Tonsils out????

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The swelling in the uvula should subside in about 4 to 5 days. I'm glad to hear things went well. Now I can relate my experience with my tonsils - I didn't want to upset you. I had a long international flight on a Thursday, was totally whacked out on the following Friday, and didn't notice anything. On Saturday I had a bearable sore throat, which got really bad on Sunday. Monday morning, I couldn't open my mouth, and felt like death warmed over. My tonsils had ruptured, and I had septicemia (blood poisoning). The examination was done through my nostrils, because my jaw was locked. After emergency surgery, I was told that I came very close to dying. The pain following the surgery was mild compared to what I went through on Sunday and Monday.
Applesauce, pudding, yogurt, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, jello, baby food, and mashed potatoes or pumpkin seem to "go down" well.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never had them out, just my adenoids. I guess it's odd to take adenoids but not tonsils....I don't remember much, it was when I was a kid. I just remember a sore throat and lots of popscicles!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dinahcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My doctor told my mother and I to expect the 2nd day after surgery to be worse than the day of and the day after. I can already feel it. I coughed up some mucous today that had a blood clot in it... pretty gross, and after that, my throat felt like crap!! Still taking all the meds religiously, so... we will see how tomorrow goes.. Night for now..

boys mum

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
when a friend of mine had hers out they put her in the kids ward she was 30
but she recoverd quickly.she enjoyed ice-cream,but here in the uk they tell u to eat crisp (potatoe chips) and im 50 and still got mine

get well soon

dinahcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by boys mum

when a friend of mine had hers out they put her in the kids ward she was 30
but she recoverd quickly.she enjoyed ice-cream,but here in the uk they tell u to eat crisp (potatoe chips) and im 50 and still got mine

get well soon
They have you eat WHAT after having your tonsils out??? Why on earth Chips??? That would be absolutely excruciating!!!! OUCH!!!

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DinahCat

They have you eat WHAT after having your tonsils out??? Why on earth Chips??? That would be absolutely excruciating!!!! OUCH!!!
I don't know??? Sometimes when I'm sick and my throat hurts I eat hard food to scratch it!

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ack! Just the though if eating potato chips after having my tonsils out is giving me shivers. The pain would be terrible!

vibiana

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had mine out in 1973, when I was eight. I'd be no help here. LOL

However, I definitely recommend popsicles and jello! lmao

esrgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you've already had it done I figured I'd share this story. When my best friend was in high school she had her tonsils out. The problem was the sutures kept bursting. It was amazing- it happened twice. She literally had blood shooting out of her mouth!! I've never seen anything like it- projectile blood!! She had to have them recauterized twice. I hope I never have to have that done! I get strep throat a lot though, so someday I probably will.

emb_78

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by esrgirl

Since you've already had it done I figured I'd share this story. When my best friend was in high school she had her tonsils out. The problem was the sutures kept bursting. It was amazing- it happened twice. She literally had blood shooting out of her mouth!! I've never seen anything like it- projectile blood!! She had to have them recauterized twice. I hope I never have to have that done! I get strep throat a lot though, so someday I probably will.
OMG!!! I would freak out beyond belief!!!

dinahcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didnt have sutures.. mine were cauterized. They seem to be healing nicely, I guess, but I am still in alot of pain. Pain meds are still a necessity. I'm starting to crave certain foods though.... Onion rings sound fabulous, as well as a big mac. I havent been able to drink pop.. the carbonation hurts too much. I think I might make Mom stop today for some onion rings to see if I can eat them. I'll have to make sure that I chew them up reall good and mush them in my mouth well before I swallow them.

dinahcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update:

My throat hurts worse now than it did.
I mean, guys.. it's REALY painful!!! I've been taking the meds and sucking on the popsicles like crazy. The back of my tounge is very sore & swollen. Things look like they are healing nicely, so.. I really dont have cause for concern.. It just hurts like crazy! I've been living mostly on mashed potatoes & gravy, and tonight... I couldnt even finish them.. that is how bad it is hurting me. My mom is here for 2 more nights... I hope I start feeling better by then....

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor thing
I am so sorry,I know exactly how your feeling
Have you tried soaking in a hot bath, soak all the way down so your neck is under the water. If you have bubble bath add a little of that, it will relax you.