Tons of Puke, Now Barely Eating

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
About a month ago, I brought home a new kitty. He's about 1 year old and has been eating a mix of the food he had at the shelter and the wet food I feed my other kitties. He's been pretty good about eating until the other day, when he had some explosive puke. Since then, he hasn't really eaten much. I even went back to giving him only the food he was used to from the shelter, but he won't touch it. Is this something that might go on for a few days and then right itself? Or should I take him to the vet ASAP? Any signs that it's something more serious than an upset tummy?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He needs a vet. There's so many reasons a cat would vomit, not and or stop eating that medical attention is warranted. Especially if he has not seen one since you adopted him.

Cats need to eat daily or they can develop other health issues in addition to whatever is going on now.

Is he using his box ok? Do you notice any other unusual behaviors?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He needs a vet. There's so many reasons a cat would vomit, not and or stop eating that medical attention is warranted. Especially if he has not seen one since you adopted him.

Cats need to eat daily or they can develop other health issues in addition to whatever is going on now.

Is he using his box ok? Do you notice any other unusual behaviors?
Seconding this. Cats cannot go for long periods without eating at all. The outside limit is about 72 hours, but I don't let my girl go longer than 48 since she had a liver issue from not eating several years ago.
So I‘ve gotten him to nibble a bit, though not nearly as much as usual. He’s been using the box. I’m wondering if I need to try different food. Unfortunately I am snowed in at the moment. I won’t be able to take him until the roads get cleared :(

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried any human food, just to 'tide him over' if he will eat it? Boil some chicken, for example - something you may already have in your home? Even cooked, smashed up plain hamburger might be worth a try. Canned tuna in water?

Obviously, he will need to see a vet, but foods like these are something to try in the meantime. Cats will sometimes associate getting sick with the food they were eating, and then refuse to eat it for fear of being sick again.

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you tried any human food, just to 'tide him over' if he will eat it? Boil some chicken, for example - something you may already have in your home? Even cooked, smashed up plain hamburger might be worth a try. Canned tuna in water?

Obviously, he will need to see a vet, but foods like these are something to try in the meantime. Cats will sometimes associate getting sick with the food they were eating, and then refuse to eat it for fear of being sick again.
I think I have some chicken I can try. I think you might be right about him being afraid because I noticed he won't eat some of the treats I have either. He's still playful. I just had him chasing the red dot at full speed for like fifteen minutes and now he's playing with my other cats. I'll keep you guys posted! Thanks!

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think I have some chicken I can try. I think you might be right about him being afraid because I noticed he won't eat some of the treats I have either. He's still playful. I just had him chasing the red dot at full speed for like fifteen minutes and now he's playing with my other cats. I'll keep you guys posted! Thanks!
So I tried the chicken but he turned his nose up at it. I saw him sampling one of my other cat's food and tried to give him the same, but he walked away. For some insane reason, when I put down the kibble, he started eating it. It's not as much as he usually eats but he still ate a bunch. I guess I need to just keep watching him.

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm just going to keep updating this until I've resolved the issue. Tomorrow I'm taking the cat to the vet. I feel like I've tried every possible option and I can't quite make sense of it. When he first came home, he was eating just as much as my other cats. Now I feel like I've been begging him to eat every chance I get with very marginal success. Today I went to Petco and picked up some other food varieties to see if that made a difference. I usually don't buy food with chicken because of one of my other cats, but maybe the new cat just prefers it. He ate a little bit of chicken pate, but not an overwhelming amount. I might try putting the boiled chicken I made into the food processor as well.

As a side note, he still likes to jump and play with energy. He also is drinking a lot.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a cat goes off his food for a day, keep an eye on him but don't worry.
Sometimes cats just feel "off" the same way humans do.
If he doesn't show any other symptoms, it's okay for a cat to skip a day at the food bowl.

However, your cat had a bout of projectile vomiting. That's cause for concern.
You need to call a vet.

If a cat goes off his food for TWO days, it's time to call a vet and tell them what's up.
Keep an eye out for other symptoms so that, when you call the vet, you can tell them.
Litter box habits? Excessive meowing? Lethargy? Not playing like usual? Sleeping too much or not enough?
Make note of all of these things and anything else you notice.
Prepare to take the cat to the clinic if the vet advises. (Likely.)

If a cat goes off his food for THREE days, that's a problem! It's time to go to the vet!
Cats can't go for much longer than two or three days without eating anything or else they will get sick just from lack of food.
Besides, if there's something wrong that keeps a cat from eating that long, you've got a problem on your hands.
Again, keep track of symptoms and be ready to tell the vet when you get there.

As we said, if a cat projectile vomits, THAT'S probably reason enough to call a vet!

It COULD be just something the cat ate that doesn't agree with him. Cats often get into things they shouldn't.
It might be just rotten food. It might be something as simple as an upset stomach.
But it could also be an indicator of worms/parasites or even something worse.

BTW: As to litter box habits, the same rules apply as food:
1 day skipped = Keep an eye out but don't worry.
2 days skipped = Make a list of symptoms and call the vet.
3 days skipped = Trouble! Call the vet ASAP!

I'm pretty good with animals because I grew up with them for my entire life. Not to blow my own horn but I've seen a lot of things and I just know from experience but I ALSO know that I'm not a vet. I think you should call your vet ASAP.

The problem is that we can't see your cat and we can only go by what you report here. We might know a lot but we don't know everything. That's what we pay vets for...to know stuff we don't. ;)

Seriously! Call a vet!

Sending vibes! :vibes:

Thoughts and prayers be with you! 🙏

Casper sends his best, too! :whitecat:

nujay

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know sometimes when my Manx boy gets constipated, he will throw up and act mopey, he will eat a bit and drink water but he’s just not himself. Now the vet has me giving him miralax and it hasn’t been a problem. Maybe when you take him in they can see if he is constipated. I know you said he was using the box, but sometimes it’s hard to tell. I’m super paranoid about my cats eating because I’ve had a cat who died of hepatic lipidosis when he wasn’t eating while we were on vacation and we had a petsitter. When we got back he was sick, took him to the vet, force fed him for a month, but it was too late, his liver was too damaged. Cat’s livers can’t process a lot of fat when their body breaks it down if they’re not eating, and it collects in their liver.

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your replies. I'm happy to report he ate two full meals this morning (I fed him when I got up but so did my girlfriend lol). Definitely keeping an eye on him, but if he keeps eating, I'll breathe a sigh of relief. Side note, I know he's using the box because I have a litter robot and it records every movement.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Well, if he ate breakfast twice, he's on the way back to normal, at any rate! That was lovely to hear!

linkworshiper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yep! Thanks again. I also went and bought the kibble he had at the shelter and mixed it in with the other kibble I have. Seemed to do the trick.