Tomorrow Trooper has to have eye removed

Pecoraro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
After 4 weeks the graft on his eye gave way and he is in pain again. He is going to have surgery tomorrow and I am devastated for him. Has anyone‘s cat had this surgery and how do they do. He has been so good with the drops etc and I feel defeated that he is due for more pain.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm so sorry that Trooper's eye graft didn't take for him. I haven't needed to have this done on any cat before so I'm sorry I can't offer any advice for you.

I've heard cats do well with one eye and it should alleviate any pain in the future.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have not ever had an eye removed in a personal pet, but it is not an uncommon procedure. If Trooper is in pain, he will feel great relief when the eye is gone. Cats do very well with one eye and you should not notice much of a change in his behavior once he heals. Personally, I would keep him indoors for his personal safety, but he should be the same cat he has always been once this whole long ordeal is over. He may not be aware of anyone approaching him from that side, especially in the beginning.

You tried the graft and it did not work. If the idea of the eye removal bothers you on some personal level, you certainly tried the alternative before moving on to this decision.

My vet brought his one eyed Labrador to work with him for years and she acted like any normal dog with two eyes. Make sure that you are clear on all instructions following the procedure...antibiotics, any cleaning routine if necessary, care of the wound, and use of a cone. It may be important for a cone to be used and there are various kinds on the market, some more comfortable than others. I have only ever seen eyes which were sewn shut, so stitches will probably be involved.

Eye Removal (Enucleation) in Pets
This is a popular article which is used by several veterinary sites and may help with questions.

Please let us know how Trooper does.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I fostered a kitten who had an eye removed and he acted like a very normal kitten. Like fionasmom fionasmom said, your baby should feel relief once this is done. I had a cat with glaucoma and we knew there could be a point where she needed enucleation. If it meant less pain or discomfort for her we would've done it. Luckily, Trooper has you to help with adaptations!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pecoraro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that Trooper's eye graft didn't take for him. I haven't needed to have this done on any cat before so I'm sorry I can't offer any advice for you.

I've heard cats do well with one eye and it should alleviate any pain in the future.
Thank you so much for caring

Pecoraro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have not ever had an eye removed in a personal pet, but it is not an uncommon procedure. If Trooper is in pain, he will feel great relief when the eye is gone. Cats do very well with one eye and you should not notice much of a change in his behavior once he heals. Personally, I would keep him indoors for his personal safety, but he should be the same cat he has always been once this whole long ordeal is over. He may not be aware of anyone approaching him from that side, especially in the beginning.

You tried the graft and it did not work. If the idea of the eye removal bothers you on some personal level, you certainly tried the alternative before moving on to this decision.

My vet brought his one eyed Labrador to work with him for years and she acted like any normal dog with two eyes. Make sure that you are clear on all instructions following the procedure...antibiotics, any cleaning routine if necessary, care of the wound, and use of a cone. It may be important for a cone to be used and there are various kinds on the market, some more comfortable than others. I have only ever seen eyes which were sewn shut, so stitches will probably be involved.

This is a popular article which is used by several veterinary sites and may help with questions.

I fostered a kitten who had an eye removed and he acted like a very normal kitten. Like fionasmom fionasmom said, your baby should feel relief once this is done. I had a cat with glaucoma and we knew there could be a point where she needed enucleation. If it meant less pain or discomfort for her we would've done it. Luckily, Trooper has you to help with adaptations!
Thank you, much appreciated.

Pecoraro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you for your reply, makes me feel better

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Just make sure they give you ample pain medications for any pain that will occur post op, once he is home.