Too much vitamin A in ziwipeak?

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! i feed my cat a combination of ziwipeak, feline natural and tiki cat after dark series

I was wondering about vitamin A toxicity since all of the above foods, while balanced, have high liver values. I came across this website: Multivitamins and Iron (Toxicity) - Toxicology - Merck Veterinary Manual

where it says "The vitamin A requirement for cats is 10,000 IU/kg of diet fed, with levels up to 100,000 IU/kg of diet considered to be safe."

I briefly checked the guaranteed analysis in ziwipeak and any random wet canned food has ~170k IU/kg ofvitamin A.

Just wondering if anyone has thought about this, or has came across any issues? Asking cause when my cat was fully on ziwipeak and feline natural, he ended up with hypercalcaemia... which has resolved now since cutting down the amount of ziwipeak he eats.

I feel quite bad, cause his breeder did insist i keep him on royal canin but after reading up and seeing the ingreident in royal canin, i thoght switching him to ziwipeak is the right thing to do, but it caused him to have hypercalc. thankfully i could resolve that. now im worried about too much vitamin A.. anyone has any insight?

Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mmin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
also, he has started limping recently. (he's been on food for a good 2+ to 3 years) However because he is a scottish fold, its confounding and i can't say for sure its because of the vitamin A. do give me any advice if you have any! should i try to change his food to something not as "high quality" like ziwipeak etc? something with less organs/liver? i just feel so setback cause all along ive been thinking im doing good for him but to think that i might have caused him health issues with this high quality food..

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As to the limping issues, it is my understanding that Scottish Folds have an inherent issue with that, it's part of why their ears fold. Something to do with bone and cartilage abnormality. This may also be the reason she developed hypercalcemia (just hypothesizing on that) Here is a thread that discusses limping in Scottish Folds: Scottishfold limping. Osteochondrodyplasia?

As to whether or not she might be getting too much Vit A, you can always have that checked via a blood test. That's the best way to find out. But I wouldn't automatically assume that the limping is from that