Tommy was hit by a car tonight

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, another hard question -

How long before I give up that he will ever come back?

There has been no sign of him now and it's been over a week. At what point is it reasonable to think he has either died or moved on to a "safer" place?

It's hurtful to not know, but at some point, I feel like I need to stop and get some closure.

Right now I'm still putting food and water out at night until I go to bed (otherwise the raccoons will come).

You all are so much more experienced with ferals than I am.

Thanks again,

catmom5

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if you saw and know for a fact he was hit by a car and badly... I would just give him up as dead even if you haven't found him.  You may never.  He would have hidden himself from predators if he could. 

But, I have had cats disappear (growing up) and be gone for months or even 2 years and show back up again... I know it's them because they would still have their collars on them!  You just never know with cats that are outdoors.  But I would say Tommy won't be returning and the next time you see him, it will be at the Bridge. 

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's the thing - I saw him run, saw the car coming and my neighbor heard a thud. I didn't see the actual hit, but she said he got right up and ran (wobbled) up the driveway across the street. I don't know how badly he was hurt. There are fences (chain link and wooden) all along the backyards where he ran into, but there could be little openings that I couldn't see, too. That's the tough part.

pugsanonymous

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Based on what happened it sounds like Tommy has passed on by now, but I would probably keep putting food and water out for a while anyway in hopes that maybe by some chance he is ok. This probably isn't the right answer and others would say to accept that he's gone, but I'm like you where it would be hard to have closure if you haven't seen or found him. I would probably hold out hope for a while longer. I would think to myself that maybe he is healing somewhere and will make his way back. I'm so sorry this happened to you (and Tommy of course) and understand how sad you must feel. I said a little prayer that Tommy will somehow be ok and come back.

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's the thing - I saw him run, saw the car coming and my neighbor heard a thud. I didn't see the actual hit, but she said he got right up and ran (wobbled) up the driveway across the street. I don't know how badly he was hurt. There are fences (chain link and wooden) all along the backyards where he ran into, but there could be little openings that I couldn't see, too. That's the tough part.

There is still a little hope though. If you did not see a hit, it's possible that it could only be a leg injury or something, and he just hasn't found his way back to you yet? I'm so so sorry hon. I know how this feels, and going without closure is the hardest part. If he's okay, maybe you'll see him again one day. And if he did find his way into heaven, be sure you'll see him again at the Bridge one day. If he is an angel kitty now, I'm sure he's up there playing with my Ruby and Candy right now.

I'm praying for you and Tommy. Vibes from my family, my kitties and I!

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks  - my neighbor said she saw him hit. So he was hit.

lonepinestore

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm new here. I been posting in the New Cats. I only saw your post last night. So sorry.  I dread that happening to any of my 5 ferals. I have  a suggestion that worked for me.

I am hoping Tommy is out there. Tommy may be across the road and has no intention of going near a road again. I suggest you place a trap across the road, if possible. Put food and a piece of material with your odor or the odor of a companion cat in the trap.  Check the trap before you go to bed and disable it. You don't want to leave Tommy or another animal in the trap all night.

We temporarily lost Spice near the vet's office about 3 miles from home.  The vet suggested putting the blanket with the odor of one of his companion cats in the trap. Next morning we  got him back. We left the trap over night.  The next morning, Spice was found banging his head on the wire side of the trap. Next time I'll find a softer sided  trap.

Traps can usually be borrowed from the County Animal Control.  Tell them you are trapping, neutering and releasing.  

Good luck.

lonepinestore

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In my experience, a cat that has been hit can make amazing speed for a few seconds, but will always go in an almost straight line to the first hiding place.  It may be under a bush, under a car, or some such thing, but I have seen cats that were so injured I could not believe they could even move make it 50-100 feet.  If your neighbor saw the direction he went after being hit, you would almost certainly find him along that line.

It IS possible Tommy was scared as much as anything, and just learned his lesson about the street. 

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your comments and shared experiences. We searched right after the accident along the fence lines where he ran. I have since searched backyards, front yards and wherever I could get to to search for him.

The other big concern I have is that we are having 100+ temperatures with NO rain, so it would be hard for him to be hydrated. I'm sure that if he's injured, the weather makes it harder. No one (except raccoons one night) has touched the food or water I've left out. I think I will use up the wet food I have for him (about 2 more weeks worth) and then stop.

You all are the greatest support and I appreciate you.

catmom5

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for your comments and shared experiences. We searched right after the accident along the fence lines where he ran. I have since searched backyards, front yards and wherever I could get to to search for him.
The other big concern I have is that we are having 100+ temperatures with NO rain, so it would be hard for him to be hydrated. I'm sure that if he's injured, the weather makes it harder. No one (except raccoons one night) has touched the food or water I've left out. I think I will use up the wet food I have for him (about 2 more weeks worth) and then stop.
You all are the greatest support and I appreciate you.
catmom5

My heart goes out to you... More of these :hugs: :vibes: :hugs: :vibes: :hugs: :vibes: and am saying prayers for Tommy, wherever he is.... :sniffle: You have a good heart and I am sorry for what you have endured of late. :hugs: :hugs: :Tilt Heart:

catmom5

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yesterday a woman called me about a black cat hit by a car on a highway not far from my house. She had seen one of the fliers I put out when Tommy was hit. I don't know if it was him or not, it could have been, but whoever it was is off of the road now and will be cremated. It would be good to know for sure, but I probably never will.

RIP Black Cat

catmom5

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yesterday a woman called me about a black cat hit by a car on a highway not far from my house. She had seen one of the fliers I put out when Tommy was hit. I don't know if it was him or not, it could have been, but whoever it was is off of the road now and will be cremated. It would be good to know for sure, but I probably never will.
RIP Black Cat
catmom5

OH no.... :eek:hno: I am so sorry that this has stirred up your emotions over Tommy again.... It truly is heartbreaking about what happened to Tommy :shame: I do not think it was him, hun :hugs: Even as time goes by, it is hard to not wonder IF they survived somehow. But I really think that Tommy is in a better place. :rbheart: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

RIP Black kitty :rbheart: :angel:

tomcat50

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
there's nothing wrong in keeping up hope...good luck,hope he comes back to you.