Too rough when playing

korvia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oliver (orange tabby) is too rough, he will climb out legs bare or not. He bites our ankles,hands and feet. is there a way I can get him to be gentle? He constantly makes his little brother cry when they wrestle. Bear is from another mother and is a few days younger then Oliver. He doesn't hurt Bear 'cause Bear will wrestle back or start it sometimes. Not sure if it makes any difference but Oliver was an only kitten at the place we got him from at about 6 weeks, he is now 8 weeks. was an only kitten for about 2 weeks at our place till we got Bear for him.

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At 6 weeks, Oliver was very young to be removed from momma. He didn't learn proper manners, so he plays too rough because he doesn't know any better. Having a brother will help because Bear is telling him it hurts and is fighting back to show him. So hopefully he will start learning this soon.

As for him being too rough with humans, redirection is your best bet. Every time he is rough, redirect him to a wand toy or other snuggle or kick toy. He thinks hands and feet are toys and needs to be trained that they are not. Cats are very different from dogs and cannot be trained using discipline (http://www.thecatsite.com/a/cats-and-discipline-dont-mix). You can also try saying ow loudly or hissing at him as momma would have done to help him learn that it's not acceptable behavior. You are going to need lots of patience with this little guy and lots of training.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

korvia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll try that, hopefully he'll be somewhat gentle, I don't think my leg can take any more scratches lol.