Toning Down A Cat's Affection? (he Bites)

obijkenobi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This character is Oliver, or Ollie for short. Hes probably about 14 or 15 months old now. I have had him since Novemberish and he is the most affectionate cat I have ever had. He loves pets, cuddles, and rubbing his face against yours.

The last part is the issue though. He loves to jump on me when I am sitting or laying down and rubbing his face against me, which is fine. But eventually he will try the "love bites" on my face. This typically lasts for a second, but is mildly painful and definitely annoying. He does this regardless if I am petting him back during this time and my chin is my favorite target (maybe because of my beard?)

Anyway, any advice on how to get him to tone the bites down? We have already had an incident where I could have hurt him on accident or he could have injured me (I was dozing off and he basically almost love bit my eye. In pain/shock/not knowing what wqs going on I pushed him away and he flew off the bed :/ )

Attachments

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
If he love bites when rubbing your face, I would discourage that behavior by moving him down to your side when he starts to rub on your face. And even then if he seems to be getting ready to bite, put him down and walk away.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We did have a poster once that was injured by a startled cat that was on the face. Another forum user said I shouldn't try and scare people based on a freak occurrence, they let their cat chill on their face all the time, lol. So I dunno, do what feels right to you, but if it was me I'd definitely move the cat when he does that. To me, the chest is fine, but the face is off limits, unless we are talking barely reaching the chin when squarely on your chest.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
Right but if being there he will eventually bite and either hurt you or cause you to lose your temper, it isn’t a good spot for him. Just move him down to your lap or at least lower on your chest,

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I'd say is that I'd only lie like that with your head against a wall/headboard so that if scared by something your cat doesn't run over your head.

My chest-sitting cat doesn't like the other cat, used to be worse, now its mild. Back when it was worse she sprang off my chest many times, and it quite often left scratches on my chest.

But I know people with more chill cats allow this all the time, so whatever your comfortable with.