Too much bone?

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
This may seem like a weird question, but we swit hed our cats to raw food a few months ago and i'm worried the bone content is too high (20%) and i'm starting to see some constipation issues. Is there a way I can reduce it? Could i just add a bit of straight ground meat? If so, how much?

Sorry for all the questions. I went with commercial raw so I wouldn't have to mess around with it...but I can't argue that the three of them are doing much better on raw.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not a weird question at all!

One of my favorite ways to reduce bone content is the addition of egg yolk. Egg yolks are packed with nutrition. Try to add 1 or 2 yolks a week on top of their commercial ground and see if that makes a difference. Start small though, maybe 1/4 yolk for each cat for a few days before you give them a whole yolk to prevent any diarrhea/tummy upset. Free-range eggs are best.

If you prefer to add meat instead of yolks, that is fine too but it will also dilute the organ percentage of their food intake. So I'd suggest adding meat & a tiny bit extra organ (liver) if you're going that route. Make sure the meat you buy is mot enhanced with a sodium solution. Check the package.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks. I'll give it a shot.

Worst case, i shift them back to canned until i can sort out a good raw blend for them. They were simple to switch to raw, just picky about their meat choices. :lol3:

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would be careful adding unsupplemented meat to the commercial raw, since it will throw off the nutrient composition of the food.

If you want to add boneless meat, I would use a supplement pre-mix for whatever portion you are adding.