Tommy

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I volunteer for a cat sanctuary which has FELK+ cats, among other healthy/feral/FIV+ cats. Some of the friendliest cats are in the FeLK room so that's where I and my twin sister go after we scoop poop in the general population room.

Tommy was a one-person cat only; he would chase away any cat who dare interfere with anyone petting him. Tommy gave me hugs, he'd climb up onto my thighs, then my chest, to get closer to me. When he had enough petting, he go to eat some food to get more comfort.
And then perhaps back to me.
He started to lose weight, then instead of eating, he'd drink water. And, he'd let Lionel (kitten, FELK+) climb on him to get to me. Yet his blood work was 'okay'.

I just learned that he died suddenly, after he ate some breakfast.
I am heart broken. I wanted to give him one last hug, one last pet. To let him know I loved him.
I'm crying more for him than I did for my mother.
God help me if I feel this sad for a cat I barely knew, how I will feel when Ritz passes on.
But despite my sadness, it's all worth knowing such a wonderful cat as Tommy.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
aww... heartbreaking story... but ohhhh he knew you loved him... I'm so sorry.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Awww, they really worm their way into our hearts. RIP, Tommy. :rbheart: You were loved even if you didn't have a family of your own.

zoneout

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tommy looks a lot like my cat precious that passed in June. I had to do a double-take. She behaved the same way too... Didn't care for other cats but was very affectionate with me. It's difficult for me to say this but like you I am grieving over her loss longer than my mother. It's tearing me up inside. I think I came to acceptance of my mothers passing because she had liver cancer - there was nothing anyone could do. But there is a gnawing feeling that I could have done more to save precious even though she was 13. I miss her very much.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, it occurred to me that I did see Tommy the day before he died. He was sitting, snoozing on my lap, calmly but very low energy. I leaned over him, gave him a big kiss ("that's what humans do, we kiss"), told him I loved him, and then left.
Wish I'd spent more time with him.
But he was well taken care of, given as much food as he cared to eat, and good medical care.
Pets give us unconditional love, I think some parents condition their love, whether they know it or not.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You have honored your beautiful Tommy by giving us this wonderful tribute to him. Bless you for caring for him and all those special cats who need love and attention so much, you are an angel on earth. My heart goes out to you, I know what it is to miss them so much and to have your heart broken, but remember you are helping so many by doing what you do, even if it seems a burden to your heart at times. You gave him comfort and love which he needed so desperately,try not to dwell on his passing, but celebrate the love you two shared as I'm sure he would want. Thank you for letting us get to know this wonderful cat, please let us share your pain and pray for a cure for all those horrible diseases out there. RIP beautiful Tommy!

Last edited:

adventureme

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about Tommy. It breaks my heart too. 

I believe, one day, we will all see the animals we cared for and loved on the other side. 

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do believe spirits of animals visit us just as spirits of people. So last night in bed while saying my prayers, I 'talked' to him, telling him I love him, hope he's having fun Over the Rainbow Bridge. Giving him a psychic kiss.
I plan to go over to where he lived (at the cat sanctuary, Rude Ranch, in the FeLK+ room) this weekend and Just. Sit.
I do not know where/if he is buried on the property; some cats are, some aren't.
And will donate some money in his memory.
Still tearing up...

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do believe spirits of animals visit us just as spirits of people. So last night in bed while saying my prayers, I 'talked' to him, telling him I love him, hope he's having fun Over the Rainbow Bridge. Giving him a psychic kiss.
I plan to go over to where he lived (at the cat sanctuary, Rude Ranch, in the FeLK+ room) this weekend and Just. Sit.
I do not know where/if he is buried on the property; some cats are, some aren't.
And will donate some money in his memory.
Still tearing up...

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He looked like such a sweet boy.  Our Buster FELK+ and lived to be probably over 20.  I was so glad we didn't follow the vet's advice to have him PTS at an early age.  I'm very sorry for your loss. 

snugglecat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a handsome boy. I am so sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers go out to you during this difficult time.

RIP sweet Tommy

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you. I visited the room where he lived (and the other FeLK+ cats). Lillian (around six months old) came over and sat on my lap the entire time I was there, even when I moved from the bench down to the floor. Still sad; the room is empty without him. Lillian's brother (also FeLK+) died about two weeks ago from FIP. Perhaps there is now space for another Tommy Boy.