Tony's Story Giardia/Coccidia and Worms

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello fellow cat lovers. So this is Tony's story. I am a little frustrated but hoping everything is OK. This is long... thank you to anyone that reads.

So Tony was a stray he was coming around for a bit crying at my door before I caved and took him in. I have 4 cats with him and before he came in I had a senior kitty who was sick. Once she passed away I decided I could afford financially and emotional to do it.

So I took him to the vet. He was fixed, treated for fleas and earmites. Pretty severe fleas and mites he had an ear infection bc of the mites and scabs all over his skin from fleas. He tested negative for FIV and Leukemia. I kept him separated from my cat family till I got his fecal results which was he had Giardia.

He was staying in a small area in my basement, he got an infection from his neuter and once I found out he had Giardia I decided it would be better to board him with a Dr. It was hard to take care of him for so long in the basement and he didn't trust me enough to medicate. So he went to a boarding place, got the treatment and came back after 10 days or so.

When he came back he still had diarrhea and I had suspicion he was still sick. I got nervous that he was around my other cats so I took him back to boarding. He got another fecal which he tested negative for Giardia but positive for Coccidia. Again he was treated. He came home early from treatment because the place lost electricity and heat during some bad weather.

So he came home I treated him with the rest of the treatment and was so super careful eveytime he pooped I changed the litter. I was desperate to firm his poop up so I tried pumpkin. I was super excited the next morning when I gave the pumpkin and he had more formed stool....but that quickly changed when I saw it had moving white worms.

So he went back to boarding. He was treated for worms and then got another fecal. I said this time I can't take him back till he was negative for everything....and luckily the last fecal said negative to Giardia and Coccidia and no worms.

So hes home now and seems so happy and I'm happy to have him and its nice watching him get comfy with the rest of the crew after spending so much time in a boarding place.

But he still has soft poop sometimes more soft than others. I don't want to say diarrhea totally but kind of sometimes...but then more formed others. I am traumatized by the poop and litter box and just want normal poo. Is this normal for it to not be firm after all of this? I assume it's bc of all the meds his parasites and stuff his tummy is adjusting. I've tried probiotics and this bio dome food. No luck yet.

The messiness of it sucks in itself but my biggest worry is all of my other cats. Are these fecal test accurate? Does he still have but not showing up? I got all my other cats tested when he was in boarding last to make sure they were all clear and they were. I keep looking at his results to try to ease my OCD mind that it's ok its all negative.

I guess hearing others stories might help me. Anyone with some advice is great. Thanks in advance!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has been through a lot and a stressed cat takes quite a while to return to normal. Make sure he drinks plenty and you might look into some probiotics. No changes in food, and absolutely no cow milk products. (except butter and heavy cream in small amounts) I bet he will straighten up in a few months....

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whenever the cats I was fostering had been treated for any length of time for worms and giardia, I was always told to give them a probiotic (or natural jogurt) to help get their digestive systems back to normal. I was extremely worried about my own cats when I was keeping very sick kittens in a cage in my living room. It turned out the kittens had giardia by which time my own cats had become infected - probably from all the towels I had around the room while trying to bottle feed the kittens and keep them clean.
However, although my four cats were very difficult to medicate, they got over giardia very quickly. Healthy cats have a much better chance of dealing with these parasites than a poor undernourished stray.

Unfortunately giardia can keep recurring, but unless his diarrhea is very smelly, it is more likely to be a reaction to his diet. My solution has always been boiled chicken (with or without pumpkin) but there are certainly more ideas to be found on this site which might be worth trying. Perhaps another visit to a vet?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your experience.

Yes I have him on a probiotic. I did try pumpkin and might try this again that seemed to work it just scares me to use again because the last time I did is when I saw worms.

His poop is smelly. Even when it's more soft serve than diarrhea so yes that concerns me. It's good to know healthy cats will get over pretty easy. I've been watching everyone's poop so far so good and they were all tested about a week ago.

He did have 2 fecal test that said negative for Giardia pretty spaced out. But yes I know it can come back which scares me. Then there's the Coccidia and worms...Its crazy to me these meds don't fully work. Hes been on so much.

Yes I might bring Tony back to the vet or do another fecal at least. He just got back on Saturday and they ran blood and stuff so I think its too soon to go again.

I'll see if some rest and less stress by being in a home helps him. He went from the streets to more time in boarding than in a home. Hes been pretty chill all things considered. His diet hasn't changed too much the last 3 weeks hes been on the same food but his body has been on so many medications.

I'm driving myself insane over it. I was washing and cleaning all all time but I'm so tired now I kind of threw in the towel with that and am just hoping for a good outcome. I do however still scoop right away after pooping. Not sure that does anything but makes me feel like I'm doing something.

Juniper_Junebug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It took my older kitten a good month or more to recover after two rounds of treatment for giardia (the first being unsuccessful). I thought that meant she still must have it, or must have a food sensitivity, but the vet said it was normal for her gut to take a while to get back to normal. Admittedly, I have not retested her, but her stools gradually firmed up (mostly, knock wood) and are now no longer light in color. S. Boulardii seemed to help her a lot, so I've kept her on it. She's an only kitty so I haven't had to worry about transmission to others.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This morning I saw some promising firming up of the poo! Never been more excited for poop. Let's see if it stays consistent. He definitely is feeling more comfortable. I saw him and another one of my cats playing together. They were hiding behind things and then popping out to scare eachother. Made me laugh.

Its helpful to hear the gut takes sometime to heal. I hope that is what is going on. I'll stay consistent with the probiotics for a while and will not be switching up any food. I don't know why I am so paranoid. I think the moving worms really put me over the edge. I feel anxiety everytime I go to the box...and everytime he goes.

I worry about my older cat too hes 19 and I just lost one that was 19. Anyways just airing out my fears. Emotionally Mr Tony was a huge project I wasn't prepared for.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bad news I had his fecal retested and he still has Coccidia.

At this point all my other cats could have. I don't know....they are going to treat him with Albon this time. He originally was treated with Ponazuri.

Hes getting 10 days of it. Then will retest him and my cats. See if everyone needs.

I can't afford to board him again and I don't want to. He's just getting comfortable. When I go to the office he will have to stay in the basement bc I can't get get his poop right away. That sucks for him but that's all I got.

I feel defeated. I guess if all my cats get what can I do at this point. I am already driving myself crazy being a little ocd washing my hands the litter box and my home. I need to stop its getting out of control. Blah bad day

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don't give up! Just keep saying to yourself "this too will pass". I will pray for all of you to fully recover and be happy!
Thank you so much. It was such a bad day yesterday for me. Today not so great either. I didn't sleep well like maybe 2 hours and then this morning I started to clean like a crazy person. Which I have no idea why. Since I thought he was negative all those days like 12 of them I didn't clean as much as I should of and its probably pointless now. I feel like it's a mess and everyone is infected.

The only thing I did super consistently is scoop his poop everytime he went. I changed the litter like every 3 days. Which I'm thankful for that I guess.

I'm trying to gain a mental and emotional handle on this so I can be ok. Like I can't clean my place and live in it like it's an infectious disease facility. I mean I can but I'm already starting to crack emotionally pretty bad. It's a 1 bedroom with 4 cats which I keep clean as it is but so hard with something like this. I don't even have a clothes dryer just a washer.

I have read so much about this Coccidia and people's stories range from pure nightmares to more chill accounts. Some people swearing how difficult it is to rid of the environment and Some saying it's not as big of a deal they just keep the litter area clean. When I ask the vet they don't give details. Like I need some sort of guidance.

I guess I feel lost and not sure what the hell to do.

There has to be a happy medium here that I can feel ok with but not be a total run down emotional mess.

I bought a steamer that arrives on Saturday maybe that will help me. I have no idea. Right now I feel like if the other cats already have what's the point of even treating him. It could be bouncing back and forth....and the worst part is I won't know till a couple weeks when I retest him and all my cats.

Soooooo that's my brain right now. Maybe I should change the title of this to rants of the craziest cat lady ever. Please help

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel so sorry for you. Can you search the internet and see what is advised? You can only clean so much.... Hang in there! I wish someone would come on with better experienced advise!

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok I'm starting to come out of the total dark place. Slowly. I have been cleaning probably more than needed my hands are pretty raw... but each day that passes that he gets the medicine I feel better. Plus none of my other cats have any symptoms of loose stool. My old 19 year old is his normal constipated self. If they do get it...I will be able to nip it in the bud right away. That's what I keep telling myself

Also Tony's poo isn't horrible. It's firmed up to the point where when I scoop it doesn't fall through the grids or mark the scooper. It's a clean scoop. Still watery and not that hard tootsie roll I need but it could be way worse.

I'm still not sleeping great bc I'm keeping one ear open to hear when he goes so I can scoop right away to help the spread. I know his pooing schedule which is kind weird but this is what happens when you loose your mind over a cat and invisible parasite. I plan to keep that up till at least the 10 days of medicine. Probably longer. Also have been changing the water bowel a lot bc I noticed he paws the bowel bwf9re drinking and if he has any on his paws then it's in the water contaminating it. One day at a time let's see how it goes.

I need to throw a party when this is over haha.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well I made it the 10 days of the meds scooping Tony's poop immediately...basically not sleeping much. Cleaning etc.

My other cats seem ok none have diarrhea or any signs. My old 19 year cat still has constipation which hes on miralax for but I feel like that's good right now because I'm hoping they are ok.

Tony's poop is still the same like soft serve ice cream. I am sick of looking at it. Haha. I talked to the place he boarded at and the vet there said we can wait a few days now after the Albon and then try 5 days of the Prozail or whatever the other P medicine one is and then do the rest in 2 ..3 weeks. Going to wait the weekend out and then see where the poops are Monday. But that sounds good to me to try to really knock this out.

I'm so tired but Tony is happy as can me lol.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Here a pic of my parasite worm poop cat. Haha he's so happy I think to have a home. He loves to run around and play with my other cats. His fur is getting nice and soft now before it was more hard and he had so many scabs I think from fleas. Anyways wanted to share a pic.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, he's beautiful! Thank you for the picture, it's nice to know what he looks like. Both of you are lucky to have found each other. It will be worth it, he will be special after so much work!

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am a little frustrated this morning. I waited up for him to poo last night till 1 am. He's been going longer and longer in-between going and I get excited like maybe that means it's firming up. When he finally did go it was still the same like soft serve iceream a bit more watery than usual and I saw a piece of red in one part.

I was so tired I didn't want to dissect it apart but I would have thought after all these days of meds I would of seen some improvement.

Hes on a probiotic and I've been giving pumpkin 2 times a day. Which I ran out of this morning and he didn't get yet. Scared about that.

Anyways just frustrated. I don't know what more I can do hes been on so many meds. I'm getting nervous he will never recover from this.

Tomorrow I'm going to talk to the boarding Dr about that other antibiotic and let him know my frustrations. I know they are going to suggest an ultrasound if it doesn't improve. They already did blood and it was fine.

Blah feeling negative today.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry... Do discuss this with the vet, especially how you are feeling. There has to be something that hasn't been tried yet, you have tried so hard.....

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I did get the S. Boulardii probiotic. Someone mentioned that in one of the post. It came today so I'll try tonight.

His tummy just seems bloated to me. I'm sure it's a mess in there. I can't tell if it's bloat bc he's had consistent meals vs when he's been on the street or just parasite bloat. I am afraid he still has worms too but he was dewormed like 3 times has to be gone.

Anyways yes going to talk to the vet tomorrow. I get the feeling they are annoyed by me. I seem to think things are a bigger deal then them. That's ok it calms me down a bit but I do feel like a crazy person when I talk to them sometimes because I've called so much.

I just need some sleep and relaxation where I don't have to worry about cleaning and poop for a min. My place is small so the litter box is giving me anxiety right now. Feels too close for comfort plus there's still that lingering fear of all my cats having. I'll let you know what happens the next few days.

Thanks for listening helps to get it out. This stuff can feel isolating.

lesliel76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So tonight he's almost back to full blown diarrhea. I couldn't believe it. I am beyond frustrated.

He didn't get his pumpkin this morning which could be why? But how long do you keep a cat on pumpkin?? I also tried that new S.Boulardii tonight. Did that cause this?

I am so tired and I don't know what I'm going to do. If I didn't have other cats this might be easier and not a big deal. Or even a house but a small 1 bedroom in Brooklyn with the contagiousness of this. What are my options even at this point.

I'll see what the vet says tomorrow. I hope someone can help me. I'm just burnt out over this.