Tooth Extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocky234567

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So just iver twonweeks ago my cat stopped eating was found to be exposed nerves in the teeth and 4 teeth ended up being removed, same day we got him back from the vet he was eating and eating and eating! My parents went on holiday that samenday so its been just me full time job trying my best to keep this new found hunger satisfied and boy did he go through food! Rocky was back. 7 days later he started to go back to how he was pre-surgery hardly eating if he did eat he only ate dry food (weird considering hes still healing) couple days later hes not eating much hes sleeping constantly hes moving slow and doesnt venture far. Took him to the vet he just said its because the drugs have worn off and now hes just feeling sensitive and needs more time to heal. Two days later and he wont touchbwet or dry food. Takes me 10 mins of coaxing him with foods to get him in from the garden just for him to turn his nose up.

I boiled up some chicken ( he loves boiled chicken) and hooray he ate half a thigh and maybe a mouthful of tuna, but thats it in 24 hours. Unsure what else to do. Is the vet correct in saying hes just recovering? He took his temperature and they did blood tests before.

Patiently waiting for my parents to return tomorrow as my mum always manages to get things sorted. Its a struggle for me in a full time job where im not in the house for 13 hours of the day. Hes stayed in today as its raining and to be hinest im hoping he does a number 2 somewhere just ao i can confirm everythings working fine on that end!

Any advice? Thanks sorry for the long post just wanted to make it detailed

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's good news that he ate chicken and tuna! Give him more until tomorrow your mother comes back.

I don't know well about surgery but my Hima has dental issues so it's on-and-off sensitive in her mouth. (I imagine it might be sensitive after an operation too.) She doesn't like wet food with pieces in it. She does love mousse-like texture wet foods like Purina Gourmet Gold or Naturea chicken. Better if you can get prescription mousse-like wet food for recovery after operations like this as they are extra nutritious.

You can later introduce dry food after dampening the bits but this option doesn't work well with every cat. Chances would increase if you dampen it with the water you boil the chicken with.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For the short term, since he DID eat, keep on keeping on...you have this under some control. Tell your mom what is going on, and ask her to take him for a check, just in case there's an issue with his incisions in his mouth, but I think that's he'll be fine so long as you can keep him eating. DO try the mousse-style foods for him until he is completely healed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rocky234567

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Soo i got home from work he was in the exact same place i left him ( under the stairs) wouldnt come out and wouldnt est hes refusing all food, had to go out again and I've now come back with catmilk he had about 5-6 licks of that, i bought a pate food as i only went to a little co-op and couldnt see the mousse one . He refused it so i wiped some on his nose so he would lick it off but after a couple of times doing it he started to get stressed so i stopped. Currently boiling up some more chicken so hopefully he eats that. Im really starting to feel his bones now. My mums back this morning and I've told her he needs to go vet soon as possible in the morning. Never been so stressed and worried in my life!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Poor boy! I know how worried you must be. You can feed him by taking the pate cat food, mixing it with water into a loose slurry, drawing it up in a syringe or medicine dropper, and inserting it into his mouth between his cheek and gum, a tiny bit at a time, letting him swallow between bites.

Rocky234567

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hes been to the vet and they've kept him in. The previous vet didnt check his thyroid, He now has fluid in his lungs and shes also noted something is happening in his stomach. There going to drain the fluid from his lungs and give him fluids for hydration. Then when hes calmed down, look to see whats happening in his stomach. The vet did however say, considering his age being 15 it could be bad news. Im prepared for the worse now but hoping for the best!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry and I hope everything gets better. Also let me say you have handled this really well and been doing your best. He was lucky to have you there. I hope he feels better soon

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Make him a meat stock. Simmer a couple of chicken legs in water until the meat falls off the bone (several hours but well short of bone broth cooking times.) Separate the meat from the bones and discard the bones. Strain the liquid from the meat and save the liquid. This is the meat stock. Let it cool before saving about a week's worth (a pint?) in the fridge and freeze the rest. Give him as much meat stock as he wants to eat. If he likes it as much as my Krista likes it, you should be able to mix the stock into food to get him eating food again. If he doesn't want to eat cat food yet, you can feed him some of the meat with the stock to keep him eating. My Krista is 15 as well with multiple issues. I feel like the stock is finally healing her IBD and also giving her arthritis relief (as it should since it's packed full of gelatin, glucosamine, and chondroitin without the other ingredients in glucosamine-chondroitin supplements that soup her poops.)

Here's more information on meat stock and bone broth. A meat stock or a meat broth is started the same way as bone broth but the cooking time is well short of the time it takes to dissolve the bones. If you're following along in this article, the meat stock is what you get if you stop at round 1. It is more gentle than a bone broth for sick and sensitive individuals. You could reserve some of the liquid from round 1 as your meat stock and then let the rest ride on to bone broth if you wanted to try both.

Bone Broth Is Excellent Nourishment for Older Pets

Rocky234567

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So my little Rocky has been put to sleep and is now chasing all the mice he could wish for! It turnt out there was fluid in his lungs and i think she said heart aswell and given his age, how old he is, weak he is and the fact he gets stressed which affects his kidneys they gave us there opinion to put him to sleep. Hes been buried in his favourite spot in the garden with his favourite toys. Cant help but think that this was a complication from the anesthesia he was given during his teeth removal. He wasnt a loud cat and loved the outdoors but the home just feels quiet and empty without him RIP Rocky

Attachments

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cant help but think that this was a complication from the anesthesia he was given during his teeth removal
I wrote this today on another thread that my cat is supposed to stay away from all kinds of medical stress. The vets don’t even want to vaccinate her yet they recommended dental operation and hers isn’t so worse she stopped eating like your beautiful Rocky did. They said dental pain is a constant stress (and can get too painful which I can relate to as someone who had several dental abscesses in the past. You absolutely did the right and the only treatment chance by getting dental work done. I hope you know that.

All the best wishes to you. Rocky will live on in your memories forever <3

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so very, very sorry for the loss of your beloved cat.

Rest you gentle, Sweet Friend, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
On behalf of the site Team, we are so very sorry for your loss. :hugs: Threads are locked after such a loss as a sign of respect. Please consider starting a tribute thread in a Crossing the Bridge forum when you are up to it.

Rest in Peace, Rocky.:rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.