Tom Cat Attacking Cats & Kittens (rabies Unlikely)

NeoTin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
This old stray female cat gave birth to 3 kittens at the basement in our building. Some dogs attacked them and the mom and 1 of the sibling died. We were totally unaware of all this until i saw these 2 kittens wandering around the place, calling out to their mom. I started feeding them, twice a day..warm milk etc. I have been feeding them ever since that day. It's been 6 months, they live downstairs...they hunt, play around, they're perfectly alright. Pair of siblings- 1 male (named him Tom)& 1 female (kitty).

Other than that, there are 2 other cats there- one adult female who gave birth recently and is healthy but doesn't quite like tom & kitty but she lives with them.
Now there's this rather old Tomcat who doesnt live here but lives in adjacent buildings and comes for food occasionally(He is the father to tom and kitty and to those other kittens...there's no other male cat around and all these cats resemble him completely). Lets just call him the dad for convenience.

Now what has happened is, kitty (that 6-7 month old kitten) who is btw very docile and does not trouble anyone...is being frequently attacked by that dad. When im there he doesn't attack her but I've heard her screaming and being attacked by him MULTIPLE TIMES, sometimes from the window etc AND TRIED TO STOP IT. Today i saw such a big wound on her which seemed like she'd been attacked.

So my question is WHY IS THE DAD ATTACKING HER AND WHAT CAN I DO TO STOP IT? The dad attacks that other cat too(the one who had kittens) but she can defend herself.

All these are stray cats. I feed them daily. Please let me know what is needed to protect these kittens until they are strong enough to defend themselves.

Thank you so much.
I'm extremely sorry for such a long post (just thought you should know the history).

Hoping to receive some help :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NeoTin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there any way i can get rid of that dad
I literally cannot afford to get them spayed...i don't have pets for the same reason. I cannot meet up to these expenses.

I'll be on a lookout for a TNR programme.

Is there anything else I can do?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you can get the tom cat trapped by a TNR program, they will likely take all the cats and have them all neutered/spayed. But, you could ask if just the one could be trapped now, and leave the rest. Or, you can ask for return of some of the cats after spaying, but I don't know if that would obligate you to help pay for their neutering/spaying.

Just so you know, the brother and sister will be mating as soon as they mature, creating more strays regardless of what happens to the tom cat.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi NeoTin and welcome to the forum !

It sounds like the docile kitten
- may/will need Vet attention for the wound
- might benefit from removal from there, perhaps fostered​

Perhaps more of them could be removed......searching for "rescue organizations" will open up more options.

Expand your search for resources.....Google exactly this: "cat rescue in (name of your town/city)"

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Just echoing what everyone else has said so far... you need to get them all spayed/neutered (could be free if you contact a TNR place).... if not you could have bigger issues in a few months. In-breeding on top of that.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:Just in case you can’t get help from a group quickly enough to stop this you can usually borrow a trap from a group or animal control to try and catch him. The National Pay Alliance and perhaps your local animal control, Humane Society or rescue group may have acces to grant money to help you get the male and even other kitties neutered and spayed. It’s really important that you stop the breeding. It you get the male fixed and must return him to the colony then he should help to keep other males away. Catching the babies means you can easily get them used to people and more easily find safe homes for them. I know it might seem overwhelming but I have been on your shoes. I live on a fixed income, am not young, and had a colony that swelled into over 100. It took a bit of looking but every single one got spayed/neutered, rabies shot and eventually I was able to move on to getting most placed in safe and loving homes.
I’m so glad you came to thecatsite for help. There are lots of great people here who care give you tips and advice. You are not alone in what you are doing. Thank you so much for helping those cats!!!! :thanks:We love you for doing that. Welcome!!! Please keep us updated and post back if you need more information. We look forward to hearing how things are going for you and the kitties. ( some vets services can be assisted through funding as well for the hurt kitten. I would take her in to a kind vet and tell them her story. Maybe they will help her. Most vets have websites and maybe they could take her to find her a home if they are told how she is being attacked) Help is out there! You’re doing a great job!:rock:

NeoTin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What arw the first signs of rabies in cats their age, that is, 8 months or so?

NeoTin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH.
It means a lot.
Thanks for appreciating my efforts.
I'll take care of them.
Thanks for the help.
God bless you all❤