Too young?

birdi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We got two kittens at 7 weeks old, we have had them for a week, and both seem to be happy. We get cuddles and purring all the time and we play all the time. Just as I speak we are laying down for an afternoon nap. But the female of the two sucks on things when getting ready to sleep. My pillow, my finger, ect. It doesn't bother me, just worrys me. Should i get some formula or a bottle for her to suck on? Both of them keep us busy and they are very enjoyable. I just wanna make sure they are healthy and okay. Our male shows no interest is sucking on stuff. Just likes to play and have fun. The little girl also seems to be having some tummy troubles. Maybe also cause of the being away from mommy?

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome 

This is usually called smurgling on the forum.  It is nothing to worry about, but is most common in kitties separated from mom too soon, as yours was.  It may be a behavior that will continue throughout her life or she may grow out of it.  It does not indicate  a real need for formula.  You can type smurgling into the search to learn more :)

Is there a reason you took 6 week old kittens? It is too late now, but for future reference that is way too soon to take kitties away from their mom and littermates, though at least your two have each other.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are too young, yes---ideally, kittens should stay with their mother and littermates for 10-12 weeks. So you will likely see some behaviors like that, because they didn't naturally detach from their mother like they would have if they were older. So you'll be her mommy for awhile :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

birdi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No there was no reason besides she was onna send then to a shelter in a week. So we took them. The little boy is having no problems at all. Also her tummy is really upset. I don't know what to do. Her poop smelled almost like nothing then every day it got worse. Now you gotta change it roght after she poops, but the little boy has no problems at all. I was thinking to maybe get her a new born baby sucky so she didn't do it to my pillows anymore or give us hickies. Should i do that or no?

birdi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The girl i got them from is tellin me to give her a bottle full of lactos free milk

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No there was no reason besides she was onna send then to a shelter in a week. So we took them. The little boy is having no problems at all. Also her tummy is really upset. I don't know what to do. Her poop smelled almost like nothing then every day it got worse. Now you gotta change it roght after she poops, but the little boy has no problems at all. I was thinking to maybe get her a new born baby sucky so she didn't do it to my pillows anymore or give us hickies. Should i do that or no?
You can try it but she might just suck what she sucks.  One of mine is a smurgler who never stopped and he will only do it to me or other beloved humans.  Some people think it means they are accepting you as their new mommy.

The poop is a separate issue.  Does it smell bad or is there something else that leads you do think her tummy is upset? Frankly, some kitties just have bad smelling poop.  You can try to adjust diet to fix this, but at the end of the day some of it is just genes I think.  If she has other symptoms though, please let us know.

birdi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay her poop didn't smell when i got her. At all. And her brothers doesn't smell either but we have had her for a week and she stinks!

birdi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also i have no idea where to find kitten replacement milk

birdi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her poop didn't smell at all when we got her and as the week went on it got worse. And now it stinks! And she stinks! Her brother doesn't smell and his poops are find. Hers also look a little different

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Her poop didn't smell at all when we got her and as the week went on it got worse. And now it stinks! And she stinks! Her brother doesn't smell and his poops are find. Hers also look a little different
Honestly, I would suggest going to a vet and bringing a fecal sample if you are concerned.  They actually have Kitten Milk Replacement at my Walmart, so I usually just go there because it's cheapest, but you could also try any pet store probably.

birdi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They have Cat milk but no kitten milk. I do not know if they are the same. I work at walmart so yeah. We are also a very small town with very little choices when it comes to the health care of our animals

birdi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is it okay if i give her cat milk? Or do i need kitten?

birdi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ThankQ guys so much. I have been on many forums but this is the first that has acutally answered any of my questions

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Whiskas Cat Milk isn't meant to be nutritious. Kitten milk is meant for orphan babies who need something like mother's milk--baby formula for kittens. I don't think she needs baby formula, but it would be more nutritious than the Whiskas. You can also use goat milk--I think Walmart usually has canned goat milk, in the baking aisle. Although if you're just doing it so she has something to suck on, the Whiskas might be OK, just make sure she doesn't get so much that it fills her tummy and keeps her from eating enough.

One thing that can help with tummy troubles is probiotics. They sell them for pets, but the kind sold for humans is usually better (and cheaper). I think Walmart might sell a few brands, but I don't know what brands might be available except for Probiotic Pearls (which would be fine if you can figure out how to get one into her). Capsules are easier because you can open the capsule and sprinkle the powder on her food.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kitten is a smurgler too and she wasn't taken away from her mother too soon (we got her at 12 weeks). It is often just a personality trait and does not mean she needs a bottle. Many adult cats do it to it is just how they like to cuddle. Have you noticed cats kneed on their humans that is also something that they do to mom to get milk and some just add sucking to this ritual. My cat is 5 months now and she still does it before bedtime.

I do not think she needs kitten milk but her diet needs to looked at if she has really stinky poo. The best thing for cats is to feed them a grain free wet food( raw food is also good too). If budget is a problem fancy feast classic is a good cheap food to feed. Goats milk is also fine for a treat. I also agree probiotics are a great idea and you could also try plain yogurt ( no sugar or flavoring). Catinfo.org is a great site written by a vet on cat nutrition and you should take a look at it.

birdi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I woke up at 3 a.m. With her attached to me neck. She liked the milk this morning, and she still ate her food plus drank lots of water. Her poop is still deadly....... I will bring it up with my vet when its time for there vet apointment. Also they are on perina ONE kitten fomula. My store has very little options.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I woke up at 3 a.m. With her attached to me neck. She liked the milk this morning, and she still ate her food plus drank lots of water. Her poop is still deadly....... I will bring it up with my vet when its time for there vet apointment. Also they are on perina ONE kitten fomula. My store has very little options.
I am sure they probably have fancy feast classics, you can give it a try.