Tool For Catching Kittens/tnr?

whatthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

A while ago I was trying to trap a litter of feral kittens and when looking into how to catch them all at once, the best that I could find online was to rig a humane trap to close when you pull a string, and then wait for the kittens to go inside. I got them, but it took hours of sitting by the trap waiting, and feeling like Wile-E-Coyote. During the waiting time, the idea for OpenTrap came to me. I spent a bit of time and a few iterations to build this to where it's at. I think that it could be a good solution to trap a specific feral or to trap an entire litter of kittens at once.

Basically this is a remote control trap that lets you know when an animal is inside. I have only tested with a couple of different trap brands, but I believe it should be mountable to any trap (might need some small modifications). I would love to get any feedback from the TNR community on whether or not this is worthwhile and what modifications it might need to be a tool to help people who are working to help animals.

If anybody is reading this in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and would like to use it, please message me.

(Maybe this forum has an anti-advertising policy and I want to make it clear that I'm not trying to sell anything here, just to get this project into the hands of anybody that it can help)

Cheers,

Roger

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi W whatthecat . Good idea.
How many small purple spotted kitties have you caught?? :)

You would have to be quick to verify the animal and get the door closed. But then I don't do any feral trapping where I am. Hopefully others will be along to give their opinion soon.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Bravo! :clap::clap::clap: The main problem with drop traps is that mother cats sense your presence and won't always follow their kittens to the food. Your invention allows the trapper to keep their distance, so it should be possible to get the whole family at once. That would be a big help.

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need this trap. Please send one to Houston, so I can test it out for you. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whatthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Surya,

I was hoping to get more experience with this thing closer to home before I send it 'out in the wild'. Houston is relatively close and I get down there every couple of months. If your need is urgent that I don't think I could help you out, but I could probably put together a second set of electronics to bring on my next trip to Houston and spend some time explaining all of it's use (the video shows simple operation but there are more features), if that is an option. Feel free to respond here or PM me

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need it now. I am trying to catch two batches of feral kittens and it seems to be impossible. a remote trap would sure help a lot. I didn't really expect you to rush to Houston with it, but it was so nice of you to respond. I expect your invention will be very popular.