpy lately. I know last time I took her to the vet, they said her teeth were in serious need of a cleaning.my mom is one of those people who likes to keep her pets'problems in the dark so it doesnt upset her. She had her for 4 years when I lived at home. When I moved for college last summer, Felix went into a severe depression for a couple months and I ended up picking her up to live with me. Because of that time at my mother's, Ive been cleaning up a lot. Take her to the vet, switched her to a high end food (she eats much better than I do), and spoil her to death. They said her teeth may be causing her some pain, so could this be a source of her grumpiness?

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes, if she is in pain she will be grumpy. Think of how you feel with a toothache. A cat doesn't understand what is going on, like you do, so her outlook on life is pretty poor. Take her to the vet and have her teeth done. I know after Silly had her two teeth that were bothering her out, she started frolicing like a kitten again. She is 13 and has had an eye removed due to herpes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, if she is in pain she will be grumpy. Think of how you feel with a toothache. A cat doesn't understand what is going on, like you do, so her outlook on life is pretty poor. Take her to the vet and have her teeth done. I know after Silly had her two teeth that were bothering her out, she started frolicing like a kitten again. She is 13 and has had an eye removed due to herpes.
Set up an appointment last week for her to go in thursday for the check up :). Unfortunately, from the last checkup, they think she may have a heart murmur so we were going to figure something out :(. My poor baby is a hot mess.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Set up an appointment last week for her to go in thursday for the check up
. Unfortunately, from the last checkup, they think she may have a heart murmur so we were going to figure something out
. My poor baby is a hot mess.
Poor Felix, she really has been through a lot lately. First a new home, then a new kitten, and now her poor teeth.
I am glad your taking her in. Dental health is SOOOOO important and often over looked in our babies. Since your vet is aware of her possible murmur, I am sure he/she knows what precautions are needed to be taken if she needs anesthesia. There is always a way.
My boy Jack has a grade 3 murmur and came through his neutering fine. Hope all goes well for her. Sending her
Keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sammyrae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor Felix, she really has been through a lot lately. First a new home, then a new kitten, and now her poor teeth.:hugs: I am glad your taking her in. Dental health is SOOOOO important and often over looked in our babies. Since your vet is aware of her possible murmur, I am sure he/she knows what precautions are needed to be taken if she needs anesthesia. There is always a way. :) My boy Jack has a grade 3 murmur and came through his neutering fine. Hope all goes well for her. Sending her :vibes: :vibes: Keep us posted.
I know :(. It makes me so sad. Im a broke college student but I do anything for my girls :). It's been so expensive playing catch up but so worth it. I couldnt stand being without my babies (all 3 of them). Her little sissy annoys her sometimes but I think she secretly enjoys it ;). In fact, sissy Maya was grooming her today and they walked off to bed with non spats! I was so proud. I'm hoping helping with her teeth will help hers and Mayas relationship. Unfortunately felix isnt a wrestler, more a gentle player so it makes playtime rough but maybe things will pick up after a good cleaning.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 but maybe things will pick up after a good cleaning.
I believe that too. Pain can really affect ANY ones mood, cats included, and can definitely affect how much activity they can tolerate. Think about it, when your in pain, even a simple headache, how much do you want to do? As catpaw told you, his girl became almost kittenish again once she felt better. I think you'll see a huge improvement in Felix once everything is resolved.